Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by Farwalker »

I just noticed that you can't enchant simple (non-armor) clothing for some reason. Could we have this ability added? Enchanting a bonus onto breeches, shirt/blouse, rope belt seems an obvious and reasonable tactic for those not wearing armor.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:I just noticed that you can't enchant simple (non-armor) clothing for some reason. Could we have this ability added? Enchanting a bonus onto breeches, shirt/blouse, rope belt seems an obvious and reasonable tactic for those not wearing armor.
I think that's because those things don't actually have an Armor Rating - it's, like, how can you increase the Armor Rating of something that's AR=0?!

But I don't have a strong preference on your idea one way or the other... ;)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Two issues, for the Thieves' Arcadia general area:
Pork K Sewers.jpg
Pork K Sewers.jpg (24.24 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
You can't enter the square grid in that corner. I think this one's been brought up before. But, unless I'm missing something, I don't currently see anything in that square that should prevent me from moving into it.

And, this is a minor "text report issue":
Arcadia Trap.jpg
Arcadia Trap.jpg (99.3 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
The order of the text is incorrect - you should get the report on the trap being sprung (and saved against), and then you should get the report about the chest being "Empty, yet trapped!..."!!

Also, the text in that is incorrect - it should either read:
"Empty, yet trapped! Just the kind of trick you'd expect in a thief's lair."
Or it should read something like:
"Empty, yet trapped! Just the kind of trick you'd expect in a lair of thieves."
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

And two more random bugs.

First, I manually removed my sword from being equipped in my hands and placed it... [edit: somewhere else... see here] (after hitting the 'X' key, which opens all 3 'player' windows'...). But then, after I went on my way, I noticed that my player avatar still looked like this, even though I was empty-handed!:
No sword.jpg
No sword.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
My avatar stayed like that until I spoke to the Exotics dealer - after finishing browsing his inventory, my avatar was then correctly displayed as being empty-handed.

And a bad "visual artifact" in Raven's Gate West:
Ravens Gate flaw.jpg
Ravens Gate flaw.jpg (86.54 KiB) Viewed 6931 times
I believe this visual artifact was also present in v1.03, but I can't remember for certain...
Last edited by IJBall on July 23rd, 2010, 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
michellembrodeur
Initiate

Post by michellembrodeur »

When making a char and you choose a weapon class, say swords, your starting equipment should at least have a short sword , if you start as a thief and choose swords then a short sword, a fighter or so forth.

With a magic user should get a mace or dagger

a ranger a bow with arrows.

My roommate is at her wits end when she picks a thief and swords she get a bow and no arrows and the town smith has no sword to buy.

The smith should always have arrows and a least one of each category of weapons to buy in case your weapon breaks so you can buy another one..

Also when your fighting and your weapon is about to break it is hard to look down at the screen and read it.

Have a pop up show up to tell you you have like 3 hits left or so.

Also every 8 days to get new stock is a bit long, you can run out of food before more arrows or what ever shows up.

Maybe allow rangers to make arrows.

Also wolfs should drop meat to eat not just rats.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

michellembrodeur wrote:When making a char and you choose a weapon class, say swords, your starting equipment should at least have a short sword , if you start as a thief and choose swords then a short sword, a fighter or so forth.
Just for your, and your roommates' reference, here's the list of Items that you start with, based on your Class-Axiom choices.

At the least, you should, in nearly all cases, start off with a weapon (or an offensive spell) that you are skilled in, so even if you choose some other Weapons Skill like Swords and can't find that weapon-type at first, you should still have some kind of offensive capability.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

michellembrodeur wrote: Also wolfs should drop meat to eat not just rats.
Good point.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:
CamRaiD wrote:I went to bed in my house, and it started raining while i was asleep and when i woke up, there was rain noise going on, but no rain was visible.
Something like this has happened to me while camping - did you happen to "wake yourself up" in the middle of the storm, and then go back to sleep again? Because I think this is what I did when that happened to me.
OK, this just happened to me with v1.04, while camping for 7 days at a time (trying to track down a Skill Book in a 'fixed seed' game... don't ask!).

Anyway, here's what happened:
  1. Storm (I think it was a thunderstorm) hit overnight.
  2. Storm cleared up right around daybreak (i.e. dawn) - but storm sounds persisted when "day" background sounds were supposed to "kick in"(?)...)
  3. Storm sounds persisted through the entire daylight hours.
  4. Storm sounds went away and were replaced by "night" sounds around start of night (i.e. dusk).
So all of this happened without me "breaking camp/having de-camped" at all.

