Linux save game location

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
wazzosan
Initiate

Linux save game location

Post by wazzosan »

Hi Everyone,

Congrats on an awesome game. Really takes me back to the golden age of RPG gaming (late 80's early 90's). I've been playing the game on windows and have recently bought the linux version. I would like to transfer my save games over to the linux install but cannot see an obvious save game directory. It is definitely there somewhere as I can restore the demo character I created.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I want to continue adventuring asap!

Cheers,
wazzosan
Initiate

Re: Linux save game location

Post by wazzosan »

Sorry, I should probably clarify. I cannot find the save game directory on the linux install. Does it get created automatically? Or is there some way of configuring it?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It's hidden inside the install directory. Show hidden files to view.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Rumor
Initiate

Post by Rumor »

wazzosan wrote:Sorry, I should probably clarify. I cannot find the save game directory on the linux install. Does it get created automatically? Or is there some way of configuring it?
It is located at ~/.eschalon_b1_saved_games
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
wazzosan
Initiate

Post by wazzosan »

Awesome! Thanks guys. I will be adventuring tonight :D
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

I just downloaded the demo (from the greenhouse games site) and the saved games directory gets created at "~/eschalon_b1_saved_games" (without the dot). This is super annoying. I see that when the game was in beta this was complained about, and this thread indicates that the location should have been a dotfile - is the wrong version of the game up at greenhouse, or was this never fixed?
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

Of course, from my end, this is probably easy to fix by just writing a wrapper shell script that moves the saves from a hidden location, starts the game, and moves them back after. But, seeing savefiles placed in a non-hidden directory in ~ makes me worry a bit about the developers' linux chops. Seems to work find so far otherwise, though.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

OK, well, I can confirm that if I download the linux demo from basilisk instead of from greenhouse the saves get placed in a better location. So, probably the wrong version is up at greenhouse - hopefully there aren't any major bugs in the version up there.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

OK, one final saves directory question and then I promise I will stop making posts in this thread :). It looks like the "sticky bit" is set on the saves directory and its subfolders - I thought this was only meaningful on executables, and even then had no effect in modern versions of linux. Am I missing something here?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

The Greenhouse version had the saved location unhidden for testing reasons. It never was changed back to a hidden location, but that should have no effect on the game at at.
zarvok
Initiate

Post by zarvok »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The Greenhouse version had the saved location unhidden for testing reasons. It never was changed back to a hidden location, but that should have no effect on the game at at.
Yeah, neither of those observations have anything to do with gameplay in and of themselves. I mentioned it because placing an unhidden file in a user's home directory is terrible style (people like to keep their home directories clean from clutter), so I came here to search for it, figuring it to be a bug. Searching turned up that this behavior also occurred in early versions of the game, so I wondered if I had accidentally downloaded a beta.

As an aside, you might want to consider fixing this - it's definitely going to be off-putting to linux players who get the game from greenhouse.

Otherwise, I've been really enjoying the demo. Nice game! Makes me think of long nights spent playing Baldur's Gate and other fun PC RPGs (which I guess was the point).
Supergiu
Pledge

Post by Supergiu »

Hallo, I bought EB1 from Playgreenhouse, how do i do to update my linux version now? I'd like to have my save games in a hidden location into the user's directory.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Supergiu wrote:Hallo, I bought EB1 from Playgreenhouse, how do i do to update my linux version now? I'd like to have my save games in a hidden location into the user's directory.
You can't- there are no options to change the saved game location in Book I. Sorry.