[possible bug in Vela] MAJOR SPOILER

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Myll
Initiate

[possible bug in Vela] MAJOR SPOILER

Post by Myll »

I entered a room on a island in Vela and received this intro when entering:

"This building is a place of suffering and nightmares. Devices of torture lay about, as do human bones and scraps of clothing. A rancid cauldron of boiled-down fat adds a putrid stench to the air. Amid this horror you see a man hanging from a rack. He seems to still be alive."

The problem is that there is no rack containing a man.
If this is where Im supposed to find more information about the quest it seems like Im in serious trouble.

Can anyone please advice if this is a bug, or just misleading and wrong into text.

Thanks

Playing on patch 1.01 and can provide a savegame if required.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

one time i approached the building a bomber-goblin ran into the house and bombed the brother dead.

the next try i took course to the right side of the house, so the bomber walked past the entrance of the house towards me and the brother stayed alive.
Myll
Initiate

Post by Myll »

Thanks for the reply.

There is no body as well, only two skeletons with the boiling pot.

I took out the goblin bomber when killing the tauren, so I dubt it was that one messing it up.
Myll
Initiate

Post by Myll »

Another update, I reloaded to an earlier save and went directly there, I killed the same amount of units outside, but this time I could see the body hanging there when I approached the house. I were able to talk to him this time.

There is defently a bug here.

The only thing I did different, is that the first time I killed the commander at the other side of the town to get the key before going here. Perhaps that is what triggered the bug.
syrio
Apprentice

Post by syrio »

thanks for spoiling that brother thing :roll:
why did you have to put that in the topic title, especially since you didn't even have to mention him while describing the bug itself?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Changed topic.

I will look into it.
Noceur
Initiate

Post by Noceur »

It happened to me as well, one goblin hacker ran into the room and killed the guy. An earlier save fixed it though (i.e, all the goblins attacked me from across the bridge). (with patch 1.02)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Okay, in 1.03 I will have that torture house locked down so that Bombthugs can't ruin it.

Here's a UNTESTED workaround for now:

1. Leave Vela. Save your game either in the Blackwater area or Baron's Thicket area. Now exit the game.
2. Go into your saved games, and into slot that you just saved into.
3. Delete the files "22.map", "22.ent", and "22.opq"
4. Restart the game and enter Vela. The map should be reset. You'll have to clear out the Goblins again, but your brother should be alive again.
Noceur
Initiate

Post by Noceur »

Are those goblins already there or does the game spawn them when you reach a certain point on the map?
It's a moot point if you're going to lock the house, I just wondered if it had something to do with the goblins spawning too close to the house or something. If they spawn at random positions around that house, there might be a chance that one spawns inside the house (as with creatures spawning outside cave/dungeon walls and in trees.

I did notice one goblin behind a fence outside that house, which made me think they might be spawning randomly on that isle, so to speak. Either that or they wander (more likely, perhaps)... which is why you might find your brother dead.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Yep had same problem lucky I saved before getting to Island so reloaded went in under darkness took all nasties out and he lives :D