Siege Of Avalon anyone?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Siege Of Avalon anyone?

Post by Rush »

I've been immersed within an ongoing/exhausting RPG search upon the net/web which has taken me months, now, at an average rate of 2 to 4 hours per day, heh.

Being too lazy to, yet again, re-read every post upon these boards in order to see if Siege Of Avalon was mentioned prior to this...I'll just mention it here within this brand-spankin' new topic, heh-heh.

Siege Of Avalon
is a free RPG weighing in at 87.30 MB, created by Digital Tome. For my part, I discovered the game upon Softpedia, although I was unable to find Didgital Tome's actual web site.

I plan upon downloading the game sometime within the near future...something to do while awaiting Eschalon, Book II. Has anyone played it yet?

I took a little look-see at the game's screen shots, also provided by Softpedia, and I will darned if they do not visually remind me of a cross between Jeff Vogel's Spiderweb games, and Basilisk's Eschalon games.

Am I making some sort of point, and/or possibly a complaint here? No, heh...neither. From what I have seen, the game looks cool, and I am simply curious (again) as to whether or not anyone has played Siege Of Avalon, and if so...what do/did you think?

Thanks for listening...

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Siege Of Avalon anyone?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Rush wrote:I've been immersed within an ongoing/exhausting RPG search upon the net/web which has taken me months, now, at an average rate of 2 to 4 hours per day, heh.

Being too lazy to, yet again, re-read every post upon these boards in order to see if Siege Of Avalon was mentioned prior to this...I'll just mention it here within this brand-spankin' new topic, heh-heh.

Siege Of Avalon
is a free RPG weighing in at 87.30 MB, created by Digital Tome. For my part, I discovered the game upon Softpedia, although I was unable to find Didgital Tome's actual web site.

I plan upon downloading the game sometime within the near future...something to do while awaiting Eschalon, Book II. Has anyone played it yet?

I took a little look-see at the game's screen shots, also provided by Softpedia, and I will darned if they do not visually remind me of a cross between Jeff Vogel's Spiderweb games, and Basilisk's Eschalon games.

Am I making some sort of point, and/or possibly a complaint here? No, heh...neither. From what I have seen, the game looks cool, and I am simply curious (again) as to whether or not anyone has played Siege Of Avalon, and if so...what do/did you think?

Thanks for listening...

---Rush.
I think your use of colors is giving me a headache, but I'd love a LINK. :)

Ah, here's a link... http://soaos.sourceforge.net/

Windows only, sadly, so not for me.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

This looks familiar, but I'm not quite sure if I've played it. I think I remember seeing it in a jewel case in the value software years ago... when I was doing some heavy rpg'ing. It should be noted that just the first chapter is what you'll be downloading... so it's more like a demo.
Sword61
Pledge

Post by Sword61 »

Not tthat bad of a game. Sadly, Digital Tome did not survive to produce the sequal game in the series, Pillars of Avalon. Steven Davis, (Blackfly Studios) was one of the programmers for the game. He has released some updates and utilities to correct some of the problems. (http://www.blackflystudios.com/default.html)
Siege has a good following in Germany, with a very active modding group. (http://soamigos.de/wbb/index.php) If you chance to find it in a bargin bin, It's worth the cost.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Thank you for providing the link, Kreador Freeaxe. I was having trouble finding the download. Seems that many sites feature the game in some fashon, but when clicking upon the download links provided...turns out there are no actual downloads at the end of the rainbow. Oh, heh...sorry about the color within my post. Just checking out the board features a bit.

You are right, CrazyBernie, about the download being a demo. That one flew by me, but then again...I have never been accused of possessing an over-abundance of intelligence to begin with, lol.

Good info, Sword61. It is always sad when a company disbans before a sequel is put out upon the shelves. Reminds me of the mega-hit series "Langrisser" in Japan. We here within North America only saw the first game of the series ported over via the Saga Genesis by Treco. It was called Warsong. I loved that game, and still own a copy.

