Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Fixes and Requests for 1.05

Post by IJBall »

This is not a "bug" issue, as much as it's a suggestion/opinion:

But I still feel that the Lore/INT system is somewhat 'off-kilter'.

It just seems wrong to me that my Fighter, with INT=20 and Lore at Level 3 (a not insignificant investment for a melee-using Fighter, esp. the INT investment) can still not ID something as simple as a Bronze Long Sword (edit: or Bronze or Iron Daggers either!).

Maybe the answer is what someone else (Kreador? Farwalker?...) suggested - that your Skills should factor into item ID'ing along with Lore & INT: so that a Fighter with, say, Swords at Level 5 or Swords at Level 10, could ID all available Swords, if nothing else.

Again, it's not that I have a problem with INT=20 and Lore at Level 6 not being able to ID, say, Auriflax - it's that not being able to ID still relatively prosaic weapons (or, at lower INT, food) even with moderate investments in INT and Lore that I have a problem with...
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote: Maybe the answer is what someone else (Kreador? Farwalker?...) suggested - that your Skills should factor into item ID'ing along with Lore & INT: so that a Fighter with, say, Swords at Level 5 or Swords at Level 10, could ID all available Swords, if nothing else.

Again, it's not that I have a problem with INT=20 and Lore at Level 6 not being able to ID, say, Auriflax - it's that not being able to ID still relatively prosaic weapons (or, at lower INT, food) even with moderate investments in INT and Lore that I have a problem with...
Wasn't me, but I think it's a great suggestion.

I think it's hilarious that I can forage and find unknown items... seems to me the whole point is I've learned enough to be able to recognize and harvest this stuff.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

IJBall wrote: But, anyway, currently Level 10+ Shields deflects/parries a certain percentage of all incoming attacks, and I think that should just be left pretty much the way it is right now...
So does this mean at Shields skill level 44+ you deflect all attacks?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Farwalker wrote:
IJBall wrote: But, anyway, currently Level 10+ Shields deflects/parries a certain percentage of all incoming attacks, and I think that should just be left pretty much the way it is right now...
So does this mean at Shields skill level 44+ you deflect all attacks?
I suppose theoretically, yes, it does (though I can't test that without a Book II character editor for the Mac... :( ).

However, if BW wants my suggestion, I'd 'cap' the 'parrying' ability of Shields at 50% of all attacks (which means the 'parry' capability of Shields would basically 'max' out at about Level 27 in Shields...). I think going any higher than 50% parrying would make Shields potentially too ridiculously powerful...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Quest of the Snow Pup:

If you return with more than one Snow Pup to Lord Brumbelton Snow Wolves invade Durnore. I did some testing, and I could only find six tiles that checked for this condition. All six tiles were outside the building where Lord Brumbelton resides.

You can avoid the invasion by Quick Traveling to Durnore. A few people might miss this event because they don't visit Lord Brumbelton again. I suggest adding a few more tiles that check for this condition in Durnore. Two for the Inn, two for the herb shop and two for the blacksmith where the doors are.
Wouldn't the easier solution just be to put some "check tiles" right by the Durnore town-sign for those Quick Travelers?! :P :mrgreen:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:If BasiliskWrangler did that IJBall, why would all the Snow Wolves run past you into Durnore? There is after all only one entrance into the village.
Ah, gotcha.

P.S. Does having the town attacked by wolves turn the whole town of Durnore hostile to you?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:[A bug:] I manually removed my sword from being equipped in my hands... (after hitting the 'X' key, which opens all 3 'player' windows'...). But then, after I went on my way, I noticed that my player avatar still looked like this, even though I was empty-handed!

My avatar stayed [sword-equipped] until I spoke to the Exotics dealer - after finishing browsing his inventory, my avatar was then correctly displayed as being empty-handed.
Good news! I have been able to reproduce this Avatar "bug"!
(And I've gotten my Avatar to, incorrectly, display being both Swords- and Shields- equipped when my character was, in fact, not equipped with either in his hands!)

