Possible automapper bug / exploit

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
quasius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Possible automapper bug / exploit

Post by quasius »

Not sure whether this falls under the "bug" or "lack of feature" category, but anyway...
Darkness does not seem to effect the automapper much or at all. This was especially obvious in the oubliette when I was able to put up Predator's Sight and go around smashing skeletons navigating completely with the automap. This is at 7 cartography.
Also, since when can skeletons not fight just fine without light anyway?
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Same remarks about Bats !! Since when do they need light to attack you ;-)
IMO it should even be the contrary for bats, penalty for light fighting ;-)
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Skeletons don't even have eyeballs. Why would they need light?

Bat's should be immune to darkness penalty. I'll add that to the ToDo list.
quasius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by quasius »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Skeletons don't even have eyeballs. Why would they need light?

Bat's should be immune to darkness penalty. I'll add that to the ToDo list.
But skeletons do have the darkness penalty. Also, my point was that the automapper probably shouldn't work with no light at all. But that might be a Book 2 improvement.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

I think of the cartography more of a wizard's eye than somebody with sketch paper. If you leave an area and then come back with a lesser or greater cartography, the map will change to show this. Maybe an easy way to deal with bats and skeletons, etc. would be to just have the spell predator sight active on them at all times. I just threw this out there in case it's easier to do than making a special rule for them.
quasius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by quasius »

tungprc wrote:I think of the cartography more of a wizard's eye than somebody with sketch paper. If you leave an area and then come back with a lesser or greater cartography, the map will change to show this. Maybe an easy way to deal with bats and skeletons, etc. would be to just have the spell predator sight active on them at all times. I just threw this out there in case it's easier to do than making a special rule for them.
There's no indication that there is *any* kind of implementation for enemy spells.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

quasius wrote:There's no indication that there is *any* kind of implementation for enemy spells.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Enemies use spells...

The priests use Flesh Boil as an attack, Gramuk uses Deep Freeze, Dimesional eyes use a unique magic attack, but also have Preditor vision (you can't hide from them). Same with Poltergeists. The Acolytes of Shadowmirk use Fire Dart. The paralyzing effect of some enemies is actually handled as a spell, though it is suggested to be a toxin...internally the effect is treated as a spell, the same spell that handles Entangle.
quasius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by quasius »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
quasius wrote:There's no indication that there is *any* kind of implementation for enemy spells.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Enemies use spells...

The priests use Flesh Boil as an attack, Gramuk uses Deep Freeze, Dimesional eyes use a unique magic attack, but also have Preditor vision (you can't hide from them). Same with Poltergeists. The Acolytes of Shadowmirk use Fire Dart. The paralyzing effect of some enemies is actually handled as a spell, though it is suggested to be a toxin...internally the effect is treated as a spell, the same spell that handles Entangle.
Fair enough. I was saying there was no apparent way to know if enemies were just picking from a set of "attacks" they had or if they were actually sharing spell code with the PC. It sounds like they are though.