Crypt key missing, 'recover amulet' quest now broken

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
forteanajones
Pledge

Crypt key missing, 'recover amulet' quest now broken

Post by forteanajones »

For some reason, my key to the crypt in North Parish has gone missing and the crypt keeper doesn't offer (or have, if I were to kill or steal from him) another one. I only have one point in Lockpicking and bashing with a weapon doesn't work on the door. I had gone into the crypt before, but wasn't powerful enough to make it all the way at the time and put it on hold.

The Grimmhold "dying soldier" quest is also acting up. The soldier who had totally died is dying again, but he doesn't give any quests and some of the areas where all the goblins are seem to have reset, although I should mention that the "Security Key" that I obtained there is still in my inventory.

Quest journal looks fine - has all the quests that it should. Anyone have any idea what's going on and if I can do anything about it?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Crypt key missing, 'recover amulet' quest now broken

Post by Vroqren »

To answer your first question, I believe any weapon will work on the door into his bedroom. It may take a while, but you should be able to get the key from there.
You probably don't need the key again though, because you said you'd already been in there. That means that the door is unlocked, and would explain why the key went missing. Just try to walk there, and check to see if the door is somehow locked again.

I'm not sure what to do about the soldier, sorry.

The "Security Key" you have is used in the crypt. It opens a door fairly close to the end of the crypt though, which would explain why you haven't used it yet.

Hope this is of help!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
forteanajones
Pledge

Post by forteanajones »

Thanks for this.

I was able to get into his bedroom, just wasn't able to open the cabinet until I finally decided to bash away for as long as possible (opened up when my longsword got down to 7%).

The Grimmhold quest may not really be broken, I'm just a bit confused about the undying soldier and the enemy/chest/door/gate resets.

Thanks again.

[EDIT] Turns out the crypt items and monsters all reset, which I view as a good thing from a resale and experience perspective. However, I sense a bug that could be exploited.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Glad to help. Soon, I'll have a walkthrough posted. If you have any more questions, you could check that.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests