October/November Update

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

October/November Update

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

As promised, here is the official Book II development update:

The game is coming along very well. We had an early alpha test in September which resulted in over 100 fixes/suggestions. The month of October has been spent preparing the game to be submitted to the 2010 Independent Game Festival (entry deadline is November 1). That means we didn't get a lot of late game content done, but we did apply a whole bunch of "bling" to the make the game look and sound its best!

In terms of engine development, everything is essentially in place and working. Just a couple of minor tasks still exist in the "ToDo" list for programming. Sound and music has come a long way as part of the October bling makeover. As for game content, we are still behind where we are scheduled to be (we are about three months behind where we thought we'd be with content now) but we are making great advances daily. With programming and polish mostly out of the way, we are moving full-steam ahead with content.

The big question is: will Book II make it out before the end of 2009? Honestly it is looking a bit doubtful, but we are not forecasting any kind of significant delay. Our next big internal test is scheduled for early December, and we hope that leads into the semi-public beta test a few weeks after that. If all goes well, a January release is certainly possible! :D Besides, after the chaos of the holidays, that would be a perfect time to sit down with a good old-fashion RPG and burn away the rest of the winter months!

More info to come!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
micks
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: October/November Update

Post by micks »

Great news. Take as much time as you need and good luck on the rest of development.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

Thanks for the update! It's getting close... I can almost feel it. Truth be told a December or January release would be optimal for me considering how much school I have to do right now.

Anyway keep up the awesome!
Eddward
Initiate

Post by Eddward »

I won't hold a grudge if you aren't don't this year. Give it time and make sure you're pleased with it. Book I was great. Hopefully there's no need to rush Book II.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Unclever title wrote:Thanks for the update! It's getting close... I can almost feel it. Truth be told a December or January release would be optimal for me considering how much school I have to do right now.
January would actually be perfect for me, as I have pretty much the whole month off! :mrgreen:

Even better - if the Beta is after mid-December, I might be able to do it. (I wasn't planning on signing up for the Beta during the regular school year because my teaching load is heavy enough that I wouldn't be able to pull my weight - but if it's end of the year, I may be able to help out!).
Unclever title wrote:Anyway keep up the awesome!
Yeppers! And thanks for the update, BW!!
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

Thanks for the update. I am sure Book II will come first in the 2010 festival.

End of December will be a great date to enlist for the beta as work is always calm around the new year ;-)

Take care
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

Yes, thank you for the update and please do take your time to get it the way you want it. I look forward to seeing what the new year holds for Book II.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

A January release would be fine. Then I can send it to my brother for his birthday on February first!!
Yes, that means I will buy a least TWO copies of Book II :mrgreen:
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
TNoyce
Apprentice

Post by TNoyce »

I'm glad to hear that things are coming along.

I'm not holding a grudge either. I'd much rather have a polished and bug-free product, than a 2009 release.
Tim Noyce
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Thank you for the update. I'd just come on to send you email about it. :D

I guess I can wait till Dec. :cry: It will be something to look forward to during the long, gray winter days ahead.

SIGH! :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Thanks for the update! I'm eagerly looking forward to it, but as others have said, I would rather have a good solid game than a hastily finished one. The ending for Book 1 felt hastily done. I'd rather wait a little and have more content and a more satisfying ending in Book 2!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Anticipation! The cruelty of it all! But this little update will help ease the withdrawal symptoms! But for a full cure I need Book II. But if more time will help the quality I can wait! Oh, the humanity!
History is written by the winners!
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

Wow we are really getting close now :O Great work there! :)
Faithful
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Faithful »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Our next big internal test is scheduled for early December, and we hope that leads into the semi-public beta test a few weeks after that.
Oh, I just realized I am semi-public; I have my online status show but no direct email contact!

Does that count toward being part of the beta test? :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Faithful wrote:Does that count toward being part of the beta test? :)
We'll post an online application for beta testers. For Book 1 we got over 200 applicants and chose about 15 to participate.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.