Who's getting Dragon Age?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Who's getting Dragon Age?

Post by Saxon1974 »

I have played the game for a little bit so far and I am rather enjoying it.

I didn't care much for the origin story, it feels completely forced and linear. The story and settings feels very generic high fantasy (They took years to create this back story?). This being said I do think the Voice acting is rather decent in this game, not great but better than in most games. I havent turned it off yet :)

The combat seems pretty good though, it's rather challenging if you play on hard and does require tactics to win. Not a fan of the health auto regen though.

Im hoping once I get further into it the world will open up a bit more and not feel so linear, this is a bioware game though :)
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Finally got my copy but I did play Borderlands 1st till a lightning storm hit and had to shut down for few hours before I loaded DA up - haven't really done much but it looks awesome.

The Special code system looks to have been done very well (finally) and getting redeem codes that cannot be spread all over the net for everyone else to have seems worth getting - this game must be costing them a fortune if they track the progress of every single player http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile ... =dragonage
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

For the expert Rpg'er out there apart from willpower and magic what other stat should I assign points to

Strength 10
Dexterity 10
Willpower 20 +1
Magic 20 +2
Cunning 12
Constitution 10

and what would you say would be good for skills talents & spells for A Mage
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Enough of this canada crap:P

I do not chase moose:P

Anyways...lovin the game so far....its like a modern age baldurs gate....the story I have seen so far has been pretty good. Fun game...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

It looks like they might be planning on overcharging for the DLC, IMHO. Seven dollars for an add-on seems a little steep, even if it adds a feature like a base of operations w/ party storage. Plus, the fact that they have quests that need to be purchased already in the game (and fairly early on, from what I've heard) is a bit cheap. It cries of "Hey, we couldn't finish this quest in time for the game's release, so let's put the hooks for it in the game and just charge people for it when we get around to completing it!"
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

The Stone Prisoner is $15 Warden's Keep $7 - now while I did get The Stone Prisoner with my game I think after spending $130 on a game and then being asked to fork out more money is a bit of a kick in the teeth not to mention your so called free in game bonuses "Blood Dragon Armor" being one - how is it free when you have to buy the crap in game to get them :(
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

How on earth did you pay 130 dollars? I paid 69 and got all the dl content...even nwithout it there is a ton of game in the game...plus free mod tool. I'm at a loss why it is a big deal at all...if you don't want it do buy the dl content...it is optional. To be honest I haven't even got to any of the dlc stuff other then the armor....
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Yea, sure it is optional..But when you buy a game..and there is DLC...You feel inclined to purchase it to be on the same level as everyone else. It feels as if you are 'missing out.' You know?

-I've never really played a game with that kind of combat system, so I kept my $65 bucks.

-I really wanted Aion..but it won't run through my university's ports. =[
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Rune_74 wrote:How on earth did you pay 130 dollars? I paid 69 and got all the dl content...even nwithout it there is a ton of game in the game...plus free mod tool. I'm at a loss why it is a big deal at all...if you don't want it do buy the dl content...it is optional. To be honest I haven't even got to any of the dlc stuff other then the armor....
The collectors edition here in Australia cost me $130 and yeah I've already got to a quest that asks about "Warden's Keep"
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Couldn't you just make a direct2drive account and put the states as your location? 130...man you guys are paying twice as much as us.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Rune_74 wrote:Couldn't you just make a direct2drive account and put the states as your location? 130...man you guys are paying twice as much as us.
That is what makes me Laugh when people complain about $47 per title you guys have no idea how lucky you are and WELL I'm old fashioned and Prefer to have something physical when buying games music or anything that is going Digital - while I can see the Advantage of the whole system I cannot get my head around buying something and getting nothing in return for my money.
Scales
Initiate

Post by Scales »

I was really looking forward to this game. I didn't follow it like some snot-nosed sycophant but I was interested. I mean, Bioware has street cred, ya-know-what-i'm-sayin? The thing that initially turned me off a lot was the blood spatter on my load screens and my inventory screens, etc. I mean what in the Maker's name were these guys thinking? It adds absolutely nothing to the game as far as I can figure, and, indeed IMHO, actually significantly distracts from the game. In order to play the game I essentially am forced to "tune" out the blood spatter. It really makes no sense, I mean was it the boss’s son’s idea or something? WTF! There are a few things that I really don't need to see all over my inventory and load screens, and bodily fluids are definitely way up there on that list. Weird that Bioware is unaware that a lot of the population is actively repulsed by bodily fluids. I mean, give me a break... IMHO whoever has the blood fetish over there at Bioware should be restrained from making these types of design decisions that the rest of us have to try and live with. Really, the cool art on various screens is diminished by the blood splatter. Oh well though, hopefully they will give an option that removes it. Seems very weird to me. In battle blood makes sense I guess, but dripping all over my cool character management screen, map, inventory screen, etc.? Lame guys, very lame. Otherwise the game was really pretty impressive, except for the ridiculously pompous characters, quests, and story. I avoid pretentious douches in real life, why do they think I want to cozy up to them in a game world? I'll probably get back into the game, but for now it hasn't been played in a few days. Also, the buy more play more game design with the DLC is a joke. I think they've gone too far. Back in the day, when you bought a game you bought the game. I mean there were always expansion packs and bonus materials, but not really on the first day (and the bonus for buying the deluxe box was usually a once only deal. I mean, it wasn't just supposed to be the first installment of the deluxe plan, etc.). For crying out loud. Bioware's star has been diminished. Whoever is responsible for this at Bioware should hang there head in shame, because otherwise this game has the potential to really shine. It's too bad really. Although, I'm sure I'll end up playing it. Just have to try and ignore the blood splatter on the screens and the ridiculously pompous npc interactions amongst the game characters. Oh well. Sort of wish I could have stayed a casteless dwarf in Orzammar and had some fun. Games are supposed to fun... Guess they didn't get that memo. Still, I'm enough of a hypocrite that I'll probably start playing it again, and maybe even enjoy it. I guess it says something that Bioware can screw up a game but it's still worth playing. Whatever. Dragon Age Journeys was awesome though!

