Strange Trap in Eastwillow

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Rebelicious
Steward

Strange Trap in Eastwillow

Post by Rebelicious »

I ran into a very strange bug in Eastwillow a few minutes ago. With a Spot Hidden of 2, I found a trap on a wall, exiting Eleanise's shop.

Clicking the sign results in a crash.

Never seen that trap before, despite walking in and out of that shop a million times with at least two characters with higher Spot Hidden.

Edit: Well it's official. It's not an isolate incident. I've managed to break something.

Could be a result of savegame editing, although I don't see why, since I've only messed around with the regular stats and never seen anything like this. So likely not necessarily a genuine bug. But strange anyway.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Strange Trap in Eastwillow

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

What version are you playing with? Did this start after you upgraded?

How high is your "Spot Hidden" skill? Have you modified this character or the map in any way? Have you used a Hex editor on anything?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:What version are you playing with? Did this start after you upgraded?

How high is your "Spot Hidden" skill? Have you modified this character or the map in any way? Have you used a Hex editor on anything?
1.04. Didn't have issues before, but neither have I had any issues with my old character that is also playing in 1.04. Used a hex editor (CheatEngine) to allocate stat/skill points on character creation, which hasn't caused issues before. I've got 2 points in Spot Hidden.

I realize that my usage of a hex editor have contaminated the validity of this "bug". At first I thought it was a bug but after running into all the other "traps" I think it's fairly clear that I've managed to break something somewhere.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Rebelicious wrote:At first I thought it was a bug but after running into all the other "traps" I think it's fairly clear that I've managed to break something somewhere.
Yes, I think something must have happened to just your game, otherwise more reports would have been submitted by now.
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

KillingMoon wrote:
Rebelicious wrote:At first I thought it was a bug but after running into all the other "traps" I think it's fairly clear that I've managed to break something somewhere.
Yes, I think something must have happened to just your game, otherwise more reports would have been submitted by now.
I just don't see how. I've done the same thing on two previous characters and didn't mess around with anything.. you know.. "fragile".

I simply started a new character (Bob Murderdeath, the Thessian Assassin), changed it -after- character creation (instead of during), and the issues hasn't cropped up again.

I may try to replicate it in the future just to find out exactly what was broken, but for now, ignore this thread.