[Bug] Cloak of Shadow & Skill books?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

[Bug] Cloak of Shadow & Skill books?

Post by leonhartt »

Ok, i found this "Cloak of Shaodw" item in a chest and when i equip it, my character sheet says that i have gained "3 points in Hide in Shadows" skill.

However, the main window status window doesn't have the word "Hide in shadows" appearing when i'm in dark parts of the dungeon or when i'm outside at night.

And another thing, after i read my 2nd "Art of brewing" book, my alchemy skill doesn't increase at all. Is it suppose to be like this? I didn't chose "Alchemy" as one of my starting skills.

The 1st "Art of brewing" book which i found worked fine and added 1 point to my alchemy skill.

Thanks. :)
Josia
Senior Steward

Re: [Bug] Cloak of Shadow & Skill books?

Post by Josia »

leonhartt wrote: And another thing, after i read my 2nd "Art of brewing" book, my alchemy skill doesn't increase at all. Is it suppose to be like this? I didn't chose "Alchemy" as one of my starting skills.

The 1st "Art of brewing" book which i found worked fine and added 1 point to my alchemy skill.
Sadly, any given skill book will only work once, even if a new copy is found.
Effidian
Steward

Re: [Bug] Cloak of Shadow & Skill books?

Post by Effidian »

leonhartt wrote:Ok, i found this "Cloak of Shaodw" item in a chest and when i equip it, my character sheet says that i have gained "3 points in Hide in Shadows" skill.

However, the main window status window doesn't have the word "Hide in shadows" appearing when i'm in dark parts of the dungeon or when i'm outside at night.
Walk near a wall or trees outside, when it is dark. Also make sure you don't have a light source on (like a torch). To walk in the open, even when dark, your Hide in Shadows skill has to be higher. 3 should hide you when you are near walls/trees though.
just
Apprentice

Post by just »

The cloak only started working for me once I learned the hide in shadows skill for real, and not just from the cloak.
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

just wrote:The cloak only started working for me once I learned the hide in shadows skill for real, and not just from the cloak.
I see, so this is the reason lol..
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Also, having just the Cloak of Shadows (giving you a 3 in Hide in Shadow) isn't really enough. While you may gain some ability to hide in the darkest of areas when in the corner of a room, you really need a few more points in there to become good at it.

Think of the Cloak as a free skill booster, but it alone is not enough to turn you into a master of hiding in shadow.
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

Hmm, what i'm saying is that i think the item doesn't work without me having at least invested 1 skill point of "hide in shadows" in it.

I equipped the item and walked around in complete darkness and i found it not to display "Hidden in shadows" in my main status screen, although i do have "Silent" displayed.

So i was wondering whether there could be a bug.

For other items, i don't need to have any implicit skill points for the item with bonus skill points to work, for example, the glove of skullduggery allows me to detect very low level traps right from the time i equip it.

Thanks.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Oh, okay. I'll check it out leonhartt. Maybe something is not working correctly there.