Steam?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Steam?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

mechkobe wrote:Simple question.

If i get Eschalon 2 from Steam, will it update automatically or will I have to download and install the patches myself ??

Thank you for answering.

// Mechkobe
Good Question. I know Steam has version 1.03 right now, and they will have their version of 1.04 next week sometime. I don't know if it will automatically update, or if you will need to re-download it.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Everything on steam is automatically updated upon opening the steam client. You can disable this functionality but I don't know a real good reason why you would want to (I suppose modders or something not wanting an auto moving target).
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

macdude22 wrote:Everything on steam is automatically updated upon opening the steam client. You can disable this functionality but I don't know a real good reason why you would want to
Heh, ask the Dragon Age players. I'm sure there are a few that could give you some reasons (I'm looking at you, patch 1.03!)
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

macdude22 wrote:[...] You can disable this functionality but I don't know a real good reason why you would want to (I suppose modders or something not wanting an auto moving target).
Heh, you're kidding, right?

In your world, a patch never broke anything?
Jigsaw
Pledge

Post by Jigsaw »

Just picked up both games off steam...Being a old school RPG'er(think tunnels of doom,Telegard and Bards Tale)both these games are right up my alley and i seen it(Book 2) on steam and then seen Book 1.Right now I'm going thou the first book and enjoying it alot thanks and i guess a big thanks to steam i never heard of this game till i seen it on Steam.anyway thought i reg up here seeing i most likely be looking for help :) and tips.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Jigsaw wrote:Just picked up both games off steam...Being a old school RPG'er(think tunnels of doom,Telegard and Bards Tale)both these games are right up my alley and i seen it(Book 2) on steam and then seen Book 1.Right now I'm going thou the first book and enjoying it alot thanks and i guess a big thanks to steam i never heard of this game till i seen it on Steam.anyway thought i reg up here seeing i most likely be looking for help :) and tips.
Welcome, Jigsaw. Hopefully you'll love these games as much as the rest of us. You'll find a high degree of help to a low degree of flames on the boards here. Just try not to poke Jedi-Learner. He's been known to bite. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
DaveH
Initiate

Post by DaveH »

I've been buying my games almost exclusively from Steam, and there are usually the same warnings/restrictions:

1) The patches are not the same. The patch you download from Basilisk won't work on the Steam version. I've seen a few odd exceptions, but this is nearly always the case. Steam changes the executable just enough that the manual patch won't get a valid CRC check and doesn't think the game file is right.

2) As mentioned, Steam patches automatically. But they also tend to be behind. The Steam version of the patch *might* be available right away, but most often is a few weeks behind the manual one, if it shows up at all.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Rebelicious wrote:
macdude22 wrote:[...] You can disable this functionality but I don't know a real good reason why you would want to (I suppose modders or something not wanting an auto moving target).
Heh, you're kidding, right?

In your world, a patch never broke anything?
Meh, steam's patches are usually far enough behind they've worked out the kinks. Plus they need to be fully patched up to use Offline Mode (which I use enough).
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

One thing I am curious about with the steam download... is there anyway to access the manual? I am not sure I see a way to read it.

I am still curious how things like Repair work.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Axiom wrote:One thing I am curious about with the steam download... is there anyway to access the manual? I am not sure I see a way to read it.
The manual is a PDF inside the main Eschalon directory. I know it's there in the Steam version; somebody else mentioned finding it there. So just dig around your filesystem a bit.
I am still curious how things like Repair work.
Repair works while you're camping. If you have any Repair skill while camping, your gear will start getting repaired. I seem to think there's a specific order as to what gets repaired first, though I don't remember off the top of my head what that is. (Note that if you find/buy the Tinker's Gloves anywhere, you'll want to equip them before camping, so you can take advantage of them.)
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

Thanks... I finally did find it.. but yeah I had to dig for it :P

Ah, it's only while camping?? So resting at the bed in your house doesn't count?

Ah well, thanks much xolotl!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Axiom wrote:Ah, it's only while camping?? So resting at the bed in your house doesn't count?
Correct. You wouldn't want to ruin your nice linen sheets with sword grease, now would you? :)
Axiom
Initiate

Post by Axiom »

I could say something terrible but this is a family show...

*looks at the thread title*

BUY ESCHALON 2 on Steam EVERYONE!!!
danielekan
Pledge

Post by danielekan »

It looks like steam has still the 1.03 version.
Any news about the update?
hakbart
Apprentice

Post by hakbart »

same here! i stopped playing the game.waiting for the patch...