weapon damage

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Bob the Thief
Apprentice

weapon damage

Post by Bob the Thief »

Is there any information on the amount of damage a weapon does other than it's base damage classification (i.e. number of points, 3d8, etc.)? How can you find out if an enchanted sword that is base damage 6 with +3 damage is better or worse than a sword which is damage class 8

Also, are all the base damage ratings on the same scale? For example, does an hammer that has a base damage rating 6 do the same damage as a sword that also has a base damage rating of 6? Or are the base damage scales different for different classes of weapons?

Thanks.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: weapon damage

Post by Randomizer »

Base damage is the die for the weapon. It does between 1 and the base damage amount. So a base 8 weapon will do between 1 and 8 points of damage.

The bonus damage comes in two types: + damage increases the base damage while fire, freezing, magick, and poison are added after the weapon damage is calculated. So you can see that your attack did a certain amount of damage and then a second line appears giving the special damage. This can result in a monster fleeing from taking the first damage and then dropping dead from the special damage.

The weapon damage can get modified by critical hits (double damage), weapon feats, and using power or finesse modes in combat.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Actually, you'll probably find the base damage ranges from around half the max damage to max damage. I believe the average damage (from the base part) is about 0.75 * Max, not 0.5 * Max.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Off topic but..

Post by deathknight1728 »

Does light armor give you anything beyond the ability to wear it. It seems useless other than that 1st point. I was wondering if you get damage reduction but i threw some points into it and got nothing. I cant seem to figure out how to get damage reduced.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

See this topic on damage reduction:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=3461

All you get is an increasing chance that your armor will take some of the damage instead of you. It isn't really worth it.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

Randomizer wrote:See this topic on damage reduction:

All you get is an increasing chance that your armor will take some of the damage instead of you. It isn't really worth it.
Stuff like that is so disappointing. Why include a skill if its efficacy is so out of whack with other skills that accomplish the same thing? I.e., why include armor skills when dodge is ALWAYS the better choice? As it stands, armor skills beyond the first point add literally nothing to the game other than a false choice and eventual frustration and disappointment. What is the point of that? Why not do the math and equalize the usefulness of the skills to some degree, so that the choice of whether to take them is interesting?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

omgtifb wrote:why include armor skills when dodge is ALWAYS the better choice?
Dodge might be a slightly better choice, but neither one is really something I'd recommend. You'd need huge levels of dodge to see much benefit. If you want to spend skill points to improve your defense, the way to go is either mercantile (so you can afford better armor), divine (for stoneskin), or possibly shields.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

omgtifb wrote:

Stuff like that is so disappointing. Why include a skill if its efficacy is so out of whack with other skills that accomplish the same thing? I.e., why include armor skills when dodge is ALWAYS the better choice?...
I'm hoping to discuss this issue going into Book III. The most obvious way to make Armor relevant is for every 1-2 Levels in Armor to raise your Armor Rating by +1.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

IJBall wrote:
omgtifb wrote:

Stuff like that is so disappointing. Why include a skill if its efficacy is so out of whack with other skills that accomplish the same thing? I.e., why include armor skills when dodge is ALWAYS the better choice?...
I'm hoping to discuss this issue going into Book III. The most obvious way to make Armor relevant is for every 1-2 Levels in Armor to raise your Armor Rating by +1.
Is that +1 for every piece of that type of armour? Or +1 if you're wearing any of that armour, regardless of how many? How is it decided?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Rowanas wrote:
IJBall wrote:
omgtifb wrote:Stuff like that is so disappointing. Why include a skill if its efficacy is so out of whack with other skills that accomplish the same thing? I.e., why include armor skills when dodge is ALWAYS the better choice?...
Is that +1 for every piece of that type of armour? Or +1 if you're wearing any of that armour, regardless of how many? How is it decided?
I'd vote for the latter. But I guess that's one of the things we'd have to discuss... :)
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I'm not allowing that quote pyramid to continue any further.

You're right about the necessity for discussion, I've already found a couple ways to exploit your proposed mechanism for armour :D
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Right now you get DR in proportion to how many pieces of armor you're wearing, and the level of skill increases the rate you get DR. I don't think that mechanism is bad, just there's no need for DR. I would vote for the same system, but giving a percent bonus to your armor score. So if you're wearing enough light armor to give 10 armor score and have enough light armor skill to give +10% bonus, your light armor would be worth a total of 11 armor score.
zeland
Initiate

Post by zeland »

Unless the targeting mechanics is changed to have multiple target areas (head, arms, torso, legs, etc.), I would prefer the armour system be changed to be just a single slot. Armour protection and coverage will be determined by the type/style of armour you are using raging from a simple vest to full body armour.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Personally, the whole idea of armour making you harder to hit annoys me. Armour isdamage reduction, nothing else. Sure, misleading clothing, like cloaks and loose tops could make you harder to hit, but as a rule, armour doesn't make you sudenly dodge the blows of your enemies.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Depending upon the type of armor the two main uses are to reduce damage by preventing the blow from penetrating and to deflect damage by causing the blows force to go off at an angle much like a shield. Any gaming system just simplifies it to make it possible to calculate what happens.