Sorry for the long post, but that's what I had to say about that. Ya-know-what-i'm-sayin? :wink:
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Scales wrote:I was really looking forward to this game. I didn't follow it like some snot-nosed sycophant but I was interested. I mean, Bioware has street cred, ya-know-what-i'm-sayin? The thing that initially turned me off a lot was the blood spatter on my load screens and my inventory screens, etc. I mean what in the Maker's name were these guys thinking? It adds absolutely nothing to the game as far as I can figure, and, indeed IMHO, actually significantly distracts from the game. In order to play the game I essentially am forced to "tune" out the blood spatter. It really makes no sense, I mean was it the boss’s son’s idea or something? WTF! There are a few things that I really don't need to see all over my inventory and load screens, and bodily fluids are definitely way up there on that list. Weird that Bioware is unaware that a lot of the population is actively repulsed by bodily fluids. I mean, give me a break... IMHO whoever has the blood fetish over there at Bioware should be restrained from making these types of design decisions that the rest of us have to try and live with. Really, the cool art on various screens is diminished by the blood splatter. Oh well though, hopefully they will give an option that removes it. Seems very weird to me. In battle blood makes sense I guess, but dripping all over my cool character management screen, map, inventory screen, etc.? Lame guys, very lame. Otherwise the game was really pretty impressive, except for the ridiculously pompous characters, quests, and story. I avoid pretentious douches in real life, why do they think I want to cozy up to them in a game world? I'll probably get back into the game, but for now it hasn't been played in a few days. Also, the buy more play more game design with the DLC is a joke. I think they've gone too far. Back in the day, when you bought a game you bought the game. I mean there were always expansion packs and bonus materials, but not really on the first day (and the bonus for buying the deluxe box was usually a once only deal. I mean, it wasn't just supposed to be the first installment of the deluxe plan, etc.). For crying out loud. Bioware's star has been diminished. Whoever is responsible for this at Bioware should hang there head in shame, because otherwise this game has the potential to really shine. It's too bad really. Although, I'm sure I'll end up playing it. Just have to try and ignore the blood splatter on the screens and the ridiculously pompous npc interactions amongst the game characters. Oh well. Sort of wish I could have stayed a casteless dwarf in Orzammar and had some fun. Games are supposed to fun... Guess they didn't get that memo. Still, I'm enough of a hypocrite that I'll probably start playing it again, and maybe even enjoy it. I guess it says something that Bioware can screw up a game but it's still worth playing. Whatever. Dragon Age Journeys was awesome though!

Sorry for the long post, but that's what I had to say about that. Ya-know-what-i'm-sayin? :wink:
You can turn off the persistent gore in the options screen. I agree the blood is stupid and I turned it off.

Also agree on the DLC but there is a ton of content in the game that I didn't really have a need to download the DLC.

Im having alot of fun with this game, there are things I dont like (auto regen of health, too linear and story driven but thats just personal opinion...) but overall its very polished and fun I think.
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

Iane wrote:
Rune_74 wrote:Couldn't you just make a direct2drive account and put the states as your location? 130...man you guys are paying twice as much as us.
That is what makes me Laugh when people complain about $47 per title you guys have no idea how lucky you are and WELL I'm old fashioned and Prefer to have something physical when buying games music or anything that is going Digital - while I can see the Advantage of the whole system I cannot get my head around buying something and getting nothing in return for my money.
What makes me laugh is why you didn't import the thing from the UK, Thailand, etc. Or, failing that, just have some patience and wait for the price to drop in 6 months time. The local shops, including steam are ripoff merchants. It isn't like the game is made in Australia or something.
dare49devil
Senior Council Member

Post by dare49devil »

-Wait 6 months for the price to drop? =O

-And explain how Steam is a ripoff merchant please?