Vampirism or anything similar?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Vampirism or anything similar?

Post by GianMarco »

Probably a NO but I wont hesitate in asking - it has always been one aspect in an RPG that i enjoyed playing with, ever since Daggerfall/Morrowind. Oblivions vampire system was messed up just like every other aspect of that 'RPG', but i defiantly think the two previous games did it well.

So? 8)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yeah, it's a definite no for Book I because we are just too far along in development. But please ask us again when we are working on Book II and we'll discuss it. Personally, I think Lycanthropy is cooler than vampirism, but that's just me! I'd rather rip someone's intestines out with my teeth than simply drink their blood. :lol:
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I'd rather rip someone's intestines out with my teeth than simply drink their blood. :lol:
And quickly and quietly the Eschalon development team scramble to get back to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I think if I was going to do somthing I would shy awa from the whole regular vampire/werewolf...and have someithing of my own creation, like soul drinkers or siomething else so I would not be coought up in teh myths of those creatures. Just a thought.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Point taken, Rune_74. The problem is that if you go too unique with your creatures, you can actually start to lose player interest, not gain it.

Vampires and Werewolves have centuries of myth and legend supporting them already, so when a game says “you've contracted Lycanthropy!”, you instantly know all that comes with that: transformation on full-moon nights, intolerance to silver, unquenchable thirst for blood, etc. Going all the way back to childhood you've been taught the histories of Vampires and Werewolves, so there is a sense of “reality” to them in that they have existed in films, books, and even song for as long as you can remember.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of radically new creatures or environments that have absolutely no familiarity to me. I'd rather see incremental changes to familiar ideas. I remember playing D&D for the first time and being introduced to the idea of “Wererats” and thinking how cool they were because it took a familiar idea and put a refreshing twist on it. I also thought it was cool when I first heard the idea of a “Daywalker Vampire”.

That doesn't mean we are unwilling to put a completely original idea into our game (we have quite a few in there already, actually), but our goal is to maintain an established level of familiarity with the game world, keeping with the “old-school” play style. As for your Soul Drinker idea, we'll see!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I see where you are comming from as well, (did you see my bad spelling and everything else in that post...fightin a damn cold) The twist on the traditional set may work as you say, soul drinkers for instance could be a twist of the vampire...sort of like taking the myth and making it your own.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yeah, it's a definite no for Book I because we are just too far along in development. But please ask us again when we are working on Book II and we'll discuss it. Personally, I think Lycanthropy is cooler than vampirism, but that's just me! I'd rather rip someone's intestines out with my teeth than simply drink their blood. :lol:
Haha well thats good to hear, and I like both so i don't mind ;)
Anyway, im sure in Book II you'll come out with a brilliant way of implementing it.