Here's how you do it:
  • Open a container like a chest or a barrel.
  • Hit the "X" key to open all player windows.
  • Manually, unequip a weapon or shield (or armor?), by grabbing it with the cursor.
  • Place the weapon or shield (or armor?) directly into the open container.
  • Close the container window. Close the player windows (by hitting the "X" key again).
    {Note: I don't think the order of the window closings matter, so I think hitting "X", and then closing the container window - i.e. doing the opposite window-closing order - doesn't make any difference.}
Anyway, from this point on, my 'Avatar' still shows me wielding, say, a Sword and a Shield, even though I have, by this point, put my Sword and my Shield into the container (e.g. a chest).

So, it looks like some kind of 'check' for weapons/armor equipping for your Avatar needs to be performed when equipped items are transferred directly into a container from the Equip player window...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Fourth Level of Talushorn:

When General Ghorr is killed the portcullis at the red circle opens up. The gate at the yellow circle remains closed though, meaning you can't leave the level.
Hey, JL, had you cleared that level of all Taurax by that point? Maybe the gate at yellow doesn't open until everything on Level 4 of Talushorn is dead?
michellembrodeur
Initiate

Post by michellembrodeur »

When I pay to have something ID'd I should know what that item is from then on.

IE: I ID a regnant I found and then sold it. When I forage again and find it I do not know what it is again.

My lowest state is 15.

Also does the range of your bow ever increase?

Also there is a few monster who attack you off screen, one of them being the
Tarus (talking bull/cow). the spear thrower throws and never misses me and I cannot even see him. When you can throw a spear further then my lvl 32 Bow skill can fire a bow something is wrong.

thank it for now
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:Fourth Level of Talushorn:

When General Ghorr is killed the portcullis at the red circle opens up. The gate at the yellow circle remains closed though, meaning you can't leave the level.
Hey, JL, had you cleared that level of all Taurax by that point? Maybe the gate at yellow doesn't open until everything on Level 4 of Talushorn is dead?
I'm sure everything was dead when I tried it, and that gate does not open.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm sure everything was dead when I tried it, and that gate does not open.
Why, is it supposed to? All things considered, I thought that was the "point of no return".
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Sslaxx wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm sure everything was dead when I tried it, and that gate does not open.
Why, is it supposed to? All things considered, I thought that was the "point of no return".
After discussion from players, BW altered it so some gates could reopen to allow people to go sell the cool loot they grabbed before the final encounter. I don't mind it the way it is. The loot past that gate is good for end-game score, and when I get there for the most part there's not much left elsewhere in the world of Book II to do other than wipe out the populace. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:After discussion from players, BW altered it so some gates could reopen to allow people to go sell the cool loot they grabbed before the final encounter. I don't mind it the way it is. The loot past that gate is good for end-game score, and when I get there for the most part there's not much left elsewhere in the world of Book II to do other than wipe out the populace. ;-)
I thought that was just Talushorn level 3?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Frivolous Mode Activated!

If you ignore/fail the puzzle on level three of Talushorn you can now open the gate to go back to level two if you use the wooden lever at the back. What bothers me is that only the middle section opens up, why are the other two tiles ignored? All three should rise! :P
All three gates don't open up because it's a reminder that, as you failed the puzzle and activated the dragonnel trap, you're stuck playing in "schmuck" mode! :wink:

Edit: P.S. I agree with you, on what the "point of no return" on Level 4 of Talushorn should be. And I also agree that the final gate shouldn't trigger unless you have both the Looking Glass and the Crux of Fire.
Last edited by IJBall on July 21st, 2010, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

michellembrodeur wrote:When I pay to have something ID'd I should know what that item is from then on.

[E.G.]: I ID a regnant I found and then sold it. When I forage again and find it I do not know what it is again.
I agree with you: once ID'ed, should be always ID'ed.

ID'ing something, even via merchant, should trigger a "flag" so that that item, from then on, is always ID'ed...
michellembrodeur wrote:Also does the range of your bow ever increase?
Nope.