Classic Amiga RPG's

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I take that back, looks like Black Crypt works, just took forever to load.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yeah, load times are slow. There's a option where you can emulate the floppy 8x faster than normal without effecting the actual game speed (just loading and saving).
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ok nevermind the rest seem to be working now that I installed Lemonaide, must have changed some config settings for winuae or something.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

What are these different versions of the same file? For example, Black Crypt (disregarding different disk files, like disk 1 of 3) has one titled just "Black Crypt", then there is "Black Crypt [cr conspiracy]" and "Black Crypt [cr conspiracy] [a]" and "Black Crypt [cr trsi]". That's four different versions of the same file. Which one should I use, if I use WinUAE? What are these different versions anyhow?

Changing tracks here. I have to recommed one game, that's something completely different from the games mentioned up thread. It is not fantasy and not an RPG, but don't let that stop you. If you have any interest in sci-fi and can at least tolerate space sims somewhat, try out Warhead. It is, IMO, without a doubt, one if the best space sims ever made. Period.

As a sidenote, it is also, AFAIK, the first space sim to use Newtonian flight model and not that cinematic "airplanes in space" style. It's a bit hard at first, but once you learn it, it is marvelous and sooo immersive (this is how space craft maneuver for real). If you ever played Independence War (or I-War) on PC, this is the grandfather of it and made by the same guy (Glyn Williams, I salute you!).

A small caveat here. I should note, that it's been almost 20 years since I played the game, so time may have done it's tricks on me...
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Saxon1974 wrote:The one problem is you need the amiga ROM files to get it to run, and they aren't free. I searched the net for free ones and couldnt find them so had to buy them from amigaforever for 29.99.
Had somehow missed this little (but critical) piece of info.

Hmm, these ROM files wouldn't be the ones on the Amiga startup disk, would they? They must be. But how in the nine hells am I going to transfer them to the PC? Even if I find the disk from my basement (going to take hours, I reckon), I doubt the disk is working any longer (being 20-years-old magnetic media and all). If by some miracle I find the disk and it is still OK, it surely(?) isn't readable in my PC's disk drive. And that's as far as it goes, I guess.

So, I don't think I'll even try the whole emulator business after all. I'm not going to shell out $29.99 for some ROM files that I basically have already. Oh well, back to waiting for Eschalon.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yeah, load times are slow. There's a option where you can emulate the floppy 8x faster than normal without effecting the actual game speed (just loading and saving).
Your right that made a big difference, thanks for the suggestion!
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Grue wrote:What are these different versions of the same file? For example, Black Crypt (disregarding different disk files, like disk 1 of 3) has one titled just "Black Crypt", then there is "Black Crypt [cr conspiracy]" and "Black Crypt [cr conspiracy] [a]" and "Black Crypt [cr trsi]". That's four different versions of the same file. Which one should I use, if I use WinUAE? What are these different versions anyhow?
[cr] means cracked, conspiracy and TRSI are the names of the cracking groups and [a] means it's an alternate version.
For the explanation of the various TOSEC codes, see this link :
http://www.romcenter.com/datafiles/tose ... ention.htm
You can use any of these. Simply use the version that works best.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Grue wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:The one problem is you need the amiga ROM files to get it to run, and they aren't free. I searched the net for free ones and couldnt find them so had to buy them from amigaforever for 29.99.
Had somehow missed this little (but critical) piece of info.

Hmm, these ROM files wouldn't be the ones on the Amiga startup disk, would they? They must be. But how in the nine hells am I going to transfer them to the PC? Even if I find the disk from my basement (going to take hours, I reckon), I doubt the disk is working any longer (being 20-years-old magnetic media and all). If by some miracle I find the disk and it is still OK, it surely(?) isn't readable in my PC's disk drive. And that's as far as it goes, I guess.

So, I don't think I'll even try the whole emulator business after all. I'm not going to shell out $29.99 for some ROM files that I basically have already. Oh well, back to waiting for Eschalon.
I don't think the roms are on the startup disk (though you'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure they aren't). The amigas had a hardware ROM, which was automatically booted when you lit the computer, which contained a part of the operating system.
It is possible to extract and make a file of the ROM if your amiga is still working. You need a special cable to link the amiga and the PC, and a small piece of software (don't recall the name, but the program and the way to do this are very easy to find on the net).
myriac
Initiate

LOF

Post by myriac »

legend of faerghail was one of the best crpg in amiga.

i love all crpg s mentioned here published in amiga once. i wish LOF were made for pcz again..who knows maybe someone create it..
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

I have 2 dresser drawers full of all my old Amiga floppy disks. I had an Amiga 500 then got an Amiga 4000, years and years ago.

Miss those days.
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

someone mentionned Cadaver, the first time I've played Eschalon the graphics and mood reminded me of this game :

http://www.retro-experience.co.uk/atarist/cadaver.html

I found the gameplay of Cadaver quite frustrating (but game was nice anyway), and I prefer Eschalon, also for the quests and outdoor settings.
stryker
Initiate

Post by stryker »

Amiga was the only way to play rpg's in the late 80s and early 90s. Superior graphics, custom chips, even four channel sound built in! The Amiga has multitasking environment long before any other.

Even emulating these games today is a blast. Use WinUAE and a decent PC and I can get 95 percent of games to run, and run fast. (with a little tweaking). Just finished Dragon Wars again on Amiga. Compare that to the PC version and it's a joke.

If you're looking for all the great games on Amiga, most are abandonware and can easily be had here

www.back2roots.org/
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Started playing Ultima III again since this was my first RPG ever, think I was about 10 when I played it back around 1984 or something.

The Amiga version has improved graphics and the full sound track, very nice!

Im really enjoying it, if your an Ultima fan and can handle the old graphics and interface you should enjoy it alot.
joshuasmyth
Apprentice

Post by joshuasmyth »

I've decided to give Amberstar another shot, I remember getting really into the game many years ago.
www.tinyfrogsoftware.com/cavernsbeta/ <- Play a free browser based roguelike game :)
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

joshuasmyth wrote:I've decided to give Amberstar another shot, I remember getting really into the game many years ago.
How far are you until now?
Amberstar is my absolute favorite rpg from the good old times.

I would love to see a new Amber* sequel.

Do you replay the pc or the amiga(emulated) version?