Lewis the Fighter, Episode Two!!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Lewis the Fighter, Episode Two!!

Post by CrazyBernie »

I added some pictures for 'atmosphere' this time around. :mrgreen:

It's that time again, kids!
When we last left our hero, he had just awakened to find himself in an unfamiliar place with no memory of who he was. What's in store for him this episode? Read on to find out!!

Lewis the Figher
Episode Two: 'Home on the Range,' or 'Damn, Those Lizards are HUGE!'

After searching around the well, Lewis found nothing in particular. He pulled up the bucket to no avail; all it yielded was some water that smelled of longtime stagnation, or worse. Sighing in frustration, he sat down heavily on a nearby tree stump, only to jump up immediately after feeling the top of the stump partially give and hearing a loud “click.” As he turned around he saw the top of the stump swinging upward, revealing an opening. How clever, he bemused. Looking into the hole, he found some supplies that had been left behind, obviously for his benefit. He put the healing and mana potions in his pack. The short sword had an instant familiarity as he picked it up, feeling like an extension of his arm as he gave it a few test swings. Lastly he grabbed a pair of leather sandals, only now realizing he was walking around barefooted. I wonder what the hell is up with that. Guess amnesiacs have no need for footwear. He put on the sandals and slid the sword into his belt.

Heading back through the opening to the bedroom, he took one last look around the house. Judging by the damage to the building, and the plant life thriving in the main room, somebody abandoned the house a long time ago. Oh well, might as well go find this ‘Maddock’ fellow. He left through the front entrance, not bothering to close the door behind him; it was in several pieces on the ground to the right. As he walked down the path leading away from the house, his brisk pace was quickly slowed as he took in the scene in front of him.

The entire village was in shambles. Clearly there was some sort of battle that had occurred (most likely with a looting and pillaging as well), and it had not been occupied since from the looks of the overgrowth. There were broken and rusty weapons here and there, and Lewis noted that most of the buildings had some sort of structural damage. Feeling a “crunch” from where he had stepped, he looked down at the remains of what appeared to be a human femur that had been bleached white from exposure to the elements. Well, ‘E’ seemed pretty urgent from the letter, but I should at least look around a bit to see if there’s anything useful that might have been missed. Besides, who really knows how long I’ve been here… Just as he was about to step into another of the buildings, a loud hissing noise froze him in place. He slowly turned his head to the side, and his eyes began to have trouble remaining in their sockets.

A large (make that ‘huge!’) lizard stood several feet away. It was bigger than a sizeable dog, and had a mouthful of fangs that looked very sharp. Its scaly skin was blood red crossed with some darker, almost brown stripes. It looked pretty hungry as it sized Lewis up. “There, there, Mr. Lizard, or Gecko, or Salamander, or whatever you call yourself, I’m sure there are some tasty bugs crawling around somewhere.” He slowly slid his sword out of his belt. “So why don’t you go dig around in the bushes and find them?” He took a step back, and the creature moved towards him a small amount. He stopped, and it halted, all the while still watching him intently. This process was repeated several times, as though they were both cautiously taking turns at moving. It doesn’t listen very well, he noted. Then again, I’m the one trying to talk to a lizard. Picking up a small rock, he threw it past the lizard into some underbrush. The lizard was briefly distracted by the noise, and Lewis quickly ducked into the nearest structure. Sword at the ready, he was about to peek back outside when he heard the same loud hiss.

This time it was behind him, inside the building he just took shelter in.

Damnit, ‘E!’ I’m gonna strangle you!!”

Oh Noes!! Will Lewis make short work of these humongous reptiles, or is he doomed to be a quick dinner? We'll have to wait to find out in Episode Three: 'Plundering the Village,' or 'Is that Treasure in Your Chest, or are You Happy to See Me?'
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Lewis the Fighter, Episode Two!!

Post by Randomizer »

Getting better. I can't wait for the next installment.

"Nice lizard. Just stay there while I get you something to eat, besides me." Runaway.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Very nice :)
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Thanks! :mrgreen: I was going to flesh out the whole "Turn-Based" part a bit more, but I didn't want to go crazy and have to make a second post... :roll:

Not to release any "spoilers" or anything like that, but the next episode will feature a quite controversial topic for Book I players.... :twisted:
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I can't wait till Lewis meets all the fine folks in Aridell. Maybe they will have open mic night at the tavern?
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is awesome, CB!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.