What we're working on today...

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

What we're working on today...

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Today we've been working in new combat abilities in Book II. These are automatic feats based on your skill level in the following categories:

Swords: Gains "Masterful Riposte" : A guaranteed strike, and then perfect parrying of all enemy attacks in the following round. Parried enemies suffer riposte damage equivalent to Sword's base damage.

Cleaving: Gains "Great Cleave" - strikes primary target and adjacent targets.

Bludgeoning: Gains "Devastating Blow" - Maximum weapon damage x2, and permanently reducing enemy Armor Rating by 50%

Piercing: Gains "Double Strike" - delivering two separate attacks in one attack round.

Bows: Gains "Intense Focus", a guaranteed precision attack on a vital spot delivering 3x damage

Thrown: Gains"Overwhelming Volley", up to eight weapons thrown at once, showering the target and adjacent tiles.

Unarmed Combat: Gains "Fury Strike", a powerful fist blow delivering 4x damage to one target.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: What we're working on today...

Post by AK_Marty »

This sounds really cool. A chance to take out a Taurax/Raptor class enemy in ONE WHACK!! Details like this make the waiting that much more agonising.

Keep up the great work BW!
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

i think this is a very nice idea and i can't wait to try it out when the game is released
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

Sounds great !
I can't believe that you forgot to mention it in our interview ;)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

AK_Marty wrote:This sounds really cool. A chance to take out a Taurax/Raptor class enemy in ONE WHACK!! Details like this make the waiting that much more agonising.

Keep up the great work BW!
I agree but am keeping in mind that enemy just might have the same skill and I will go down for the count.. :x

..and no, I don't think I'm putting ideas in BW's head. I'm sure he thought of it already. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

MaximB wrote:I can't believe that you forgot to mention it in our interview ;)
Sorry- it wasn't that I forgot....it's just it was still in the planning stages. I didn't want to mention it before I had the chance to play it myself and see it work. If it didn't work, I didn't want to have to go back and say "sorry- we changed our minds".

I can tell you this: having a highly skilled Piercing Weapons character strike with a dagger, then slash back across the other direction for a second strike in the same round is veeeery cool and satisfying!
mushpuppy
Initiate

Post by mushpuppy »

BW you keep coming up with cool ideas. I'd like to see some quicker ways to travel. Horses or something. And more dungeons! A random cave generator might be useful.

Of course I have no idea how to create such a thing. (Big sigh.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Updated first post- additional changes made to Skill Feats after a day of coding and testing...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Thrown: Chance for "Overwhelming Volley", up to eight weapons thrown at once, showering the target and adjacent tiles.
Let's see this with some Demon Oil III... :twisted:
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Updated first post- additional changes made to Skill Feats after a day of coding and testing...
At what level of skill do these Feats take effect?
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Feats begin once you hit skill level 10. At level 10, you can use a Feat about once every 100 rounds. This waiting period drops with every skill level you add. During the course of the game it is not too hard to get 2 or even 3 weapons skills as high as Level 10, ensuring that you have access to a few different Skill Feats.

Once a skill feat is "ready", you can just store it until you want to use it. Once you use it, the round counter is reset and you have to wait to use it again. This way you can store up several different Feats for major fights.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

The "storing" up method is an interesting take on the "Feat" system.
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Feats begin once you hit skill level 10. At level 10, you can use a Feat about once every 100 rounds.
Are those combat rounds (as in every 100 strikes), or just 100 turns? You might consider throwing in a 1% chance of a "free" feat activation... even if it's a "lesser version" of the feat. I know that with 1% dodge, seeing a successful dodge was exciting. Scoring a successful feat activation on a 1% chance would be BA.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Feats begin once you hit skill level 10. At level 10, you can use a Feat about once every 100 rounds.
Wait a minute, I thought the feats were automatic. I thought "automatic" meant that it would happen randomly rather than me choosing to use it. For example, you strike at an enemy, and there's a certain percent chance such a feat is possible. If you make the roll, it happens. The higher your skill, the greater the chance of a feat happening.

If that's not how it works and I have to choose to use it, then what's "automatic" about it? (Don't mean to sound rude, just trying to understand)
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

MyGameCompany wrote:
Wait a minute, I thought the feats were automatic. I thought "automatic" meant that it would happen randomly rather than me choosing to use it. For example, you strike at an enemy, and there's a certain percent chance such a feat is possible. If you make the roll, it happens. The higher your skill, the greater the chance of a feat happening.

If that's not how it works and I have to choose to use it, then what's "automatic" about it? (Don't mean to sound rude, just trying to understand)
The first build of this new system, on Monday, had automatic Feats that were based on a chance of occurrence. It worked well enough, but it lacked strategy because you could not choose to use the Feat when you needed it. There is no greater frustration than to have a "Critical Pummel" used on a lesser creature when a large boss is moving in behind it, and then you don't know if you'll see another feat in 3 rounds or 80 rounds. Also, our original setting of 5% at level 10 (1 in 20 strikes) was way too high and would have cause a sort of "inflation" in terms of enemy Hit Points to maintain game balance.

So yesterday we changed this to give you a notification when the feat was ready to use, then when you want it, you hold down the left-shift while attacking. The feat occurs, and begins the count down until the next available usage. Right now at level 10 with the current settings, this is once every 80 rounds. The wait between feats then drops by about 3 rounds per skill point after that (expect these numbers to change as we continue to balance).

It feels pretty balanced, but more testing is needed. As always, don't be surprised if it undergoes more changes.
CrazyBernie wrote:Are those combat rounds (as in every 100 strikes), or just 100 turns?
Sorry- I tend to mix up the term round and turn. That would be 100 turns, which really isn't any different than 100 player rounds. And also, I just lowered it to once every 80 turns @ level 10.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

In essence, it's an ability that requires a build-up of stamina to use... with the difference being that each feat has it's own stamina "bar."