Steam?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Axiom
Initiate

Steam?

Post by Axiom »

Will there be a Steam version?

I played them demo and loved it. I was going to wait till the Steam version comes out.. but if it doesnt I might just buy the game normally.

c'mooooooon STEAM!!! :mrgreen:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Steam?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Axiom wrote:Will there be a Steam version?

I played them demo and loved it. I was going to wait till the Steam version comes out.. but if it doesnt I might just buy the game normally.

c'mooooooon STEAM!!! :mrgreen:
You need to find an email address for Steam (Valve) and requst that they put Book II online. I have spoken with them and they agreed to put Book II up, but I don't know why they haven't yet.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Will do babaloo!

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Okay fun friends!

Well, anyone on Steam that is!

Here is a link, make your selves heard for getting Esch 2 on Steam!!!

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... st15362693
Slammer64
Apprentice

Post by Slammer64 »

It's been on Impulse awhile now in case anyone is interested.
Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Impulse?? Link Please?
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

Axiom wrote:Impulse?? Link Please?
Try Here.
huhlig
Initiate

Post by huhlig »

I just talked with Steam Support... They have no answer

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Steam Support.
Unfortunately we do not have any information on upcoming sales.
For information on current sales and promotions please refer to the Steam Storefront or Steam News.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Thanks! I never heard of impulse before :)
Slammer64
Apprentice

Post by Slammer64 »

No worries Axiom, Impulse is mostly for strategy games, I got it to be able to play Sins of a Solar Empire, having Eschalon is a very welcome added bonus.
Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!
Oshkell
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Oshkell »

I'm not sure how Steam achievements get implemented, but would there be any chance of such achievements echoing the ingame challenges?

I know. I'm a nerd. I'm also an achievement 'ho.
I listen,
I laugh,
I think for a while
As I sit in the dark
And smile.
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

I see that Slammer! Man they have some great Strategy games... I guess I know where I am going after I finish Esch 2! Thanks again for the link!
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

There's one thing that really puzzles me here.

Eschalon is available as a DRM-free download from Basilisk. You don't have to worry about online activation (which could mean losing your purchase if the company decides to force an upgrade, charge extra fees or goes bust), you don't have a serial number linked to hardware (stopping you from installing on a new PC without contacting the author) and you don't have to use third party software to install it (avoiding future compatibility problems when that installer drops support for older software or OSes).

Yet if you go for Steam you do have online activation and the installer. You also have Steam's terms and conditions which include:
Valve reserves the right to change our fees or billing methods at any time...

Comment: If Valve decide to charge a regular subscription fee (the only reason for such a clause when you're already paying in advance) then you face losing access to all your Steam purchases if you don't agree to pay.
User Generated Information may include, but is not limited to, chat, forum posts, screen names, game selections, player performances, usage data, suggestions about Valve products or services, and error notifications....you expressly grant Valve the complete and irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and perform the User Generated Information and derivative works thereof in any form, anywhere, with or without attribution to you, and without any notice or compensation to you of any kind.

Comment: Anything you do or say on Steam or with a Steam product becomes Valve's property.
VALVE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS (I) ANY WARRANTY FOR STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, AND THE MERCHANDISE, AND (II) ANY COMMON LAW DUTIES WITH REGARD TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, AND THE MERCHANDISE, INCLUDING DUTIES OF LACK OF NEGLIGENCE AND LACK OF WORKMANLIKE EFFORT...

Comment: Any bugs in Steam that affect your game or your PC aren't Valve's responsibility, honest...
VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE STEAM SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

Comment: Worse, if Valve were to be hacked and Steam used to spread malware, then Valve will try to duck any responsibility for it.
Now why on earth would anyone accept these sort of terms at all, let alone when a better alternative is available?
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

Many people like the convenience of Steam, where they have a central repository for their games. This means they can install on a new computer without any issues other than installing the Steam client and DLing and installing the game.

Steam users may also not be aware of an independent like this, and Steam is very likely the only way many of them would even find out about the game.

I personally don't like Steam (not a Steam basher, but it offers nothing for me that I want), and prefer going directly to the source for my games whenever possible.
AstralWanderer
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by AstralWanderer »

Gorgon Rider wrote:Many people like the convenience of Steam, where they have a central repository for their games. This means they can install on a new computer without any issues other than installing the Steam client and DLing and installing the game.
But they can get the same convenience by keeping backups of DRM-free downloads on a removable disk - with the bonus of a faster install (no waiting for slow downloads) and the option of using systems with limited or no Internet access (e.g. netbooks outside of Wi-Fi/3G coverage).