[Fan Fiction] Introduction + "Karma" by CrazyBernie

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

[Fan Fiction] Introduction + "Karma" by CrazyBernie

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

We're going to devote some space here in General Chat for fan fiction. I've decided to put it in this forum area because the fiction may be about Book I or II (or III) or perhaps it is something entirely different. Either way, you are free to post whatever you want, and I have the right to delete it if it is inappropriate. If you want to start a new thread for your writing, that's fine. If we get enough fiction, I'll make a new forum area devoted to it.

A note to all readers of this fan fiction: we will only censor or remove fiction if it seems highly inappropriate (think "hard R rating" or higher). If the piece is about the Eschalon series, do not consider it canon. If we decide to endorse a piece of fiction as part of the Eschalon universe, we'll be sure to let you know. If you have a problem with the content of a piece, let the author know, not us. We'll only take action if enough people complain. This is a free-speech zone.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

"Karma" by CrazyBernie

Our first submission is from CrazyBernie. In his short piece entitled "Karma", we get to see what happens to Father Michael of Aridell shortly after the events of Book I...

"Karma" by CrazyBernie

Father Michael threw the young priestess-in-training from his bed.

"Stupid bitch! You want to be a Priestess of the Moon and you can't even follow some simple instructions? Get out of here, now!" Sobbing uncontrollably, the young girl quickly gathered her clothes off the floor and stumbled toward the door. "And fetch me Sister Carla, I should like a bath." Though barely aware of her surroundings, the girl still managed to turn and curtsy before rushing out the door.

Incompetent wench! There's so little talent left these days. But that will all change soon... very soon! The crooked priest got out of his bed and picked up the goblet on the nightstand. Taking a swig of the expensive wine, he replaced the goblet and began to pace about the bedchamber.

But why, why didn't it work? I followed the directions in the letters exactly, yet the portal did not activate!
So absorbed in his thoughts, Michael did not notice the shimmering of air that came in through the open window. It moved across the room before settling next to the nightstand. No matter, I've already sent correspondence back to Gramuk. Soon it will all be sorted out, and I shall get the portal working. After the goblins invade, I shall be tasked with governing all of Eastern Thaermore! Rubbing his hands together as he walked around, he could barely contain the dark glee that welled up from within.

He moved back to his nightstand and poured another cup. Downing it all in a single gulp, he frowned. Looking at the goblet, then the bottle of wine. Must have been left out for too long. Damn priestesses, can't teach them anything. But soon... Where's that Carla? He began walking towards his bathtub, when suddenly he stumbled to the floor. Waves of nausea overcame him, and his vision swam. What is... happening...

Sister Carla began to make her way up the stairs toward Father Michael's bedchambers. She carried a small tub containing a washcloth, a scrubbing brush, some towels, and the Father's favorite soaps. Her face, though beautiful, was hardened from the burden of her position as head priestess. Working under Michael had begun to place serious strain on her own faith in Luna; she did her best to persevere, seeing it as a test sent from the Goddess of the Moon. She had smartly changed from her priestess garments into merely a light robe; while Father Michael preferred the flesh of the younger girls in his bed, he still had his perverted desires even in the bath. Stopping in front of his chambers, she sighed in resignation before steeling herself and opening the door.

"Father Michael, I am here for your - " The tub made a loud "thunk" as it hit the floor and its contents were spilled. The Father lie on the floor in a pool of his own vomit, frothing at the mouth and periodically convulsing. Noticing her presence he reached for her, grasping her robe. "Poi... son..." was all he could gasp. Sister Carla shrieked, and tried to get away, but he had her robe in a death grip. Struggling out of the robe, she ran naked out of the room, screaming.

The air beside the nightstand began to shimmer once again, this time solidifying into the shape of a man. He wore all black save his cloak, which continued to shimmer as he walked towards Father Michael. His skin was smooth, his fair hair spiked up in an odd style. As he walked around the prone figure, he smiled with contempt. Michael was still barely conscious, and managed to look up at this new intruder. His eyes widened in recognition and he tried to speak, but this only served to send him into a fit of coughing.

"Easy, Father Michael, you've only got about five minutes left to live. The more you struggle, the more pain you'll experience before you expire." The priest merely glared at him once the coughing abated. "Hey now, no need to get angry at me, business is business after all." The assassin dropped down on one knee next to the Father, and covered his mouth and nose with a hand. "Ugh, but what a way to go... nothing respectable about this."

At the look of confusion, the man responded, "You botched the portal spell and there won't be an invasion in the immediate future. Especially since Gramuk is now dead, killed by some wayward adventuring type who coincidentally passed through here not more than a few weeks ago." Confusion changed to frightened surprise. "Since Gramuk won't be around to reward you, his and my superiors have deemed you a liability." He reached into a leather pouch at his waist and produced a couple of documents. "These letters of correspondence between you an Gramuk should satisfy any investigation into your assassination." Walking over to the nightstand, he tossed the letters next to the wine.

"I normally don't do this assassination stuff, but considering you tried to kill my father, I didn't exactly have great qualms with being given the order. You can die with the knowledge that his death won't be on your hands. He was nearly dead when I reached him, but I had him transported to Port Kuuadad, where one of the best Alchemists in the land is treating his disease. The results look quite promising. After the treatment I'll have him moved somewhere that he doesn't need find out what I've been up to all these years." Looking out the window, he noted the lone watchman rushing toward the church. He gathered up his shimmering cloak, and began to fade out of vision.

The last thing Father Michael heard before succumbing to the poison was. "My father Paul sends his regards."
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Fan Fiction [Introduction + "Karma" by CrazyBernie]

Post by Randomizer »

Nice to see Father Michael finally get his just reward. Though where was he hiding all those priestesses when I visited.

One typo in "waits" instead of "waist."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, I quite enjoyed this too. CrazyBernie has a few other pieces he has done, and they are equally enjoyable reads (I'm not sure if he wants me to post them or if he will do it himself). I also have some new fan art that I am trying to clear before posting.

["Karma" updated- two typos corrected]
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

How appropriate that the poisoning priest should meet his maker through death by poison. Great writing Bernie.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"