Beta testers needed!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Beta testers needed!

Post by IJBall »

CrazyBernie wrote:
IJBall wrote:One minor thing I noticed last night is that if you click on any of the Book I or Book II screenshots and pull them up on screen, and then click on the webbrowser's 'Back' button, you are taken back to the Home Page and *not* to the Book I or Book II page where you just were - if you then click on the browser's 'Forward' button from the Home Page, you are then advanced to either the Book I or Book II page you were just at (but clicking the Forward button again does not take you back to the screenshot!).
Click on the picture to close out the "album." You're still technically on the Book I/II page which is why clicking "back" takes you back to the homepage.
It looks like BW reworked the screenshot 'viewer', because now there's a little 'X' 'close' box you can click to close out the screenshot, and go back to the Book I or Book II page directly.
CrazyBernie wrote:I think the Sword looks pretty badass... and would be even cooler if it was animated to slide into the logo... a "sheathing" perhaps with some sparks flying and such. :mrgreen:
I, too, like the new 'sword'. :)
Sparks would be cool too... :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:It looks like BW reworked the screenshot 'viewer', because now there's a little 'X' 'close' box you can click to close out the screenshot, and go back to the Book I or Book II page directly.
Huh... There was a second ago! But now screenshots are back to working the way they were yesterday... Oh well!

Anyway, Bernie's right - just clicking on the screenshot closes it, sending you back to the Book I/II page.

But I do think having a little 'X' close box included in the screenshot viewer, along with the "<<" & ">>" buttons would be good...
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Thanks Siemova! That appears to have been the problem. :D
Excellent! You're welcome.

About the sword: at first glance it didn't bother me much - probably because the sword itself looks cool - but the more I look at it the more it seems... out of place. I think it's partly that the crossguard overlaps the K, combined with the blade overlapping the page frame. It ends up looking awkward, because you know that configuration would be physically impossible. :P Might look better if it weren't screwing with our depth perception (if the crossguard stayed behind the K, at least the sword wouldn't appear bent), but I suspect it'd look best in a different arrangement, or absent altogether.

I do like the idea of adding an element or two for the sake of interest, though. If it's not the sword - or even if that's left in - further ornamentation along the lines of the current corner filigree would be nice.

Following a similar vein: the site content feels rather disembodied in the middle of all that blackness, which makes an otherwise solid design look somehow... insubstantial. Dated, even. Some sort of modern gradient, a subdued texture, flanking decorations, and/or even a scene in the outer background would help a lot to polish off the composition and lend a bit of context. Which in turn would surely contribute to converting visitors into customers. ;)

Beyond that, everything's looking good!
"What you embrace is what you become."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Siemova wrote:Following a similar vein: the site content feels rather disembodied in the middle of all that blackness, which makes an otherwise solid design look somehow... insubstantial. Dated, even. Some sort of modern gradient, a subdued texture, flanking decorations, and/or even a scene in the outer background would help a lot to polish off the composition and lend a bit of context. Which in turn would surely contribute to converting visitors into customers. ;)
Okay, I'll see what we can do with it this weekend.

Open question to all: should Book 2's screenshots be downsized from the native 1024x768 to 800x600? I ask because I noticed on our Mac Book, the browser doesn't open large enough to show the whole screen plus the arrow controls. Does anyone else have trouble seeing the whole screen and gallery controls?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Open question to all: should Book 2's screenshots be downsized from the native 1024x768 to 800x600? I ask because I noticed on our Mac Book, the browser doesn't open large enough to show the whole screen plus the arrow controls. Does anyone else have trouble seeing the whole screen and gallery controls?
I vote 'no'.

I have exactly the same issue as you do on my MacBook. But if you just scroll down a little, you can see the buttons.

I think it's more important to get across the new higher(larger) resolution of Book II. Just IMHO, tho.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Open question to all: should Book 2's screenshots be downsized from the native 1024x768 to 800x600? I ask because I noticed on our Mac Book, the browser doesn't open large enough to show the whole screen plus the arrow controls. Does anyone else have trouble seeing the whole screen and gallery controls?
I think they should be in both sizes.

Also, the Catacombs page looks too simple.

Good work!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

King_ov_Death wrote:I think they should be in both sizes.
Agreed.... unless the "album" doesn't allow for it, in which case I'm with:
IJBall wrote:I vote 'no'.

I have exactly the same issue as you do on my MacBook. But if you just scroll down a little, you can see the buttons.

I think it's more important to get across the new higher(larger) resolution of Book II. Just IMHO, tho.
Also, I wouldn't downsize them if it means losing any sort of visual quality. The native screenshots look razor sharp. Downsizing might make them look worse than Book I, and we don't want that... :shock:
King_ov_Death wrote:Also, the Catacombs page looks too simple.
The dead have little need for "the finer things in life." :mrgreen: I say the simpler the archive the better.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I agree with the need for some sort of change to the Catacombs page. On my Mac it looks kind of raw or dark or unfinished.

This just makes me soooo excited about Book 2!
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-That sword is pretty BA. Haha. I'de buy it as an Eschalon collector's sword. lulululul. $50 for it! llolololl! Eschalon figuruines SOON TO COME! ahah. jk.

-Agreed that catacombs looks outdated.

-Shiny new site looks catchy and clean.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I just scroll around to look at screen shots. My Mac iBook only allows me to see part of the image at a time, but you can see more details this way.
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by micks »

Linux/Firefox, everything seems to be working ok. Nice design, too.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

When I comment on the new site, I can see my comment while it says "your comment is waiting for moderation."
Seems a little odd.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Maybe it's because you're from Alaska? We all know how you Alaskans can't be trusted... especially when it comes to moderation.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dies a Lot »

WOW, That's way to cold! :lol: :lol: :lol:
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

Evnissyen wrote:Maybe it's because you're from Alaska? We all know how you Alaskans can't be trusted... especially when it comes to moderation.
Come on up for a visit, you might be surprised :twisted:
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"