Back to Beta

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to Beta

Post by Painted Lady »

Since many of us are salivating over the thought of Beta testing starting soon, I thought it might be appropriate to ask the question "How is Beta going to work"?

There was a thread in 2008 that had ideas about the best way to get dedicated testers involved. And, of course, there is the issue of platform. Will the real work of Beta be done on Windows, or will MAC users be able to help?

BTW, I am trying really, really hard to get into Avernum, but it just isn't the same thing. I would rather be working on the bugs in Book 2!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Back to Beta

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The beta will be handled by having everyone fill out an online application, then we'll choose testers from the pool of applicants.

How to improve your chances you'll get chosen? Make sure you fill everything out completely. Things like proper grammar and good punctuation go a long way with me (mostly because I tend to generate a lot of typos myself and I need the beta testers to catch some of them. Also, it shows that you pay attention to details.) We'll be choosing 10 people for the first round of testing which will focus on the Windows version, with a few people starting on the Mac version as well. Later we'll bring on a few more Mac people and also start on the Linux testing, probably around the time the Windows version is finished.

More info soon. January is going to be a very busy month for us here in the studio getting all of this ready to go.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ty5479
Initiate

Post by ty5479 »

Such a great way to start off the new year. I can't wait.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I bet the wrangler can be bought off with cupcakes.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

By the time the cupcakes get to him they'll be stale... and crushed... and all the frosting peeled off by 1. whatever wrapping you've used or 2. the roof of the box it keeps banging against during shipping. In the latter case it'll also contain new flecks of cardboard once they arrive.

But I'm sure he'll be thrilled!

Heh.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Evnissyen wrote:By the time the cupcakes get to him they'll be stale... and crushed... and all the frosting peeled off by 1. whatever wrapping you've used or 2. the roof of the box it keeps banging against during shipping. In the latter case it'll also contain new flecks of cardboard once they arrive.

But I'm sure he'll be thrilled!

Heh.
No, no! This is the age of internet. You go online and find a bakery in his area that delivers and order them online. Freshly made the day delivered. Of course, he may have a snack attack and eat them all in one sitting and be sick, thus spending less time on fixing bugs or quests, or choose beta testers. That's a no, no.

*prays god of DM's that BW stays well* :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

Hmm...I hope things time out decently. Assuming the dates all hold roughly as I imagine, and IF(probably one of the longest shots around here as, despite being able to tell there was quality within Book 1...I just somehow didn't feel it past the demo despite many attempts) I actually got selected, it seems it might run into the middle-tail end of the beta for Din's Curse.

Perhaps there'll be an interloper designation for one like me in the runnings that will only proofread the texts and such moreso than direct gameplay wranglings. :lol:
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
pal.illes
Initiate

Post by pal.illes »

Where can one apply? I would be glad to test the Linux beta version when there's need for that.
Thanks BasiliskGames for providing linux client.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

pal.illes wrote:Where can one apply? I would be glad to test the Linux beta version when there's need for that.
It will be announced sometime next month by BW for the PC version, then Mac and presumably after that Linux. He'll ask for info about your computer you'll play it on and a few other factoids. Pick and chose among the applicants and let you know.

It's getting hazardous to walk around my house there are so many pacing back and forth holes in the floor... :lol: ..waiting for Book II.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
joebobmcgee
Pledge

Post by joebobmcgee »

Us Linux users always have to be so patient. It's no wonder we're a grumpy lot. Hell I'd be willing to test it under Wine. ;)

- Daniel Epp
ty5479
Initiate

Post by ty5479 »

joebobmcgee wrote:Us Linux users always have to be so patient. It's no wonder we're a grumpy lot. Hell I'd be willing to test it under Wine. ;)

- Daniel Epp

Yeah I know how you feel. Games are the only reason I still have windows. Thank god for Dual Booting. At least developers are starting to develop games for Linux.
pal.illes
Initiate

Post by pal.illes »

joebobmcgee wrote:Us Linux users always have to be so patient. It's no wonder we're a grumpy lot. Hell I'd be willing to test it under Wine. ;)

- Daniel Epp
Well, at least there will be a Linux version. That's something rare. :) Hopefully this may change if even more Linux users will be around.
Thanks BasiliskGames for providing linux client.
mkreku
Apprentice

Post by mkreku »

Only ten testers for the Windows beta? Holy crap, it's going to be war :P
function.require
Apprentice

Post by function.require »

I think i'll leave the beta testing to others and eagerly await the linux version :|

Beta testing isn't all fun and games. I think it would be most appropriate for people thinking about developing their own games as you'll get to see a smidgen of the tediousness that is involved.

JMO
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

function.require wrote:Beta testing isn't all fun and games. I think it would be most appropriate for people thinking about developing their own games as you'll get to see a smidgen of the tediousness that is involved.
That is certainly one point of view. But beta testing is also a way to be indirectly involved with the creation of a game. Since part of beta testing is to balance things out, you might find that your opinion or insight has a direct affect on the final outcome of the development process. Plus, I'm of the opinion that finding the bugs is a lot less tedious than fixing them... since the number of people looking for bugs is usually a lot greater than the number of people resonsible for patching them up.

Some people like the extra perks involved with testing... getting access to a game before the general public, and some developers will reward testers with free copies of the game, or some other shwag.

There is a certain satisfaction in being a tester. As much as I'd love to develop my own game, I know that it will likely never happen. I took a class in programming while in college, and it taught me that I'll never be a programmer. I just have too short an attention span to deal with the amount of logical thought required. At least by testing a game I know that I'm helping a developer improve his own skills, by finding ways to break things that he/she might never have considered.

Also, I once worked for a company testing their products, both hardware and software. I have to say that testing games is far more enjoyable than music-on-hold hardware/software. Admittedly, testing MOH products was easier; there's only so many ways to play/load music... :mrgreen:

But feel free to not apply; it'll help increase the odds for the rest of us. :wink: