The Witcher

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Fleisch
Marshall

The Witcher

Post by Fleisch »

I don't know about the combat (I'd prefer my own poor hand-eye coordination not come into play at all), but the bit about the consequences of your actions sounds intriguing.

Preview on Games Radar:
http://tinyurl.com/2rdvyw
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

You know, I remember reading about The Witcher a looong time ago and even then it had some great-looking screenshots, but I haven't taken a close look at it for a while. It looks like is has evolved nicely, but...is there really more to it than a shiny hack-n-slash orgy? I am growing more and more doubtful with each preview.

Still, it really does look quite lovely. When a demo is available I'll definitely take a look at it.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Yeah, I've been pretty much on the fence over this game for a long time now. On the one hand it looks like an interesting, gritty setting and has the promise of real in-depth RP with choice and consequence actions with some "mature" content and other such things.
On the other hand, it looks pretty hack-and-slash. What I'm guessing is that there will be hubs where you can talk to people and get quests which are based on your choices, but between those hubs are reams and reams of baddies you have to chop through to get to the next talky part.

Now, that can be fun or it can be a complete nightmare. Usually the latter. And what tends to happen with games like that is you run out of RPG stuff about 2/3 of the way through and end up slogging through fight after fight until the Big Fight at the end.

This one will definitely need a demo to sell me on it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

On the other hand, it looks pretty hack-and-slash.
I just checked out their official site, since they released a trailer. Boy, does their website have some impressive texture work. However, after watching the trailer and a video on their motion-capture work for fights (likewise very impressive and painstaking), I came to the sad conclusion that it is indeed an FPS (first-person stabber) game. In fact, it actually seems more like a beat-'em-up, what with the combos and somersaults and all. Too bad, because there's a lot about it to admire, but that sort of play style is undoable for me.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dang, sadly I agree and this games looks less playable the more I see as well...

Just another game to check off the list of potential RPG's I wanna play. I have yet to find a first person RPG with real time combat that I really liked, and each title that comes out makes me believe less and less that its possible.

Maybe soon I will trade in my pc and get a nice new shiny XBOX 360 and play all the cool FPS games. Sigh...
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Saxon1974 wrote: Maybe soon I will trade in my pc and get a nice new shiny XBOX 360 and play all the cool FPS games. Sigh...
Don't trade it in. Get the 360 and play the shiny games and keep the PC for the indie games and such. Then in 3 years or so buy a new PC for not very much.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote: Maybe soon I will trade in my pc and get a nice new shiny XBOX 360 and play all the cool FPS games. Sigh...
Don't trade it in. Get the 360 and play the shiny games and keep the PC for the indie games and such. Then in 3 years or so buy a new PC for not very much.
Hehe, I was having an angry moment. Not sure I will get an XBOX 360, those types of games dont do much for me, at least not for 399$ for an XBOX. I do like the sports games a bit though. Maybe when the prices come down and I can find one for 200$ i will consider it.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I'm considering getting a console when the time comes that I've got some money to spare. I want to play Bioshock and GTA IV, and there's a Civilization game coming to the console. In my household, getting a console would mean two entertainment platforms for less than buying a new second computer, so it's pretty tempting.

For Fallout 3 I'd want to go PC to get the mods.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Gallifrey wrote:I'm considering getting a console...
Blasphemer! :lol:

Actually, my guilty pleasure is that I enjoy fighting games...the Virtua Fighter series actually. I actually bought VF and VF2 for the PC way back like 10 years ago. I've never* owned a console but I'd consider getting a used PS3 just to have a Blu-Ray player and to play VF5 from time to time.

*Though my family had a Coleco Vision when I was young. Sweeeet.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Oh, a Colecovision! A friend had one of those, I recall playing some great games on that thing.

We all need our guilty pleasure games. I like the Grand Theft Auto series a heck of a lot and get a kick out of rally race games.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I remember my friend's brother had a colecovision and a vic 20. Not long after that we all got C-64's and that was all we played, or at least until Nintendo came out. Sure where some great RPG's on the C-64.

I think I remember playing pong on Colecovision? I think there was a text based adventure we played alot on the Vic 20, something about a vampire I think....

We all had the atari 2600's as well...
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

My very first game machine was a Pong console. It had fake wood panelling, two dials and some switches. Wish I still had it.
Then I got a Gemini system which was basically an Atari2600 knock-off and later acquired an actual 2600. Also had a Pac-Man machine, which looked like a mini arcade game.
And then the C64 and the Good Ol' Days. I missed the Amigas and whatnot, never had one of those. Went from the C64 to a 286 PC.

A friend of my father's was a big-time wargamer, he had an entire basement that was his games room. He had a Intellivision, and I'd play D&D games on that while he and my father played wargames on the huge war table. Good times!

And somewhere in there, I had access to a Vectorgraphics (Vectorgraphix?) machine which was darned cool.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Dude, a Vectrex? I would have sold my parents for one of those. Still is cool to this day.

I was an Atari guy...Atari 800 to Atari ST to the PC.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Gallifrey wrote:My very first game machine was a Pong console. It had fake wood panelling, two dials and some switches. Wish I still had it.
Then I got a Gemini system which was basically an Atari2600 knock-off and later acquired an actual 2600. Also had a Pac-Man machine, which looked like a mini arcade game.
And then the C64 and the Good Ol' Days. I missed the Amigas and whatnot, never had one of those. Went from the C64 to a 286 PC.
Ah, the good ol' days indeed! :)
We started out with a red plastic cover (donn't recall company) thingy with Pong on it. Then we got a C64, Amiga 500, 1200 then A5000. Now we have computers out the wazoo. :) I have a MacG4 and MacIpod. My son has an Ipod too, Mac and PC and my husband has a PC.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Dude, a Vectrex? I would have sold my parents for one of those. Still is cool to this day.
That's the one!