Have Any of the Comabt 'Feats' Been Changed?...

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Have Any of the Comabt 'Feats' Been Changed?...

Post by IJBall »

When originally reported by BW, the following combat 'Feats' were listed:
  • Swords: "Masterful Riposte"
  • Cleaving: "Great Cleave"
  • Bludgeoning: "Devastating Blow"
  • Piercing: "Double Strike"
  • Bows: "Intense Focus"
  • Thrown: "Overwhelming Volley"
  • Unarmed Combat: "Fury Strike"
But I noticed something curious when looking at the Book II trailer again - the only combat 'Feat' "status buttons" shown in the trailer were "Riposte" and "Double" (presumably short for "Double Strike").

The thing is the "Double" 'Feat' status button was shown for characters using both Bows and Staffs(Bludgeoning) - in fact, one of the Staff-wielding character was shown utilizing a "Double Strike" 'Feat'.

So, have the various 'Feats' been changed since originally reported?
Or is it that the footage in the trailer is older, and not up-to-date with the new conception of combat 'Feats'?

(Ah, what you stumble upon when you're bored, and just trying to kill some time... :mrgreen: )
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Have Any of the Comabt 'Feats' Been Changed?...

Post by Evnissyen »

Apologies if I drive the car a little off the road, here, but I like the scenery... and IJ's post gave me a thought... .

In Book III, can we maybe get an "RPG first", in this instance being: double-and-a-half-wielding . . . in other words: being able to fire a bow and strike with a melee weapon at the same time?

Now, if we're looking for feats: there's a feat, if I do say so myself.

Okay, so that suggestion's not really serious... or, well, not all that serious, since it would be a cool thing to see, if BW can figure out the dynamics... but here's a more serious thought: One of these days we should all maybe come up with a list of "RPG Firsts" - things that haven't yet been done and probably should - that Book III can take advantage of? I suppose preferably after Book II is released and after most of us have finished playing it.

That means I'll have to remember this . . . or somebody sometime in the future will have to suddenly remember and remind me . . . unless this is just another example in the long-and-growing list of Evy's Dumb Ideas.

Well, anyhow... back to IJ's question. Chant is it's an good one, at least I say so.

I myself want to know if Double-Strike has in fact crossed state lines.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

If you were sufficiently trained in unarmed combat, I could see a feat of firing a bow and kicking a nearby opponent in the same round, but not wielding a second weapon requiring your hands. That would make training up unarmed combat useful even for fighters who prefer using a weapon, the ability to get a separate and additional "unarmed" attack in the same round.

For Book III, of course, since we don't want to make any more changes to Book II than the beta testers find. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The icon window shows all possible feats available at a given time. Since BW mentioned that there is a time limit between using a feat, he suggested getting multiple weapon abilities so you could have multiple feats to choose from in a combat.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:The icon window shows all possible feats available at a given time. Since BW mentioned that there is a time limit between using a feat, he suggested getting multiple weapon abilities so you could have multiple feats to choose from in a combat.
If you're saying what I think you're saying - that 'feats' are now transferable among melee disciplines - I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm not sure I see how getting to Level 10 in Piercing Weapons and getting "Double Strike" should allow me to then do a "Double Strike" in Bludgeoning (even if my character is Level 10+ in Bludgeoning as well).

If this is the current implementation of 'feats', I think it may make melee fighters too powerful...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Speaking of bludgeoning... would it be possible to use a bow as a bludgeon, at the same time or just after you've fired an arrow, thereby making a "double strike"?

...Or if said bow is equipped with long spikes: can you then use it as a piercing weapon immediately following an arrow you've just sent off?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Evnissyen wrote:Speaking of bludgeoning... would it be possible to use a bow as a bludgeon, at the same time or just after you've fired an arrow, thereby making a "double strike"?

...Or if said bow is equipped with long spikes: can you then use it as a piercing weapon immediately following an arrow you've just sent off?
Given the necessarily flexible nature of bows, they make lousy bludgeons. Now, if BW adds a nice garrotte category in Book III, it might be possible to use your bow that way as a secondary skill, but you'd probably need a new bow after. ;)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

IJBall wrote:
Randomizer wrote:The icon window shows all possible feats available at a given time. Since BW mentioned that there is a time limit between using a feat, he suggested getting multiple weapon abilities so you could have multiple feats to choose from in a combat.
If you're saying what I think you're saying - that 'feats' are now transferable among melee disciplines - I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm not sure I see how getting to Level 10 in Piercing Weapons and getting "Double Strike" should allow me to then do a "Double Strike" in Bludgeoning (even if my character is Level 10+ in Bludgeoning as well).

If this is the current implementation of 'feats', I think it may make melee fighters too powerful...
What I meant was that you get level 10 in several weapons and then rotate weapons to take advantage of each feat. Not getting to transfer feats between weapons, although that would be more fun.