I played the demo for 1,5 hours.....
Well, I'm really REALLY disapponted.
The environments are empty and repetitive, monsters act like stupid robots, quests are all the same (go, kill the monster, take the item / go, kill this number of monsters, come back).
My impression was this is a MMORPG playable also in solo mode.
I found no atmosphere, no story, no sense of terror or other.
Alla the yhing resolves in killing and looting... without any other bonuses.
Diablo was far better, Sacred was far better...... sig.
And there are a lot of bugs....... The engine seems not well optimized, with gfx running slower or faster with no reaseon (I play the game all maxed out). There's no music (but perhaps this is a demo feature). I noted some pieces of the inventory interface stay on screen also when you close the inventory interface.
When leavin an area, the loading screen seems to freeze or stutters and I can hear my audio device changing from stereo to 5.1 like if it would be trying to resetting the audio.
The character locks on some moves or starts to slash his sword without stopping unless you exit and re-enter the game.
Teleportation device doesn't work..... if you use it you can go back to the base station but it's impossible to use the coonsole at the base station to go back to the place you were teleported from.
The skill system is terrible. I find the use of shift key often not so easy to use.
This game is still in terrible shape if we consider it should be released in 10 days.
Sorry but I wont buy it.
Really a DELUSION.
HGL isn't as bad as some might lead you to believe. I normally hate shooters, but I found this one compelling enough to finish.
You're right, the demo sucked. Well, its not so much that the full game is any different, its that the first 2 hours of HGL is boring as hell. You don't have enough time to figure out the system. You don't have enough time for the character progression and loot system to hook you.
I'll give you a list of reasons and facts about HGL that are often not considered.
1. The game has 5 acts. Each new act adds 2-3 new level tilesets. In the beginning, there are only about 3 tilesets. That can make the game seem a big more boring than it is later on.
2. The first 10 levels of any class are boring. You don't have enough skills to play the class as it was designed to be played. Most classes get their strongest tier of skills at level 10.
3. The game was released too early. Its a buggy mess. As of today patch 0.5 is being released. That should address most of the problems people are having. Bugs are bad sure enough, but at least they can be fixed and usually are fixed. The core game is still fun as hell.
4. A lot of people don't understand how the different systems in this game work. The skill system is not terrible. The use of the shift key is perfect (as is the context ctrl key). The inventory and craft system are very well done (despite what some reviews may claim). For example, the OP didn't understand that there are three different types of portals, a party portal that opens straight to a party member, a one way portal to town, and a town portal with return (PRD).
5. The story is awful. Ignore it completely and just play the game. Character progression, loot, and "fun" core gameplay is what HGL is about. If you expect more than you will be disappointed. The biggest thing this game suffers from is people's expectations.