Who's getting Dragon Age?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Who's getting Dragon Age?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I have actually not been looking forward to Dragon Age, until I saw this video:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dra ... s/17-1477/

The two guys talking over the video are really annoying, but I have to say for me this was a better promotional video than any of the crap that I've seen before. This video makes Dragon Age look like a very fun RPG (as contemporary modern RPGs go).

I think I will pick this game up after all!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Who's getting Dragon Age?

Post by Saxon1974 »

I totally agree with you here.

The earlier previews I saw irritated me with their need to try and be edgy with sex scenes and massive amounts of gushing blood...not to mention the Marilyn Manson music and action oriented chaotic combat.

From this Video, it does appear to have a tactical side to combat. I was glad to see that when he didn't coordinate his attacks properly some of his guys died. I like the "wound" feature in the game. That being said, them standing right back up after combat seems a bit goofy.

I love boxes with goodies...cloth maps, sound track DVD's etc....so I pre-ordered the game just mostly so I could get the cloth map!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I do like the FF/JRPG style unified inventory.

From the data I was able to extrapolate out of the friendly commentary, it's shaping up to be a pretty challenging game. :shock:

I haven't picked up/played a good "triple-A" title in awhile... there's a pretty good chance I'll grab this one. That is, if I don't grab Borderlands first.... hmmmm. Might have to sell another iBook. Any buyers?? :mrgreen:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

What are the stats on that iBook?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Lol, it's a 12" 800MHz G3 (solid white) with 640MB of SDRAM, a 30GB hard drive, 32MB Radeon 7500, Airport Card, currently running OSX 10.4.11. Nothing special. I bought to mess around with OSX, rebuild and re-sell. I'm planning on posting it up on craigslist for $250 as is, or $300 to up the hard drive to 40GB and order and replace the CD-ROM with a DVD/CDRW Combo. Physically it's in great shape, and the battery will still last a good 2-3 hours during normal use. I was going to keep it, but the Airport card in it (wireless B) won't recognize the high level encryption from my wireless N router. I'd hate to spend the money on a wireless N USB adapter just for home use... it works fine everywhere else. I can actually pick up signal from a neighbor across the street when I'm in my living room.... :roll:

I also have a 12" 500Mhz G3 (original translucent white) with 320MB SDRAM, a 40GB Drive, 8MB ATI Rage, and Airport Card I'm looking to off for $150. It's in a bit more rough around the edges though... the guy who had it before me did a bang up job of working on it (he upgraded the hard drive) and cracked the casing just in front of the mouse button. It also has a great working battery. I'd replace the whole casing, but then I'd have to sell it for a bit more than I'd like to.

Ideally I'll sell both and pick up a hybrid netbook/subnotebook... or maybe some games that I've been missing out on. :mrgreen:
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Pre-ordered the collectors edition about a month ago along with "Assassin's Creed 2 Black Edition" & Borderlands - look to be a good couple of months of gaming comin out :D
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

I might try to grab it somewhere down the line, but the suspicious earlier previews pretty much bumped it off the list in lieu of other games for the last bit of my gaming funds. Odds are there'll be a ton of stuff to it down the line considering their User Editor and the like...and maybe some of the various bits of odd DLC will get settled and included outright.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I'd like to get it but it appears there's no Mac version.

EDIT: But even if I had a PC, $47 is just a little expensive. Maybe it's worth it; I don't know.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Zeno
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Zeno »

It is considered to be a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.
Hmm, after all the sex and gore scenes with rock music playing, I kinda tuned completely out of interest of this game. However, now that I bother to take a look at it, color me interested.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I have my copy on pre-order. Simply waiting for the November release. Looks interesting.
History is written by the winners!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Evnissyen wrote:I'd like to get it but it appears there's no Mac version.

EDIT: But even if I had a PC, $47 is just a little expensive. Maybe it's worth it; I don't know.
I guess price is subjective, but a game that should entertain you for at least 50 hours and probably more is too expensive? Game prices have not went up in 20 years, I still remember paying 60$ for Ultima V back in 1986\1987. Heck, dinner and a move costs as much as that for one evening. Now don't get me started on how much better quality was back then for RPG's... :)

Then again its all depending on your point of view :)
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-I just downloaded the demo off of steam. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I get around to it! =]
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I'm going to wait for a few reviews from trustworthy sources. I am particularly interested in how tactical the combat is.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Evnissyen wrote:I'd like to get it but it appears there's no Mac version.

I guess price is subjective, but a game that should entertain you for at least 50 hours and probably more is too expensive? Game prices have not went up in 20 years, I still remember paying 60$ for Ultima V back in 1986\1987. Heck, dinner and a move costs as much as that for one evening. Now don't get me started on how much better quality was back then for RPG's... :)

Then again its all depending on your point of view :)
Agree'd value to dollar ratio is very high on quality RPGs. We're talking pennies an hour for quality entertainment.

I just went to Wicked in Des Moines.

2 Tickets: $175 (after ticketmaster Deliverance style fees)
Dinner: $60 (with tip) at a moderately priced brewery a few blocks down
Gas: $15

Total for 3-4 hours of entertainment and mealing: $250

Now don't get me wrong, Wicked was down right mesmerizing but comparatively Video Games tend to be some of the cheapest entertainment you can find (other than your local library).

So I get frustrated when people say I really think I'd like this game or that game (that has dozens of hours of entertainment) but 20 dollars or 40 dollars or 60 dollars is too much. There's of course you still can't afford it argument but alas if you can't afford 50 bucks for Dragon Age there isn't much else you'll find for as much entertainment cheaper I suspect.

My nickle (inflation on .02)
Zeno
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Zeno »

dare49devil wrote:-I just downloaded the demo off of steam. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when I get around to it! =]
There is no demo on Steam. There's the character creator, if that's what you're talking about...