New Deus Ex is coming!

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

New Deus Ex is coming!

Post by GianMarco »

For my fellow Deus Ex fans read the good news ;)

"IGN has news via a French TV show that a new Deus Ex game is underway at Eidos Montreal:

In a recent interview on French-language television station MusiquePlus the director of Eidos France, Patrick Melchior, revealed a new Deus Ex game is in the works. The revival of the franchise is the "first mission" of Eidos' new Montreal studio, currently made up of around 40 people.

There are no other details at this stage, other than the game should be unveiled "in a few months".

Well Deus Ex being my favorite game of all time, there was no better news for me to wake up to this morning. After the disappointing sequel we can only hope that Eidos will pick up their game this time around...

And before I forget, for those who dont know about it - check out HDTP.
HDTP is a fanmade mod by a group of talented people, doing a complete revamp of the textures in Deus Ex 1. If you were thinking of busting out your old copy of the game, there would be no better time to do it - other than when the mod is finally completed near the end of the year. Their progress is amazing, check out the site for yourself and view some of the screen shots:

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/ <<<<<<<<<
Last edited by GianMarco on May 19th, 2007, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - Helios
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Cool news! I enjoyed Deus Ex as well.

I'd have to say my all-time favorite sci-fi RPG was the System Shock series though. Love to see them make #3, but that's still in rumor stage I guess.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I read that news earlier today, in a translation from this article:
http://www.pcgames.de/?article_id=601598

The first Deus Ex is probably one of the great instances of multiple paths through a story, allowing the player to really approach the challenges as s/he wants and being rewarded with each choice.
While Invisible War wasn't on par with DX1, I did still enjoy it quite a lot, I don't believe it deserves the bad rep it's recieved. As far as FPS/RPG hybrids go, it's really quite good and I really like the dystopian sci-fi setting both games have.
Of course I'm going to have to have a new system to run this thing :( Thinking I may just spend the upgrade money (whenever I have it) on a 360 or PS3, since most of the big games are being released there as well as on the PC. But I digress...

As far as System Shock goes, we of course know about BioShock, the "spiritual successor" to SS2 made by the same team (more or less as I understand it). Yet another game I won't be able to run.....
As for SS3, I believe EA are going to be making one, but I'm guessing BioShock will be more in keeping with the series than anything EA makes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
GianMarco
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GianMarco »

Gallifrey wrote: The first Deus Ex is probably one of the great instances of multiple paths through a story, allowing the player to really approach the challenges as s/he wants and being rewarded with each choice.
While Invisible War wasn't on par with DX1, I did still enjoy it quite a lot, I don't believe it deserves the bad rep it's recieved. As far as FPS/RPG hybrids go, it's really quite good and I really like the dystopian sci-fi setting both games have.
I agree with you there fully, DX1 was a great example of how an FPS/RPG game should be made. DX2 was still a good game imo, but it almost seemed like a downgrade of the first game. I hated the fact that they removed the Skills and Augmentations and instead had Biomods and nothing more - probably the worst change to make imo, seeing as it cuts down the RPG elements. Also inventory system was way smaller and too basic, and some of the choices you mad in game didn't have as much of a broad effect on the world as DX1 had. I found DX2 length wise when compared to DX1 really short and easy, but yeh i still enjoyed it none the less. The plot in Deus Ex has always been grabbing to me ;)

It would be cool if they made the central character JC Denton again, that would be mad.
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." - Helios
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

DX2 did simplify the game, and made it more of a shooter than an RPG, but I still enjoyed it as there was plenty of story and I like the DX setting.

There's lot of life in the DX franchise, I'd say, with both stories to be told, settings to explore and new game technology to implement.

As far as the return of JC Denton, I'd like to see a new character, perhaps built with more RPG focus, for whom a new story can be told.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!