Spell Balancing

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Claw
Apprentice

Spell Balancing

Post by Claw »

I've got some issues with the spell effectiveness and mana cost.

For instance, how is Enkindled Weapon balanced versus Ogre Strength? As far as I can tell, the latter also gives me +1 damage per level for the same mana, but with extra perks like the much longer duration.

I am a bit wary of using any spells that give me +1 something. It seems like such a tiny improvement is hardly worth the mana compared to spells like Chameleon and Haste.

Also, I found Cat's Eye to be rather irritating. I squint my eyes in a vain effort to see anyhing. I eventually stopped using it except to fight in the darkness.
Also, it would be nice if PS would let me see my character. It's kinda weird that I can see my opponents but don't know where I am myself!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

USe ctas eye and a torch....I liked doing that.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Re: Spell Balancing

Post by Loriac »

Claw wrote:I've got some issues with the spell effectiveness and mana cost.

For instance, how is Enkindled Weapon balanced versus Ogre Strength? As far as I can tell, the latter also gives me +1 damage per level for the same mana, but with extra perks like the much longer duration.

I am a bit wary of using any spells that give me +1 something. It seems like such a tiny improvement is hardly worth the mana compared to spells like Chameleon and Haste.

Also, I found Cat's Eye to be rather irritating. I squint my eyes in a vain effort to see anyhing. I eventually stopped using it except to fight in the darkness.
Also, it would be nice if PS would let me see my character. It's kinda weird that I can see my opponents but don't know where I am myself!
Enkindled and enchanted both give +2 damage per level I thought? And I imagine they stack with Ogre strength? I.e. top of the line you're getting +12 from enkindled or enchanted weapon. I'm not sure if they stack with each other, but I'm guessing they do.

Basically, they don't need to be balanced to ogre strength, they are completely different spells (I tend to see Ogre strength and Nimbleness as ways for a mage not to spend on his physical attributes).

Mana is cheap in this game, particularly when you throw in alchemy skills.

If anything, when I opened this thread, I thought you were going to suggest that spells need to be balanced to a lower level of effectiveness - that would certainly be my view having played through the game.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

IMO spells are a bit patchy. Some of the 'buff' ones are seriously strong, whereas the direct damage ones are rather feeble (in that they don't scale well). If your mage is willing to pick up a weapon, even a bow, they are unstoppable before long, whereas if they insist on fire-darting (or flesh-boiling) everything they are in for a short life.
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

Agreed. I think you should not have to bump up the power of the spell and the Mana cost to get stronger results. I had to cast flesh boil 2-3 times each target on the goblins when in the maintance level. Why can't the damage be a factor of the skill level. If I have Divination at 10 then factor it off of that. As I get more powerful my spells should also.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

The prediators sight one is insanely overpowered. I can spend 100 gold, to be able to cast it, and in every dark place I can hit just fine while my enemies are reduces by 30% or some such!
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Yep, and as I mentioned elsewhere is works on things (ghosts, skeletons) which it probably shouldn't (if it is heat based), and it works round corners too. Even predators can't see through solid walls.
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

Maybe the PS is from the game AVP :P Anyways create a rogue and use PS it is quite overpowering cause you can see well and they cant see you cause you are hidden :D nice combo imo... Maybe PS shouldnt reduce the penalty fully to balance the game I guess... But anyways I am incredibly unlucky sometimes I get killed by a lizard with PS and Bless cast in the dark :D so it does happen... Maybe the game is balanced with your luck :D