'Maxing out' and scaling in general

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
VPeric
Steward

Post by VPeric »

GSV3MiaC wrote:I just think the '1%' is too feeble (by miles) if that is really what it is. Through the whole game (minor spoiler?) you level up maybe 16 times, so if you put your whole life into dodge, you'd achieve a whole ~50% chance of dodging??
How is 50% dodge not powerful? Remember that dodge comes into play after the usual ToHit calculation, plus it gives a +10 ToHit after a successful dodge - again, a big advantage. Of course, you wouldn't put every single point into dodge, but relying on it is - IMO - a viable way to develop your character (say, go for ~30-35% dodge).
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

But even 35% dodge is 2/3rds of all the skill points you'll earn during the game (ignoring the ones you start with). And presumably you want to be able to hit back, as well as just duck?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I find that even 10 points in Dodge is an excellent advantage. One out of every 10 attacks on you is going to be automatically missed, and then you are set up for a ToHit bonus on your attack the next round.

Over the course of the game this can be a massive reduction in hits on you, as well as an increase in total damage you end up dishing out. When you look at the big pictures, it is massively beneficial. Even 5 points (5%) really helps out.
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

I concur on Dodge being useful even at lower levels. It's a main skill of my Ranger, and at only 4, I'm still finding it very helpful.

Speaking of %'s and skills, is the DR % the chance of you receiving only half the damage of a given hit, or is it a truly linear reduction to the damage amount?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

DR is supposed to be the % chance of damaged halved. It isn't working like that though. Will look at it closer.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I find that even 10 points in Dodge is an excellent advantage. One out of every 10 attacks on you is going to be automatically missed, and then you are set up for a ToHit bonus on your attack the next round.

Over the course of the game this can be a massive reduction in hits on you, as well as an increase in total damage you end up dishing out. When you look at the big pictures, it is massively beneficial. Even 5 points (5%) really helps out.
K, I guess 10% would be playable, since that only takes 12 skill points (4 level-ups worth still!).
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I could create a small program using this same code and generate 10,000 simulated hits at 50% and we can see how many hits and misses there are, if that would be of interest to you. However, in the THOUSANDS of hours I have played the game, I have never felt the percentage rolls where flawed.
Since this thread isn't the first time the statistical correctness has been questioned, go ahead and settle it once and for all.
Claw
Apprentice

Re:

Post by Claw »

An update?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: 'Maxing out' and scaling in general

We are still debating this? Okay, here is a roll simulator. It uses the exact same random function and hit/miss comparisons as the actual game. I do see some short term variations ~2-3%, but nothing that would skew the game so dramatically.

(Sorry, this program is for Windows only)

Link: Roll Simulator

[edit #1 - fixed link]
[edit #2 - new version 1.1, generates rolls faster and has better fidelity for results]
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Sure, tease me with a broken link. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Damn, I swore I had tested that link before I posted! :P All fixed now.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well, the counter just passed 320k rolls and I'm sitting at 50.02%....

I dunno... seems like an unfair advantage....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:We are still debating this?
It's the power of the net. No debate is over as long as someone is capable and willing to resurrect a thread. :mrgreen:

I guess it wasn't a problem with the rolls after all. More an issue of the basic skill mechanics.
I hope the seeds will help.