Avadon: The Black Fortress

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Avadon: The Black Fortress

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Avadon: The Black Fortress

Post by CrazyBernie »

Hmmm... decent portraits, and if the whole game keeps up that graphical style, I might actually be interested. :mrgreen:

The real question is.... do they walk?? ^_^
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Looks better than some of their older titles, by a fair bit. That skills tree looks interesting, as does the interface. Wonder how much is going to have changed come "early 2011" though.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

CrazyBernie wrote:The real question is.... do they walk?? ^_^
It's a Spiderweb game, of course they don't walk. :) They teleport short distances of a step at a time.

Actually I haven't seen the real game so I don't know, but graphics are usually fairly static except for spell effects and combat actions.
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

I don't care if they have walk animations and what not, I just hope they have them scroll by the tiles smoothly. And the camera scrolling to be smooth as well. It just feels so wrong for me otherwise... Well, actually, single-screen stuff like Desktop Dungeons and the allegro-made HeroQuest are ok without smooth scrolling of the sprites as well, but that's like the complete opposite, back to basics representation. Battle for Wesnoth doesn't have animations for the units and stuff but it all moves nice and smooth. And yes, I know, different genre, but still fully turn based etc which is why I brought it up as I can't compare to Eschalon since it does have animations. Nice interface and portraits though :)
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

why didn't they just call it avalon and get it over with :?
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

well the game does look good graphics are nice (i see new avater pics)
which is new!!!
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

...Sigh...

It's Avernum 7, oh well. There go my hopes.

And he's still using that same old crappy map from A6 and G5. :(

Well, I'll play it anyhow; I'll probably buy it . . . maybe . . . if the writing is interesting enough.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Riggon
Apprentice

Post by Riggon »

It looks more like the Geneforge setting than Avernum to me, which only gives me hope that Jeff puts the Geneforge movement system in... not that Avernum was necessarily bad exactly, but... you know... Geneforge seemed more realistic and more graphically enhanced because of the walking animations. Plus Geneforge has animations for 8 directions, whereas Avernum only has animations for 4.

Here's hoping it turns out as nice as it looks, although I really don't think much of the rather stereotypical name. :( At any rate, it'll give me something to do when I finish Book II for the eightieth time and want to try something new. 8)
Nothing is something, because it is the state of the absence of everything, as well as being a word in the english language and an idea formulated by mankind to attempt to describe the conception of the lack of everything.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Evnissyen wrote:...Sigh...

It's Avernum 7, oh well. There go my hopes.
Hard to say from just what's up at that page right now...

On my end, what I'm looking for in his follow-up is overland, above-ground terrain - if he's got that, I look forward to the new game (even though this one looks to be party-based again... :roll: ).

But if it's another subterranean deal, I may pass.
Riggon
Apprentice

Post by Riggon »

http://gamebanshee.com/interviews/97737 ... ml?start=1

According to that interview, the game will have a three-member party, and will be based more on the Geneforge engine than the Avernum one.
Nothing is something, because it is the state of the absence of everything, as well as being a word in the english language and an idea formulated by mankind to attempt to describe the conception of the lack of everything.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Just saw Jeff's Blog http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/ today (Thursday June 2nd) and it explains where he got the inspiration and idea for the new game. Very interesting! Opera of all things! :lol: Check it out, the blog that is. :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Riggon
Apprentice

Post by Riggon »

There are some things that throw me... I mean, "Keeper Redbeard?" Gee, I wonder where he got that name from?

But other than some of the names, this sounds like it's going to be a cool game. And visually I think it will be the best game Spiderweb has ever produced... if one can judge anything from the screenshots. :P
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Got my Spiderweb newsletter yesterday, this was part of it. I'll have to remember to check it out monthly.
* First Avadon Developer Journal

We hope to write monthly developer journals in the time between now and
the game's release. The first is now available in the Spiderweb
Software forums.

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ub ... Post206242
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
carrotghoul
Initiate

Post by carrotghoul »

Geneforge5 is one of my favourite,it's really cool to creat a bunch of monsters fighting for you,though I'm not quite into avernum6.I have confidence in Jeff's creativity ,he's a great story-teller ,and the screenshots seem interesting.So I'm looking forward to Avadon.