Windows saves do not work on Linux

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Azzy
Pledge

Windows saves do not work on Linux

Post by Azzy »

Are they supposed to ?
Some earlier saves (with less time played) are loading fine, while more recent ones crash with "appstub.linux signal handler 11".
If I load a working save first, then try to load a non-working one, then instead of a crash I get a character from the new save standing in the dungeon from the old save and unable to move ))
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

They should be compatible and several people have used cross-platforms saves just fine.

However, I am trying to figure out what that error message means. I am getting the same one when trying to compile certain parts of the game in Linux.
Azzy
Pledge

Post by Azzy »

I can share my saves if it would help.

If there were a binary with debug symbols available, I could provide a stack dump of the crash.
rasjani
Initiate

Post by rasjani »

I dont know about bliz and its error messages but Signal 11 is SIGSEV aka Segmentation fault. Typically this is caused by writing to memory address thats not been allocated,already freed or block that is written to the memory is bigger than the destination can hold..
Lee
Pledge

Post by Lee »

I usually get the same error when the game is switching the music being played ( doesn't happen all the time but alot) So I now play with the sound disabled, and haven't had a single crash yet.
Azzy
Pledge

Post by Azzy »

Lee wrote:I usually get the same error when the game is switching the music being played ( doesn't happen all the time but alot) So I now play with the sound disabled, and haven't had a single crash yet.
This is probably an unrelated problem: if I turn off the sound (by removing the kernel module, is there a better way?) it still crashes.
Kalidarn
Initiate

Re: Windows saves do not work on Linux

Post by Kalidarn »

You could try running strace, that might give some clue as to what system call is causing the error. strace -o ~/output.txt ./eschalon_book_1 (in the game directory).