[exploit] Item duplication

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I

Should this exploit be eliminated in a future patch?

Of course!!
80%
No! It's a nice cheat! :D
20%

Total votes: 41

Gwendo
Apprentice

[exploit] Item duplication

Post by Gwendo »

I kinda like this exploit, but here it is.

You just have to click an item, so that it will get "glued" to your cursor. Then I hit ESC and restore a saved game. The saved game loads and a window appears saying that if I drop the item, it will be lost. I select no, and place it in my inventory (or quick slots). There it is: duplicated item.

The best part is that it doubles stacked items, so if I were holding 8 potions, I'll end up with 16 potions!!!

:D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

:lol: Man, you people are like jackals scavenging scraps of meat from a carcass! If there is an exploit, you are going to find it!! :lol:
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

That could potentially ruin the game : too easy a way of making you filthy rich, or having the best items of the game in multiples...
And duplicating important items or quest items could possibly bring bugs or crashes (an object still in the inventory when it shouldn't anymore...)
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

PaSquall wrote:That could potentially ruin the game : too easy a way of making you filthy rich, or having the best items of the game in multiples...
And duplicating important items or quest items could possibly bring bugs or crashes (an object still in the inventory when it shouldn't anymore...)
I keep hearing people saying this about exploits, and how the exploit could ruin the game... I just don't get that? Surely the player has the choice not to use the exploit? Who would want to 'ruin' their own game intentionally...?

I can see how someone playing the game might think; 'okay just 8 more cure potions and that'll do...' and it's a slippery slope and all... but it is their choice.

That said I'm all for removing it.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
LethalBlade
Apprentice

Post by LethalBlade »

Definitely remove it, it's way too tempting.
Azael
Initiate

Post by Azael »

Well, I'm also in the camp that it's up to the player to decide if he wants to "ruin" his game or not. Still, this exploit should probably be removed in a future patch in order to avoid any potential problems from it.
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

ofcause it should be patched :/
Zoggles
Initiate

Post by Zoggles »

Well the exploit is not just limited to 'duplicating items'. The same method allows you to loot a chest over and over - keeping the good items you find in there.

1. Save game before opening the chest.
2. Open chest.
3. Pick up good item so its glued to the cursor.
4. Restore previous save.
5. Say 'no' to the discard screen (if it shows up - during testing, sometimes it doesnt seem to appear)
6. Place item in your inventory.
7. Back to step one.

It also allows you to transfer items between saved characters - again using the same system.

Definately should be squished - i.e. anything glued to the cursor is automatically cleared when loading/restoring.

-Z-
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

BasiliskWrangler wrote::lol: Man, you people are like jackals scavenging scraps of meat from a carcass! If there is an exploit, you are going to find it!! :lol:
And if you fix it, we will find the new one the fix created... muahhahahhaha {evil laugh}.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
Grimtooth
Initiate

Post by Grimtooth »

PhilosophiX wrote:I keep hearing people saying this about exploits, and how the exploit could ruin the game... I just don't get that? Surely the player has the choice not to use the exploit? Who would want to 'ruin' their own game intentionally...?

I can see how someone playing the game might think; 'okay just 8 more cure potions and that'll do...' and it's a slippery slope and all... but it is their choice.

That said I'm all for removing it.

And I for one can't understand how people don't realize how these 'cheats' totally ruin the game, especially for people who can't resist the temptation.

Hell, while at it, they could just add an "I Win" button in the interface that would kill all the monsters around you. :roll: Anyone weak willed would give up after losing a fight a couple of times and just use it.

Like said, the game is old-school, it's meant to be challenging.

DOWN WITH CAREBEARS! :twisted:
Avaz
Pledge

Post by Avaz »

Just downloaded v1.04 demo two days ago, and so far I love it!

Just wanted to comment on the item duplication thing, though.

It must have been fixed for 1.04 because when I have an item glued to the cursor and hit ESC, I get a message saying "You must drop any item currently held before you can access the Options Menu"

Or maybe I'm not doing it right.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, another point. Bug, actually. I saved a game (img 1) this morning and came back to it to load the same save and it made me a waterwalker (img 2). However, just reloading the same savegame fixed it and took me back to where I was supposed to be. :)