Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This thread is an ongoing list of bugs still needing to be fixed or feature requests to be added to the upcoming version 1.05. If any previous bug mentioned did not get fixed in version 1.04, please re-list it here because it was probably overlooked. Grammar fixed for version 1.05 should be posted here.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by Farwalker »

Just a note of appreciation for the 1.04 changes - I'm looking forward to playing a bit with all the improvements!

On the ongoing noise / hidden stuff, you mentioned you added some noise to swapping equipment. Very nice idea, will be fun to test out how it works! Did you take the weight of the item into account? Seems to me switching out of heavy plate armor might be noisier than taking a ring off for example. If not then that's a suggestion for the future.

Thanks again!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

I had actually noticed this in 1.04 but forgot to report it then. Anyway, in the middle of Fellpine Forest, at (36, 136), there's one tile of seemingly-inappropriate grass. Possibly that could use a tweak for future versions.
Seemingly out-of-place tile in Fellpine Forest
Seemingly out-of-place tile in Fellpine Forest
esch-tile.png (79.37 KiB) Viewed 12144 times
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:I had actually noticed this in 1.04 but forgot to report it then. Anyway, in the middle of Fellpine Forest, at (36, 136), there's one tile of seemingly-inappropriate grass. Possibly that could use a tweak for future versions.
Ironically, I noticed that quite some time ago, and almost brought it up, but then decided it might be intentional... :wink:

Oh, but while I'm here - the Title "Shepherd" is still spelled wrong in v1.04. :roll:
Will need to be fixed for v1.05! :P
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

Dear god, people! If this is the worst you can find, then..! :shock:

Edit: This isn't really a bug, as such, but it's one of those instances where it's possible to do something dumb and break the game completely. Don't know if you want to do something about that or not. Not really a bug and not really likely to ever crop up.. again.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Rebelicious wrote:Dear god, people! If this is the worst you can find, then..! :shock:

Edit: This isn't really a bug, as such, but it's one of those instances where it's possible to do something dumb and break the game completely. Don't know if you want to do something about that or not. Not really a bug and not really likely to ever crop up.. again.
Actually, this is fixed in 1.04 final version. You can't hit the lever from within the gates anymore.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Rebelicious wrote:Dear god, people! If this is the worst you can find, then..! :shock:

Actually, this is fixed in 1.04 final version. You can't hit the lever from within the gates anymore.
Awesome! :)

Edit: I actually have a more serious request for something I just ran into. As a mage, both low-level mana potions and low-level health potions have quickly become useless to me. But I have over 15 bottles of the stuff. What I do need is empty vials.

Unfortunately, they are somewhat scarce. So I tried to quaff the old, inferior ones. It doesn't let me, since my HP/Mana is full. While maybe a marginally useful function to prevent accidental drinking, I naturally find this annoying. I can drink the mana ones simply by casting a spell, but as for health, I actually have to go into the field and purposely get hit and drink the low-grade health potions.

Minor annoyance.
obiwan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by obiwan »

Bugs:
- Picking up powder kegs with full inventory makes them disappear
- A good reevaluation of charm related issues. For example, why does charm-induced suicide break true healer? Is charm-suicide a bug anyway?
- linux binaries are still not LSB compliant (requires too new glibc)
- fix item stacking (there are still many cases in which items do not auto-stack)
- is thrown weapon to-hit correctly calculated? I never miss with demon-oil (no skill), while in book I, I would sometimes set the whole map on fire.

Request:
- shooting arrows (imbued ones if you insist) extinguishes torches.
- better damage reduction (i.e. make heavy armor more useful)
- enormous penalty for casting in heavy armor.
- allow quaffing mana potions and such if full mana

That's all for now :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

obiwan wrote:Bugs:
- A good reevaluation of charm related issues. For example, why does charm-induced suicide break true healer? Is charm-suicide a bug anyway?
- fix item stacking (there are still many cases in which items do not auto-stack)
Seconded (esp. the latter).
obiwan wrote:Request:
- better damage reduction (i.e. make heavy armor more useful)
- enormous penalty for casting in heavy armor.
I doubt you're going to see these before Book III.

But, especially re: Armor Skills, we need to have a discussion of how that needs to be reworked going into Book III, because Armor is definitely somewhat deficient as currently implemented...
obiwan wrote: - allow quaffing mana potions and such if full mana
That, OTOH, shouldn't be that hard to allow! ;)

Though I think the better solution is just to 'up' the number of Empty Flasks available for sale, as some of us have already requested - hopefully, that'll happen in v1.05. :)
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

obiwan wrote:Picking up powder kegs with full inventory makes them disappear.
Yes, and it's easy to miss the fact that your inventory is full.

Not something that bothers me all that much, but prices of weapons is still strange sometimes. I picked this machete up from a chest:
I think I just looked at the picture and the price at first and thought it wasn't much. Only when I stood at the blacksmith to sell it I noticed how good it actually was; Mithril with a base damage of 6!
But that pricetag is ridiculously low then. I'm not gonna sell it now, I'm gonna use it.
Sorry, this is version 1.03, as I went back to that version when I noticed Cat's Eyes wasn't working in a newer version - I should probably go back again now.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

From "my own" list of "known" Book II 'bugs', the following two still persist in v1.04 FINAL:
  • Hunter combat sounds - male instead of female! (nr. 2 thread)
  • Combat Sound FX 'glitch' (for one of your character's 'Hit!' sounds)
The good news about the 'Combat sound glitch' is that I think it is now quieter than it was in v1.03 - but I'm still convinced that one of the CombatHit[X] sound files is either corrupted, or is not playing properly on (at least some?) Macs.

The 'Hunter' combat sounds issue should be easier to fix - just change the default combat sound files for that NPC from the "male" ones to the "female" ones. ;)
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

obiwan wrote:[...]

Request:

[...]

That's all for now :)
I second this request. It'd be amazing to enchant arrows in bulk, even if they didn't add damage, but only effect.

Imbue Frost: Can extinguish torches.
Imbue Fire: "Lights up" enemies, as if they are carrying a torch.
Imbue Poison: Arrows cause AoE poison effect? Slow enemies down? No idea.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Not sure if this is Linux-specific or not - BW, did you want us to submit bugs in the Linux forum, or just in here, so you can have everything all in one place?

Anyway - I don't think I've seen this before now (though I didn't really play the 1.04betas much), but if I hold down Tab (which is sometimes rather helpful to figure out where enemies are, when they're scurrying around in the trees, etc), I now seem to have a ghostly figure in the square directly northeast of me:
Ghost!
Ghost!
eb2-ghost.png (41.13 KiB) Viewed 11994 times
It's always facing towards my character. The actual enemy highlighting seems to be working fine though.

As I said, this is on Linux, so it's OpenGL - using nVidia binary drivers 195.36.15.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Tab caused ghosts sometimes appear in Mac versions too. It seems to be in towns and usually is worse at night.
Mine appeared farther away from my character.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Okay, I never noticed if this existed pre 1.04, but I'm running through testing a naked mage and discovered that apparently the Ironpool Dam is covered. Weather effects are canceled when you're on top of the dam. I was running away and sniping with my fire darts and noticed that when I got on the dam, the weather effects vanished, although it was still raining. I tested it a few times, dragging victims on and off the dam.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.