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

I grabed this off ebay just after Saxon1974 posted it in 2007 Image but had issues with GFX while running it - might have been my Radeon card at the time or it just doesn't like XP :) Thanks for the extra links I'll see if can get it running this time :)
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I downloaded the chapter one demo and have restarted several times. No manual in the demo, but I found quite a few fan sites with plenty of information about controls, quests and so on. I went out into the first village four times, getting killed rather quickly each time, before I found out I had to initiate combat mode by pressing the space bar. On the bright side, my fighter managed to kill a couple bad guys with just his hands due to my ignorance. I may just do a search for the rest of the game.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

yeah that is usefu info but if u pressed F1 from the beginning - (Help button) in most games - u would have realised that there is a button called combat mode oh yeah ..
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I just ordered Siege of Avalon Anthology from a place called Software Blowout for $7.10 and $3.00 for shipping. New in jewel case. Now to wait for the mail.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

CrazyBernie wrote:This looks familiar, but I'm not quite sure if I've played it. I think I remember seeing it in a jewel case in the value software years ago... when I was doing some heavy rpg'ing. It should be noted that just the first chapter is what you'll be downloading... so it's more like a demo.
So I'm doing a little cleaning up after my cat knocked a bunch of stuff off my desk... and what should I find on one of my CD spindles but the Siege of Avalon disc!! 0_o I guess I did more than just see it... :mrgreen:
PKodon
Initiate

Post by PKodon »

Ahh yes, one of my favorite games.

I have the Anthology CD (well, the contents of it, at least. my CD cracked, but not before I had discovered that I could just copy the single file that was on the CD to my HD and install it from there :D

Anyway, another game I like to mod. I discovered that I could edit the Items.db, adding custom armor and weapons for my character to use; the Character.pox file (putting some of those items on my character at the start of the game); and the various conversation files (at first correcting a few typos, then later adding custom dialog to give new training or give items based on what kind of character I was and how I had dealt with some of the side quests.)

To deal with the scripting in the conversation files, I had to search through the files and make a list of possible commands (I also looked in the map files for embedded scripts that changed my character's stats, though some of the commands from the maps didn't work).

Sadly, I lost all that info on a computer that was in storage, and now I have to start over again.

I discovered some interesting things while looking through the conversation files. I don't remember them all, but I do remember one in particular. It seems that at some point in the development of the game, they were going to have the possibility where Olon would turn out to be a traitor and escape Avalon. Presumably, then, you would have had to deal with him later in the game (and I don't mean buying/selling). I'm glad they decided not to finish that thread.

The game had gone Open Source some years ago, but they've had trouble getting people to work on development (they had to reinvent the game, as the old game engine had parts that were licensed from another company, and those were not freely redistributable). They have a SourceForge website, but I'm not sure what their current status is. You can still get patches for the game on the website, if you find a copy of the Anthology CD somewhere.

The only drawback I personally found in the game, apart from those typos, was that the inventory windows they used for the NPCs were not the same height as the one for the PC, so you might have some trouble removing tall items, lile staves and spears, from some of the NPCs (or putting some back, if you are trying to re-arrange your inventory).

If I had the skills and the time, I'd love to work on the Open Source project. The last time I visited their website, they mentioned some company had decided to partner with them to help with development costs (with what strings attached, they didn't say.

An excellent game, if you can find it.

PK
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Here is the link to my post on this game.

My main problem with it is the forced linearity. It feels like a novel where you have no say in anything. If the game gets better later on let me know.
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

I used to have all 6 parts and for me the game was more work than fun....But thats just me :D
It wouldn't run on XP so it may not run on newer systems..
nigmashumma
Initiate

Post by nigmashumma »

I like all parts of the game very much! Great music, amazing story!
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

I've tried the game on GOG and steam and after about 15 seconds it crashes and the screen goes black.
I have a Digital storm Gaming computer with 12 cores and windows 10 and it does nothing but crash :(