Now I've divided the 'Engine Bugs' at the top of the list into basically 3 sections: engine bugs BW should definitely tackle with the next update of Book I, engine bugs that BW should probably do now (to make Book I "consistent" with Book II) but which BW could also wait on before "fixing", and "larger" engine/gameplay changes that probably shouldn't be made to Book I until the full-on 'Platinum Edition' of Book I is released.
In any case, I think this list is nearly completely 'all-inclusive'. But if anyone knows anything missing from this bugs list, just post to this thread, or PM me!
P.S. BW - if you see this, you may want to 'sticky' this thread...
Known BOOK I BUGS, as of v1.05/v1.06:
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-ENGINE (required):
- Linux only(?): Problem with French(only?...) keyboards, Linux, and an inability to preset Quick-Set Spells because the game app won't recognize the number keys (reported: Not able to set quick spell under Linux thread)
- MAC only(?): I am seeing a lot more of this graphics issue in v1.06 than I ever did before - it would be good if this issue could be tracked down... (it may be an apps conflict, or may even be caused by running Mac OS's Dashboard while running the Book I game app...)
- In my most recent playthrough, I have seen repeated instances of attempting to mix a potion in the Alchemy Mixer when either the Reagent, the Reactant, or the Empty Flask could not be placed into the Alchemy Mixer, nor can it be placed back in the Inventory! (hitting the ESC key, and then reopening the Inventory allows one to "start the process over", allowing one to replace the alchemical reagents back in to the Inventory...) - this seems to happen (at least some of the time) when I've had an issue with using CONTROL-Click to separate the reagent/flask items in the mixing process...
- I'm also seeing rare instances where the game app won't recognize keyboard strikes (e.g. the X-key for opening and closing stats/inventory indoors), outside of the ESC-key - quitting and restarting the game app will "fix" the issue
- Exploit: Pressing "T" key for (lighting a) Torch doesn't take a round, but hitting the Torch *Button* does (just like it used to in Book II, too) (reported: Question about torch "Flash Attack" thread, starting here) (confirmed that bug is still present in v1.06)
- (Unconfirmed?) Exploit: Issue with hitting the Space Bar (or the mouse button) in very quick succession passing a player 'multiple turns within a regular game turn' - e.g. allowing exploitably fast regeneration of MP's, and exploitably fast overcoming of Hive Queen's 'paralyzation'(?) (but issue may only be seen with magic-using characters?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 (Book I) thread)
- Exploit: On non-Mac platforms (or Linux only maybe?...) holding CTRL and the right mouse button simultaneously causes the action you're taking to happen over and over again very rapidly in quick succession passing multiple turns for the player, but not for mobs (discussed: in Book I forum Just Finished thread)
- It would be good if SHIFT-Clicking the "Start" button at game's start would automatically skip to the game's Main Menu, as it does in Book II
- Is it (easily?) possible to add the ability to use the SHIFT-click to change the character's facing direction, a la Book II?...
- Quick-Traveling does not advance time-of-day as it does in Book II...
- Exploit: Taking something out of your Inventory and "holding it with the cursor" removes that weight from your Encumbrance (just like it used to in Book II, too) - if you then hit "W" (or the keyboard keys for moving, or Quick-Travel), you can walk around without that item's weight in your Encumbrance (reported: Carrying more than you should thread, and also here)
- Have weapons/armor switches cost a turn, a la Book II (note: This kind of more "radical" change to Book I's gameplay maybe(probably?) shouldn't be implemented until the "Platinum Edition"...)
- Cut the weight of the Chronometer from 12 pounds
- Make Air Shield a 'Tier 2' spell, a la Book II(?)...
- Autostacking (purchased, etc.) items in the inventory, a la Book II, would be a really, really welcome modification!
Other (more minor) suggestions:
- Invisibility (and Haste?) potions effects too long in Book I?
- Improve Shields, a la Book II???...
- Increase the duration of the Reveal Map spell to a flat 100 or 160 Turns, rather than making the spell's duration dependent on level-cast-at
- None (at least, none that we're likely to see before Book III!!...)
- At map transitions into the Western Tangletree forest map, the Narrative Text Box incorrectly identifies it as "Western Tanglewood" instead of Western Tangletree (confirmed that typo/bug is still present in v1.06)
- The script for the grid next to the door to get at Lilith's chest is likely missing a "destroy script" command - the result is the potential to inadvertently unleash a "bee swarm" (reported by: Jedi_Learner, here - confirmed that bug is still present in v1.06)
- 'Blocked' grid on Grimmhold Maintenance Level at X=79,Y=38
- "Trapped in trees" condition 'transition' errors: traveling from east to west from Baron's Thicket to Vela from the following coordinates: X=1,Y=59 & X=1,Y=61 (but X=1,Y=63 is 'barriered'; and X=1,Y=65 transitions OK) - I would advise 'barriering' X=1,Y=59 & X=1,Y=61 too (reported: Stuck in trees, traveling from Barron's Thicket to Vela thread - confirmed that map bugs are still present in v1.06)
- "Trapped in trees" condition 'transition' error: traveling due south from Western Tangletree to NE Crakamir from the following coordinate: X=63,Y=195 - dunno how BW should "fix" this one… (reported: Programing trap. thread - confirmed that this map bug is still present in v1.06)
- You can cross the Rift at X=32,Y=105 of the Northeast Crakamir map, and I'm guessing you shouldn't be able to...