So the issue may be related to when storm sounds are supposed to end coinciding with the end of "night" background sounds/the beginning of "day" background sounds...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:Just ran into this in the little house in the middle of Hellice Lake:
eb2-orakur_widget.jpg
eb2-orakur_widget.jpg (55.17 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
I could attach/send a savegame slot if it'd help.
I can confirm that Book II now does this (it happened to me, just like this).

I'm also almost completely certain that this did not happen before - in v1.03, this showed up as just the regular Orakur Book (icon)...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I just had a new one that cost me a whole bunch of money (the massive pile of armor and weapons was for selling). I was in Hammerlorne and camped to get a bag to store stuff in. Stored a bunch, went and got more stuff, went back to the spot where I had stored things and camped while standing directly on top of the first loot bag. When I woke up, the bag had vanished along with the half-ton of stuff I had in it.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:And a bad "visual artifact" in Raven's Gate West:
I believe this visual artifact was also present in v1.03, but I can't remember for certain...
Interesting! FWIW, it looks like this is probably present whenever there's a "black" area at the edge of the screen, though on these two I had to bump up the contrast after taking the screenshot to really see them:
Central Farrock Range, right next to the Monolith
Central Farrock Range, right next to the Monolith
eb2-central_farrock.png (13.92 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
NE corner of Eastern Fellpine Forest
NE corner of Eastern Fellpine Forest
eb2-eastern_fellpine.png (35.4 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
Edit: Oh, and since it's possible that it matters, I should mention that this is on Linux (so therefore using OpenGL), and the binary nVidia drivers.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I just had a new one that cost me a whole bunch of money (the massive pile of armor and weapons was for selling). I was in Hammerlorne and camped to get a bag to store stuff in. Stored a bunch, went and got more stuff, went back to the spot where I had stored things and camped while standing directly on top of the first loot bag. When I woke up, the bag had vanished along with the half-ton of stuff I had in it.
Yep, I reported this one a while back.
The sack may actually still be sitting there, and you're just not able to see it or interact with it. I did some tests where after this bug I found no other sack would drop on the same spot - it seems to be considered already occupied.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Regarding Thieves' Arcadia trap area where you can't get into the corner, the same thing happens for the northeast corner of that room going along the east wall.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:
  • And as was recently discussed (starting here, though it's been discussed before elsewhere...), there is no Key to the Security Door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne.

There may be a reason there's not (and, if there is, please tell us!! :) ), but if there isn't, it would be really cool if a Key to that door could be put on the person of one of the Dwarves on that Level (or even elsewhere! - say in Durnore!!)...)
OK, I think I maybe get what's going on now.

It turns out, there is a "special key" inside Hammerlorne.

I suspect this key is also supposed to open the door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne (currently, it opens an important door on the "ground" level of Hammerlorne) - but, for some reason, the "special key" doesn't open the door on Level 3, as of right now.

So, by far the easiest thing to do, is just to "fix" things so this "special" Hammerlorne key can open the door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne, as well as opening the door down on the "ground" level...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe in [url=http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4107]this Book II[/url] thread [url=http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33697#p33697]here[/url] wrote:This reminds me of something interesting. I have one character I was testing out who was a shield-carrying bare-handed fighter. With shields at 14 or so, he was often deflecting stuff, but I thought it was only ranged attacks the shield would deflect that way. He's deflecting everything. It's really quite nice, actually. ;-) (emphasis added)
OK, I can now confirm that this seems to be the case:

Level >10 Shields parries not just projectile attacks, but all attacks!

Now, I've decided that I consider this a feature, not a "bug". ;)

But, to my thinking, this is the way it should be - high enough skill in Shields should actually allow you to 'parry' any attack (quite aside from the equipping of any shield raising your Armor Rating...) just as if you were in 'Parry' Combat Mode.

So, my advice? - Just leave the current Shields game mechanics the way they are!

However, this leads to a few "hangover" issues:
  1. The accompanying narrative text will need to be reworked. Currently it says:
    "You have deflected the projectile with your shield!"
    That should be changed to:
    "You have deflected an attack with your shield!"
  2. The graphical representation of a Shield 'parry' seems to assume a projectile attack, but it's ambiguous enough that I would just leave it as it is.
  3. The descriptive text on Shields in both the Character Editor and page 12 of the Player's Manual will need to be revised again to reflect the fact that >10 Level Shields will parry any attacks (i.e. specific references to "projectiles" will need to be removed).
But, anyway, currently Level 10+ Shields deflects/parries a certain percentage of all incoming attacks, and I think that should just be left pretty much the way it is right now...
Last edited by IJBall on July 20th, 2010, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.