Best Fantasy Movies!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Elveronion
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Best Fantasy Movies!

Post by Elveronion »

er, maybe that wasn't the best title?? :oops: anyways.....

let's get a list going of the best fantasy films ever made! first off, let's get this out of the way: Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter kick ass. we probably all can agree there, but what else?

my votes:

Dragonslayer, from about 1981 i think - excellent dragon effects there!

Legend, from about 1985 - silly story and bad acting, but still has a great fantasy feel.

Willow, from 1988 - again, great adventure movie with good fantasy elements.

what else?
geishaboy
Marshall

Re: Best Fantasy Movies!

Post by geishaboy »

Elveron wrote:Legend, from about 1985 - silly story and bad acting, but still has a great fantasy feel.
That movie is insane, I still don't really understand what is going on when I watch it

I actually can't think of any else, I have seen a couple of Dungeons and Dragons movies, they're good, but not the best of the best
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Labyrinth with David Bowie as the Goblin king holding Jennifer Connely's brother was a good. Great special effects with the gigantic maze.

Ralph Bashki's Wizards while had the terrible animation of the period had a decent plot with plenty of twists.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Loved LOTR movies.

-Though the last one could have ended without that slow motion-highly brightened-omg Frodo waking up scene. =P
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dies a Lot »

Here's a few that I've really enjoyed over the years. But, not all of them of course. :lol:

The Princess Bride

Excalibur

LadyHawke

A Knight's Tale

Along with the ones mentioned above. :)
Sword61
Pledge

Post by Sword61 »

Having just finally pried the trilogy from my 19 year old daughter, I have to name one of my favorites.

Eragon

As always, the novels are better than the movie. I still find the dragons to be some of the best in film.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

I Think that the best fantasy movie i ever watched is - FINAL FANTASY -
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I second on Dragonslayer and Ladyhawk. Sure, Ladyhawk was Hollywood, but still... not too bad a film at all.

...I'd have to actually give some thought to that question before I come up with a list, since I'm not a big fantasy fan, but I'm sure I could come up with some titles.

Oh! Jabberwocky! Terry Gilliam! Michael Palin!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I'm going to tread a slightly different path and nominate "The Last Unicorn." I'm pretty sure it was the first fantasy film I ever saw... I believe I was in 2nd grade, and we watched it in the gym/cafeteria. It was likely the underpinnings of my interest with the fantasy genre, including books, roleplaying games, and crpgs.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

CrazyBernie wrote:I'm going to tread a slightly different path and nominate "The Last Unicorn."
Hehe, yeah I actually have that one on DVD (erm, for my kids, of course!). Remember there was another fantasy animation about the same time called "Flight of Dragons"? It proposed that dragons flew not by their wings but by filling up with hot gases so they looked sorta like blimps!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hmm... I missed that one. I guess it didn't make it up to the backwoods of Maine. :mrgreen:

The next movie on my list would be Krull.
function.require
Apprentice

Post by function.require »

Nobody mentioned 'The Dark Crystal'. One of the best.

'Time Bandits', another favorite for me.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

Uhm, it isn't a movie but...Dr. Who!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Humm, movies that influenced me..
I'm dating myself here.. :)

Wizard of Oz
3D version of "The Mask"..man, was that movie creepy and scary! (not strictly fantasy, and not the comedy movie with the dog, this was Aztec or something like that.)
Princess Bride
Dark Chrystal (thanks for reminding me about it)
Lord of the Rings
Lady Hawk
..must be more but my mind can't think well today, lack of sleep last night. Yawn!
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

49: I love the old Dr. Who (Pertwee & Baker), myself, but I wouldn't consider it fantasy at all. Science Fiction, yes, but fantasy? No way.

Otherwise I'd agree.

EDIT: Oh, also there were, actually, I think several Dr. Who films. An early black&white one involving the Daleks, also a really lame one in, I think, the early 90's . . . I think there was another one early on? Not sure.

EDIT #2: Just took a look at IMDb... digging through it, it looks like there were three (not including TV-only)? Dr. Who & the Daleks (1965), Daleks' Invasion Earth (1966) and The Wrath of Eukor (1984). Anyone else know of any others?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.