Torch exploit

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
IceDBEar
Pledge

Torch exploit

Post by IceDBEar »

I found an exploit, where you can have a torch in you hand and hit your enemies normally, while they still see you as concealed in darkness.

Here's how to reproduce it:

1. it has to be night or inside with no light sources around
2. with torch not burning, let the enemy approach you and hit you - you will be heavily concealed by darkness for them
3. light the torch - you can hit them back normally
4. they STILL see you as heavily concealed unless you or they move - you have a serious advantage
5. if you need to move, put the torch out, move, let the enemy approach and hit you, then light the torch again

This was tested with the 1.03 patch!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Damn it! :? I tested this on four different encounters and was sure that it was fixed.

I'll work on it more and get it into 1.03 before I publicly post it.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay, there's a new version of 1.03 up. Lighting or extinguishing a torch now takes once round. That was the key to this problem; a round needs to pass so that the proper skill check can be made.

Everyone testing 1.03: please re-download this patch at install it again.

[edit] 3rd time's a charm(?)

An even newer version of 1.03 is posted.
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

Confirmed. Exploit gone.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Okay, there's a new version of 1.03 up. Lighting or extinguishing a torch now takes once round. That was the key to this problem; a round needs to pass so that the proper skill check can be made.

Everyone testing 1.03: please re-download this patch at install it again.

[edit] 3rd time's a charm(?)

An even newer version of 1.03 is posted.
Shouldn´t you let a round pass also when switching weapons then?
Could lead to problems when a certain weapon modifies a skill.
quasius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by quasius »

A form of this bug still exists in 1.03 final. If you load a saved game with a torch lit, anything attacking you will get the "darkness penalty" until you move.
Psilon
Initiate

Post by Psilon »

There's another way this bug manifests under 1.02. (I haven't tried the patch yet.) Try camping when in a dark place. Wait for a random encounter, but don't move if it's daytime. As long as the player stands still, the game doesn't recalculate lighting for that square. Attacking enemies works as expected--no lighting penalties--but you're still "in darkness" and get concealment bonuses to defense until you move.
jinnes
Apprentice

Post by jinnes »

I was just logging on to report the original poster's issue, except on the Mac (which is technically 1.04). I would report this in the Mac forum but I imagine it is the same issue.

I actually observed this with a slightly different sequence requiring some timing. Here is the sequence:
1) Have a torch lit, and attack without darkness penalty.
2) Extinguish the torch *immediately* after your combat odds are displayed but before the enemies' are.
3) When the enemy then attacks, they get the darkness penalty applied to their attack.
4) Light your torch again on your turn and repeat.

So, essentially, you are extinguishing the torch mid-turn, which is odd. I guess ultimately the issue is that on the Mac 1.04, it does not take a turn to light or extinguish a torch, despite 1.04 presumably including the 1.03 changes...
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

Good old light exploit won't go down without a fight.

Unfortunately, it works the other way 'round, too.

I use a Gravedigger's amulet instead of a torch, which doesn't take a round to unequip, although that's not the root of the problem. When I take it off without moving afterwards, my enemies' chance to hit me stays the same.
I suppose whatever fix Basliliskwrangler applied to the torch wasn't applied to the amulet.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Speaking of torch exploits, I'm playing my 2nd game and noticed in Aridell that the guard replaces the torch on the first buildings you see when entering the village. I had just taken the torch and moved towards the turn to go to the inn when at the top of my screen I saw the guard move over to the doorway and light/put up a torch! :) I was wondering why that torch kept appearing whenever I was in town and had taken it the time before. Other places the torches stayed off. If a new character was patient and didn't have any gold to buy torches it could be a way to get some torches. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

I take all the torches in the dungeons but I was nervous about taking them in town, since I didn't want to be accused of being a thief by the guard and/or townsfolk. Can you take torches in town (street torches or those inside building, too?) without making the townspeople angry at you, even if you do it right in front of them?

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yeah, I made the decision to not make torch theft a criminal offense.

As for the reappearing torches, yes, that is a flag that can be applied to torches in certain building that say NPCs will replace missing torches as night approaches. It turns out, well, we forgot to flag the torches in other populated areas. <sigh> Well, consider Aridell a special area where you can get free torches every 24 hours.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

1.04 returned the torch exploit(although I dont know if its the same exploit that was there):Lighting/extinguishing the torch doesnt take any time,so you can attack and quickly hit 'T' to get the concealment,then after being attacked,hit 'T' again to light your torch.