Downloaded Demo..How come I cannot create a character?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
nukkaj
Pledge

Downloaded Demo..How come I cannot create a character?

Post by nukkaj »

I downloaded the demo and it will not let me create a character? Nothing on the screen lets me alter or change anything. I can type my character name and then if I hit F1 it brings me into the world.

Help?

Or is that because its the demo version?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Reboot your computer, then try it. There is a known issue with computers that have not been restarted for a while that causes some mouses to stop working correctly. Let me know if that works.
lunix
Pledge

Re: Downloaded Demo..How come I cannot create a character?

Post by lunix »

I've the same problem with Linux demo version. I've quite a long uptime and would like to solve/debug this issue without reboot, because it's not solution for me (I usually restart my PC few times in a year). Is there any way how to check if my mouse if working correctly? I've never had any problem like this in any application.

I'm using ordinary USB Logitech mouse, also tried to connect microsoft USB mouse and the result was the same.

thanks
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I believe the problem is fixed in the Book II engine as we've gotten rid of a millisec() function that overflows after the computer has been on for a while.

I know this doesn't help anyone playing Book I now, but the fix required a major rewrite of the input sections of the code and there is no simple way to update the Book I engine without breaking other things. In fact, this bugfix is what led to the Book II "branch" of the engine due to the large number of changes that had to be made.

Again, my apologies. I know it is annoying to have to reboot the system every few days when you are accustom to leaving it on.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
lunix
Pledge

Post by lunix »

Thanks for reply. Feel free to contact me if you want me to test this issue in book II engine.

I'll probably reboot my PC tomorrow to create a character, I believe everything else in game should behave normally.