Grammatical errors and typos part 4

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Grammatical errors and typos part 4

Post by CrazyBernie »

Following proper American grammar rules, punctuation goes inside the quotation marks, unless it is a single letter or number being quoted (i.e. "X", or "9".). British grammar rules allow for punctuation outside the quotation marks. This split dates back to early typesetting on newspaper printing machines.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Accidentally posted this over in the main forum 'cause I didn't think to check the Win support forum for typo threads, but here 'tis for the record as well:

1) On a table in the Thieves' Arcadia (where you find some numbers), it says "You cannot dicipher what it says" - should be "decipher."

2) In Taulshorn level 3, you can get the "Advanced Key," but when you pick it up it says "A Advanced Key was placed..." Would be nice if that used "An" when the key name starts with a vowel. :)

Finally, at the Scholar's Inn in Kuudad, there's a bookshelf which thinks it's a sconce:
sgrex
Initiate

Post by sgrex »

There is a typo in the screen where you get your final score, for spoiler reasons I don't want to say more here, look at my post in the "Completion Scores" Thread in the other forum.
jakob1978
Initiate

Post by jakob1978 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but there's a spelling mistake when you right click on the torch to drop some. Disposed is spelt wrong the second time.

"Warning! Diposed torches will be gone forever!"
morgul
Initiate

Post by morgul »

Don't know if this has been posted already, but when you use the Reveal Map spell it says "You've have greatly enhanced Cartography skills for the next 60 rounds." which should be either just "you have" or "you've."
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Minor pesky grammatical point, but "anyways" is not actually a word. There is no s on the end. ;-) Keebo uses it when you talk to him about retrieving his sword from Berlinda. That's as far as I've played so far (I'm on the Mac version, but since the grammar threads have been here in the Windows support, I put it here). I have another pesky issue with the character editor that I'll put in the Mac forum, though it may be a cross platform thing.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
morgul
Initiate

Post by morgul »

After you complete Arachnophobia quest and talk to Mohal on Picaroon Island, he says "...I am very thankfull for this..."
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Zeblin's dialogue: my character says "So if I allow you live..." - missing word "to"

Raven's Gate guard dialogue "...the gaurd barks loudly." typo on "guard"; same as Port Kuudad guard
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

In Stockton library I found this sentence describing Saint Gilhelm a bit strange: 'His hair is but wisps of silver filaments.', but I prefer to pass that one on to native users of English.
This one's easier: '...a magnitude of wisdom few others posses.'; 's' missing.
Then this sentence I find a little strange again: 'You feel that even if you lied he would instantly know.'; grammar correct, but I would get rid of the word 'even' here.

Then, in the book 'The Lost Realms' there's this passage: '...hit his head, losing conciousness. When he comes to, he makes his way home.'; something missing there.

Then there's a sentence I wrote down, but I forgot to add where I found it: 'One boy's life is insignificant to the events that are effecting Mistfell.'; should be 'affecting'.
EDIT: This was in the conversation with the dying man in the forest.
Last edited by KillingMoon on May 27th, 2010, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Jedi_Learner, your attention to detail is admirable however I'd like to comment on the type of issues you are finding. I cannot speak for Basilisk Games, of course, but it is my opinion that issues like missing periods at the end of sentences and extra spaces are too minor to bother with. These tiny errors are expected in any great work and to weed each and every one of them out is beyond what we should be expecting because the amount of work involved to correct them is better spent in other areas. Let's not distract Baskilisk too much from more important areas. Of course, you'd like to see the game perfect, as would I, but I feel that what you are asking is unreasonable. Just my two cents worth - I hope we can still be friends. :)
Last edited by Buckets on June 4th, 2010, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Dialogue with Lord Brumbelton:
- "The air is crisp, the snow is bright." The comma should be a semi-colon.
- "...one soul in all off Eschalon..." should be "of"
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Buckets wrote:Dialogue with Lord Brumbelton:
- "The air is crisp, the snow is bright." The comma should be a semi-colon.
- "...one soul in all off Eschalon..." should be "of"
In beta testing we noticed some of the semi-colons/colons had their 'tails' cut off so it looked odd. Are you sure about the semi-colon bit? But, heck, last time I had to figure out grammar was 10's of years ago. ;)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Hammerlorne entrance message: "...and carries with it an oddly pleasant of bread and..." -I suppose the word "odour" is missing (or odor if that's how you spell it in the US)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Cypress wrote:Image

Should be "an Outlander"
I'm pretty sure this isn't the only example of this - when I was fighting a group of these guys, I'm pretty sure it said something like:
A Outlander has spotted you!
Again, should be "An Outlander has spotted you!"

Probably all instances with "Outlander" should be checked for the proper "an" article...
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Version 1.03:
  • Dialogue with Xed after you mention Werewolves: "What I speak of is a Lycanthrope. Born of dark magick, a powerful mage may fuse himself with any creature he wishes, to take on their form and power at will. In this particular case, the mage who dwells in Everdale has fused himself with a Dire Wolf. He has been cast out of mage guild at Lorewitch Citadel because of his wreckless behavior. He is a dangerous beast and cannot be allowed to continue to live.
There's also a misspelling of the word "reckless" in this paragraph.

And actually Jedi_Learner, yes, I think pointing out extra spacing is a bit frivolous. :wink: