Gamma correction?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Kajetan
Initiate

Gamma correction?

Post by Kajetan »

Aloha!

Is there a way to increase the brightness in the game? I am standing in the wine cellar (playing the demo) in the start area and i can see almost nothing. And yes, my torch is lit.

Lighting the torch in the open during the night gives me a nice, bright spot around my character, so that's not a problem. But in a dungeon? It*s like playing Doom 3 without the duct tape mod ;)

Image[/img]
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

How about increasing the brightness of your monitor a bit? You can do it with the control buttons on your monitor. Also once you get the lantern it'll give more light.
Kajetan
Initiate

Post by Kajetan »

dak wrote:How about increasing the brightness of your monitor a bit?
Doesn't help. I already tried that.
Also once you get the lantern it'll give more light.
Oh, there is a better light source? Ok, then i will stay away from dungeons until i got the lantern. You can see for yourself ... it' unplayable this way.
Josia
Senior Steward

Re: Gamma correction?

Post by Josia »

Kajetan wrote:Is there a way to increase the brightness in the game? I am standing in the wine cellar (playing the demo) in the start area and i can see almost nothing. And yes, my torch is lit.
Cat's Eyes (potion or spell) increases the range of light sources such as torches. It actually makes it possible to see in the dark without a light source as well, but it's much darker than a torch; in combination may have the effect you're looking for.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I'd think it's your monitor, on my monitor even when it is dark I can still see the surrounding area, light up a torch and I'm golden. I don't know how far a torch is expected to light up, I wouldn't think it would light up more than 10 feet in front of you anyway, note I don't go crawling through dungeons with oil drenched torches so I don't really know.
Kajetan
Initiate

Post by Kajetan »

macdude22 wrote:I'd think it's your monitor ...
No, sadly that's not the case. I switched the monitor a few minutes ago and it stays deeply, deeply dark. But only in the dungeon! That's what puzzles me. Outside at night it's all fine, when i lit a torch.

Here are my specs:
Windows XP
Nvidia 7800GS
newest WHQL driver version
runnig Eschalon with DX or OpenGL does not change brightness

I'm downgrading my drivers now. Hope, it will help ...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Every dungeon has a different level of ambient brightness. Some glow green, others have a deep blue hue. However, some are just plain black with no ambient glow. That's the way the game was designed. The screenshot you posted looks fine on my system, however you are standing on a dark ground with the dark gray dungeon walls around you. That is inherently one of the darkest sections of the entire game, so you chose the most appropriate place in the game to point out your frustration. Most other dungeons, with light colored floors and walls, appear brighter.

Are you saying you can't enjoy the game because you expect to see more of the dungeon than what is visible around the radius of your torch glow? You shouldn't be able to. Your character's ability to illuminate the dungeons through torch, lantern, and magical light is part of the game's strategy.

There are plenty of 3rd party gamma adjusters that you can download to temporarily boost the gamma of the game. Here's one I found for someone else:

http://files.filefront.com/Gamma+Adjust ... einfo.html
Kajetan
Initiate

Post by Kajetan »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:That is inherently one of the darkest sections of the entire game, so you chose the most appropriate place in the game to point out your frustration.
Maybe it isn't quite the best idea, to design the very first dungeon the player visits, to be the darkest one ;)
Most other dungeons, with light colored floors and walls, appear brighter.
Ok, good to know, thnx!
Are you saying you can't enjoy the game because you expect to see more of the dungeon than what is visible around the radius of your torch glow?
Let's just say ... it's not my definition of fun to poke around in total darkness, stumble in EVERY trap the level designer has put in there. But besides that, it's a fun game, really! I like it!
You shouldn't be able to. Your character's ability to illuminate the dungeons through torch, lantern, and magical light is part of the game's strategy.
The magic word is "illuminate" SCNR :)
There are plenty of 3rd party gamma adjusters that you can download to temporarily boost the gamma of the game. Here's one I found for someone else: http://files.filefront.com/Gamma+Adjust ... einfo.html
Thank you!
Kajetan
Initiate

Post by Kajetan »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: There are plenty of 3rd party gamma adjusters that you can download to temporarily boost the gamma of the game. Here's one I found for someone else:
http://files.filefront.com/Gamma+Adjust ... einfo.html
Ahhhhh, finally. Let there be light! Thnx again :)