Demon Oil III +3 isn't demon oil

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Neebat
Initiate

Demon Oil III +3 isn't demon oil

Post by Neebat »

I made some demon oil, with 15 skill in alchemy, by combining sulfur and ambergris in an empty flask. Since my skill is 15, it's Demon Oil III, the good stuff.

Then, using the Demon Oil III as a container, I applied Ectoplasm and Serpent Venom. Again, my skill is 15, so I got Demon Oil III +3. This made me very excited, because Demon Oil III was pretty devastating even without the +3.

When I went into battle, I readied my Demon Oil III +3, held down the left shift key, so I could target the floor between monsters... but I could only target the monsters. I should be able to throw demon oil anywhere, and see a neat little red overlay of the affected area, but I didn't get that.

When I did click a monster, instead of a flood of orange fire, I got one rather puny hit against that one monster. I wanted fire!

I think it's bugged. Is it?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Demon Oil III +3 isn't demon oil

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Neebat wrote:I made some demon oil, with 15 skill in alchemy, by combining sulfur and ambergris in an empty flask. Since my skill is 15, it's Demon Oil III, the good stuff.

Then, using the Demon Oil III as a container, I applied Ectoplasm and Serpent Venom. Again, my skill is 15, so I got Demon Oil III +3. This made me very excited, because Demon Oil III was pretty devastating even without the +3.

When I went into battle, I readied my Demon Oil III +3, held down the left shift key, so I could target the floor between monsters... but I could only target the monsters. I should be able to throw demon oil anywhere, and see a neat little red overlay of the affected area, but I didn't get that.

When I did click a monster, instead of a flood of orange fire, I got one rather puny hit against that one monster. I wanted fire!

I think it's bugged. Is it?
Any time Demon Oil is + damage, it stops acting like an area effect weapon. I kept meaning to ask why that was. You can actually find +x Demon Oil occasionally. I now sell it because it's worth a lot more and I can get the stuff for regular demon oil from the profit.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is a bug.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Neebat
Initiate

Post by Neebat »

Is it a bug that you can enchant demon oil to add damage? Because I thought that was pretty cool. Or is it a bug that the enchanted demon oil doesn't explode?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

It's a bug that the system doesn't recognize Demon Oil after you imbue it. We will have this working for Book 2, and we'll see about patching Book 1 in the future.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:and we'll see about patching Book 1 in the future.
-*mouth open*

-Not to be nosy and to nit-pick your words...but..does this mean Book I will see..if not large, a little small patch-sort-of-thing?

-Just wondering, no one get mad at me please.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Well, Book I may still have a few tiny lingering bugs, but for the most part it is completely playable and more bug-free than most commercial games. I don't know if we'll ever patch the current version beyond 1.05.

I don't want to jump too far ahead of our plans, but we've tossed around the idea of re-releasing Book 1 as a "Platinum Edition" complete with a few more dungeons, a few game enhancements, and of course any lingering bugs fixed. This would not happen until after we wrap up work on Book 3, so we're talking probably a few years from now. The reasoning behind this is that it is likely Book 1 may not function properly on future versions of Windows, MacOS or Linux. Patching old software can only go so far....at some point, we'll need to rework the original code to function on current (future) systems.

All this hinges on how successful Book 2 is, and then of course Book 3. If we make it that far and fans want to see an "Updated Enhanced Edition" of Book 1, we'll be happy to do it.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I don't want to jump too far ahead of our plans, but we've tossed around the idea of re-releasing Book 1 as a "Platinum Edition" complete with a few more dungeons, a few game enhancements, and of course any lingering bugs fixed. This would not happen until after we wrap up work on Book 3, so we're talking probably a few years from now. The reasoning behind this is that it is likely Book 1 may not function properly on future versions of Windows, MacOS or Linux. Patching old software can only go so far....at some point, we'll need to rework the original code to function on current (future) systems.

All this hinges on how successful Book 2 is, and then of course Book 3. If we make it that far and fans want to see an "Updated Enhanced Edition" of Book 1, we'll be happy to do it.
Hey, BW - I'm wondering how this would work: would this effectively be an update to the Book I engine, or would it be more like rerendering the Book I world with either the Book II or Book III engine?

The reason I ask is because the latter means we could possibly use the Basilisk Map Editor on the (rereleased) Thaermore maps, while the former would mean we probably wouldn't. (Also, the former would still likely mean the small-ish screen resolution of Book I, right?...)

Anyway, I know we're getting ahead of ourselves! :)

(And I'm wondering if this thread should be moved to the Book I area now - it seems like it's more appropriate there, than here in the Windows Bug area! ;) )