- "Trapped in mountains" condition 'transition' errors: traveling east to west from Northeast Crakamir to Northern Crakamir from the following coordinates: X=1,Y=59 & X=1,Y=61 - these two grids should also be 'barriered' (reported: My bug list. Game Version - 1.04 thread - confirmed that map bugs are still present in v1.06)
- 'Barrier' error: Can get to "void" area of the Whistling Cave map at X=62,Y=122 of Whistling Cave map (I've asked Jedi_Learner to look this map over with xolotl's map editor, and this is the only 'barrier error' he could find on this map - so hopefully this is the only Whistling Cave barrier error! ) (reported: My bug list. Game Version - 1.04 thread - confirmed that map bug is still present in v1.06)
- 'Barrier' errors (multiple!): Can get to "void" areas at X=82,Y=35 ('barrier' should actually be at X=84,Y=36); X=89,Y=31 ('barrier' should actually be at X=89,Y=30); and X=93,Y=35 ('barrier' should actually be at X=94,Y=36) of the Blackwater Region map (reported: My bug list. Game Version - 1.04 thread - confirmed that these map bugs are still present in v1.06))
- If attacked, Siam's casting of a spell still crashes the game (i.e. bug NOT fixed with v1.05, though it may have slightly improved with v1.05 - i.e. game app now lasts a split second longer than it did with v1.04 before crashing) (reported: long-standing (known) bug)
- "Imbuing" Demon Oils destroys their ability to be used as Demon Oils! - the game app should probably prevent you from Imbuing Demon Oils (reported: My bug list. Game Version - 1.04 thread)
- Can't quaff Mana Potions when MP is "full", or Healing Potions when HP is "full" - should be able to, in order to generate an Empty Flask, as you can now in Book II (i.e. just like "pouring a potion out, on to the ground...") (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread - confirmed that bug is still present in v1.06)
- I once was awoken from camping at night by a group of Goblin Archers (outside the Mercenary camp in the Blackwater Region) and they were not assessed a darkness penalty when they attacked like they should have been despite it being dark out (note: I had just cast a Predator Sight spell, if it makes any difference...). But it only happened once (I had a camp encounter like this a second time, and the Goblin Archers were assessed the darkness penalty the second time...)
- Going to the Underground Repository before visiting Lilith will cause The Strange Amulet to be ID'ed, which then prevents Lilith from ever offering your character the Hive Queen quest (reported: Strange Amulet Bug thread)
- Related to the above(?): If you kill the Hive Queen (and accept Vidar The Knife's Quest too?...), Lilith will not offer your character the Hive Queen quest, which means you may not be able to get The Strange Amulet ID'ed (at least, by Lilith) (reported: Strange Amulet Bug thread, here)
- See Jedi_Learner's post in this thread, below, about the 'Destroy Script' command not successfully avoiding the possibility meeting the Shady Character twice in the same game at different locations...
- Quick Traveling doesn't "expire" turn-dependent spells like it should - e.g. Reveal Map, Gravedigger's Flame, etc. "last beyond" a 'Quick Travel'! (used to also be an issue in Book II, until it was "fixed")
- Issues with Entangle spell effects (reported: Broken entangle thread) (also (was?) an issue in Book II - see On "Buffing" thread, this post (Entangle section))
- Issues with Cat's Eyes assessment of a 'Darkness penalty' being dependent on an attacker's *direction* of attack (reported: Eshcalon: Book II version 1,04 BETA, starting this post) (also an issue in Book I - see On "Buffing" thread, this post (Cat's Eyes section))
- Get no "Save/Fail to Save" descriptive text messages in the Narrative Text Box accompanying the casting of the Dancing Lights spell on a target (reported: ???? thread - I can confirm that this is true, though)
- Eschalon: Book I's eschalon.cfg file says "Screen Refresh Rate (Hz) -- 60Hz is recommended for best performace!" - "performance" is spelled wrong!
- Various typos in 4 of the 5 "Death" (end-of-game) messages (reported: The Death Messages thread) (was also an issue in Book II before it was "fixed")
- Typos/grammatical errors in a few of the Spell descriptions (e.g. reported, for Book II, here: Grammatical Errors - Part 5 thread - probably a number of these overlap with Book I's spells. though)
- IMPORTANT: A whole slew of typos, that I think are still present in the game can be found in this post from DewiMorgan
- The name of the scroll/magic items merchant in Blackwater is *Vekkar*, but in the Quest Journal his name is spelled incorrectly as *Vezzar*
- The Item is spelled the "Burley Acorn", the description says "...burley-looking oak tree", and the Quest Journal says a "Burley Oak Tree" - should all be spelled the "Burly Acorn" (and the "Burly Oak") - check also Vekkar's dialogue options to make sure "Burly" is spelled correctly
- A couple of instances the wizards name being spelled "Erudor" instead of the correct "Erubor" (reported: My bug list. Game Version - 1.04 thread)
- Erubor's dialogue makes reference to "...a Ranger Lord of Tanglewood..." - it should almost certainly say "...a Ranger Lord of Tangletree..."
- On the character creation/Level-Up screen, there is a message at the bottom of the screen that says, "You cannot raise any skill more than 5 points per character level." - it should instead probably say, "You cannot raise any skill more than 5 Points per character Level-Up."