Suggestions for improvements

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Amasius
Apprentice

Suggestions for improvements

Post by Amasius »

Everything can be improved so how about a thread with suggestions for Book II/III or, if they can be easily implemented, for a patch?

So far I have only one: The interface is excellent but it would be very nice to open/close the windows for Inventory, Stats and Paperdoll at once with one keystroke.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I = Inventory
S = Stats
E = Equip Window

F3 for keyboard shortcuts! :wink:

And there is a Book II forum already. Please feel free to add suggestions there for the next game.
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

Hm, it seems that I expressed myself unclear. I'd like to open/close all three windows at the same time with only one key. Sure, it's only a bagatelle, but hey - I'm lazy. :wink:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh, okay! I could add that to the 1.01 patch. What key would everyone like this feature to be bound too (sorry I can't make key reconfiguring part of this game).
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Hmmm maybe the "space"-key
"FUL IR"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Space is reserved for allowing one round to pass.

I would suggest maybe "X". Don't know why, other than X is the coolest letter of them all.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

X is cool. 8)
"FUL IR"
adamantyr
Apprentice

In-game use

Post by adamantyr »

More hot tips in-game on keys to access things or use skills may be a good idea for usability. Tip windows that can be disabled like Avernum does would be an excellent way to do it.

Yes yes, I know, that's what the manual is for, but let's not retreat ALL the way back to the Ultima days... "What key moves up? Return? WTF? Crap, monster coming... HOW DO I MOVE LEFT?! ARGH!"

Adamantyr
Ricochet64
Initiate

Post by Ricochet64 »

Playing a Ranger would like to see the ability to recover some arrows ,firing 30 arrows at a couple mobs and none are recoverable is a lil expensive, especially early on.. Also skill books should be consumeable..
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

Personally I think that using Enter to quick swap weapons isn't quite optimal. When I play I keep one hand on the mouse and one on the left side of the keyboard, and to hit Enter I have to move the hand to the other side of the keyboard. It would be better if the key were somewhere on the right side of the keyboard, where all the other keys are (except I and M, but they're not that far away).

Even better would be if you could define the keys yourself, maybe in the config-file. A pretty minor change, but one I think many would appreciate.

Also, is it possible to see how many turns are left on a lit torch? Otherwise that would also be nice, though not necessary.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Get some infos when leftklicking on the stats or hoover over them would be nice. :roll:

For the arrow-recovering.... i have no problems. Gives a realistic touch.
As a Ranger you should not only use the bow but use althoug a sword or shortsword.
"FUL IR"
dagorkan
Initiate

Post by dagorkan »

Make some interesting quests.

Add dialog.

Sorry, but I'm five hours into the game and I'm a little disappointed.
Amasius
Apprentice

Post by Amasius »

What, dagorkan - you don't like quests like this:
It's tradition! :wink:

- It would be nice to use the numpad for movement and
- I'd like to be able to swap places with NPCs. I'm trapped here:
Ok, after a while they go away but remember - I'm lazy. :)
SuicideBunny
Initiate

Post by SuicideBunny »

better formulas or skill system... being able to buy stuff for negative amounts is just ridiculous. some conversation skills or a reputation system would be nice. so far the game's just a hack n slash with less action and more conversations, which isn't a good thing.
on the technical side, mappable controls and a bigger resolution would be nice.
dagorkan wrote:Make some interesting quests.

Add dialog.

Sorry, but I'm five hours into the game and I'm a little disappointed.
seconded
I have rules. I never eat children.
citizendragon
Apprentice

Post by citizendragon »

Leveling up and using skill points.

I'm glad to see we can save skill points at level up for later use. I just wish I could use those skill points whenever I want, rather than having to wait til next level up.

Maybe this was play tested already and kept in place for game balance...dunno. I certainly enjoyed being able to spend points in Arcanum whenever I wanted.

Great game!