I love the game, but...

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Warmskin
Apprentice

I love the game, but...

Post by Warmskin »

I don't like the fact that if you pick a lot of spells to use at the beginning of the game it seems that when you are nearing the end you can't use some of the most effective spells. There is a limit (I guess) on how many you can have. I'm at Intell 25 and there are still elemental spells unavailable to me. I bought them but it tells me I can't use them until a higher level. Can I use more at Intell 30? My elemental ability allows me to use level 6 spells so I don't think that is the problem. Is it worth my while to push it to Intell 30? If not, this prohibits me from using some of the better (and most interesting) spells of the game. If this is the case, then, to me this is a real drawback. I don't want to play the entire game again just to choose less spells at the beginning so I can us the others near the end. No other game I know of does this. If I am wrong about all this then I apologize for even bringing it up, but I didn't see any mention of this in the manual.
Also, one little nit to pick: I should be able to use the scroll (middle mouse) button on *all* the menus. When picking a potion to mix, I always have to click on the arrow to get to the potion lower down on the list. This is a minor inconvenience, but it s/b easy to fix in a patch.
My first complaint above is much more troubling...
Other than these few complaints, *** I absolutely LOVE this game. ***, so please don't slam me. :wink:
Thanks.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: I love the game, but...

Post by SpottedShroom »

You need 25 to your spellcasting stat to learn the most powerful spells, but the same stat also determines how many spells you can learn in total. I don't know what value you'd need to learn all of the spells in the game, but I'm pretty sure you can use 30.

You should also consider Int boosting items, if you don't already have them. You can put one on, learn the spell, and then take it off again. You only need the stat boost to learn the spell, not to cast it.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

An Intelligence of 42 is required to learn every single Elemental spell in the game. As SpottedShroom mentioned, having some rings/amulets to provide some INT buffs is certainly a good idea. (On my first playthrough, my mage had an effective INT of 41 (with my Philosopher's Pendant) but I never actually ran up against the limit because I never came across Predator Sight or Enkindled Weapon.)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Warmskin wrote:I don't like the fact that if you pick a lot of spells to use at the beginning of the game it seems that when you are nearing the end you can't use some of the most effective spells. There is a limit (I guess) on how many you can have. I'm at Intell 25 and there are still elemental spells unavailable to me. I bought them but it tells me I can't use them until a higher level. Can I use more at Intell 30? My elemental ability allows me to use level 6 spells so I don't think that is the problem. Is it worth my while to push it to Intell 30? If not, this prohibits me from using some of the better (and most interesting) spells of the game. If this is the case, then, to me this is a real drawback. I don't want to play the entire game again just to choose less spells at the beginning so I can us the others near the end. No other game I know of does this. If I am wrong about all this then I apologize for even bringing it up, but I didn't see any mention of this in the manual.
Also, one little nit to pick: I should be able to use the scroll (middle mouse) button on *all* the menus. When picking a potion to mix, I always have to click on the arrow to get to the potion lower down on the list. This is a minor inconvenience, but it s/b easy to fix in a patch.
My first complaint above is much more troubling...
Other than these few complaints, *** I absolutely LOVE this game. ***, so please don't slam me. :wink:
Thanks.
It should be made clear in the manual and on the character creation/stat information screen that you can learn a number of Elemental spells equal to half your Intelligence and a number of Divination spells equal to half your Wisdom. You can use pendants, rings, and hats to temporarily increase your intelligence or wisdom to learn additional spells, if you're not already constantly wearing those items. This becomes a surprise limitation on spell casters when you get far enough into the game to be learning the higher tier spells. It should not be a surprise. For mages, that would be my only niggle in this game. They're REALLY powerful in Book II, especially if you use the character creation techniques learned from Book I for building a better magic user.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Warmskin
Apprentice

Post by Warmskin »

Well, thanks a lot to all who replied. That clears things up and I'm a much happier gamer now. :D I *did* read the manual, I must have just missed where it mentions the bit about getting to use half the number of spells as your Intell or Wisdom (yes, I do know about putting items on temporarily to increase stats). I just looked again in the manual for this info, but again I couldn't find it (maybe too much game and not enough sleep). :wink: Anyway, if one of you knows off hand which page it's on, let me know. If it's a hassle, it doesn't matter, anyway. *Thanks big time, though...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Warmskin wrote:Well, thanks a lot to all who replied. That clears things up and I'm a much happier gamer now. :D I *did* read the manual, I must have just missed where it mentions the bit about getting to use half the number of spells as your Intell or Wisdom (yes, I do know about putting items on temporarily to increase stats). I just looked again in the manual for this info, but again I couldn't find it (maybe too much game and not enough sleep). :wink: Anyway, if one of you knows off hand which page it's on, let me know. If it's a hassle, it doesn't matter, anyway. *Thanks big time, though...
It's not in the manual. I was agreeing that BW should put this info in the manual and the stat descriptions. ;) Keep having fun.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Warmskin wrote:...I *did* read the manual, I must have just missed where it mentions the bit about getting to use half the number of spells as your Intell or Wisdom (yes, I do know about putting items on temporarily to increase stats). I just looked again in the manual for this info, but again I couldn't find it (maybe too much game and not enough sleep). :wink: Anyway, if one of you knows off hand which page it's on, let me know. If it's a hassle, it doesn't matter, anyway. *Thanks big time, though...
It's not in the manual. I was agreeing that BW should put this info in the manual and the stat descriptions.
You're right - this info's not in the Manual.

I'll add a note about this to my Player's Manual typos thread.