Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Rowanas
Council Member

Re: Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Post by Rowanas »

xolotl wrote:
Rowanas wrote:Hello, as a representative for NMBBT (Nerf the Mages Before Book Three) I hereby declare that mages are too powerful.
You register nmbbt.org, I'll grab ckmatt.org (Coalition for Keeping Mages As They Are) and we'll get some online petitionwars going on.

FIGHT!

:)
Oh, silly xolotl. The brotherhood of NMBBT has been for an aeon, and shall be for many aeons yet. Look at your family albums, news reports, billboards. Hidden within every image is our mark, for we have seen this petitionwar coming for an age! :D

(This reminds me of the left handed palace in the sky. We lefties can talk about it openly, because no-one would ever believe it exists :D)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
Rowanas wrote:Hello, as a representative for NMBBT (Nerf the Mages Before Book Three) I hereby declare that mages are too powerful.
You register nmbbt.org, I'll grab ckmatt.org (Coalition for Keeping Mages As They Are) and we'll get some online petitionwars going on.

FIGHT!

:)
I think there's one or two quite simple ways to 'rebalance' Mages for Book III which shouldn't change play for them all that much. So hopefully both of these camps will get some measure of satisfaction... ;)
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Don't nerf mages - beef everyone else up to match :)
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Antigrav wrote:
Farwalker wrote:Would be nice to see a more quarterstaff-like branch of weapons that continues on.
Pun intended?

I can see metal staves being added in the expansion. I hope someone working on the expansion does as well!
I was ready to use that big chunk of petrified wood I found...
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

silverkitty wrote:Don't nerf mages - beef everyone else up to match :)
Yeah, especially beef up the poor monsters, they aren't faring too well.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

There aren't many games where it's an achievement if you can take out one of your opponents before being utterly depleted of hitpoints.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Farwalker wrote:Yeah, especially beef up the poor monsters, they aren't faring too well.
Some things are so true they need to be repeated. :P

I think especially the curve isn't really there. The more you move on in the game, the easier it becomes. Of course, this goes mainly if you've set up your character well.
But if it's Silverkitty how argued against toning down the Mages, then I understand, because I think the remark applies to pure Mages.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Ok, this may be the strongest melee weapon in the game, considering just the weapon itself.

Highest damage and a fairly reasonable weight. This weapon can actually save you 2 points in alchemy (no need to add a bonus to physical damage or "to hit" yourself, since they come on it to start). It's not too bad to find in stores either - this one came from Durnore, and I've seen them in the final shop as well. You can also find just +4 damage versions and add in a further damage type instead of the to hit bonus if you like.

However, it happens that the Axe feat is rather underpowered compared to other options (at least in my opinion), which is why this Axe sits in one of my collection sacks instead of getting used. Instead I prefer this War Hammer:

Don't let the funny low "value" fool you, this weapon is awesome and can be reliably found in every play through of the game - you just need to be high enough level when you find the war hammer, and then of course you'll need enough alchemy skill to add the enchantments yourself. War Mauls are available for bludgeon as well, and can deliver slightly more damage if you have a good one, but for me it's not worth all the extra weight (15 pounds or more).

I'll add in a picture for one piece of armor too. This is another benefit versus weight trade off - scale armor is slightly less protective than plate armor for the hands (one point), but is about half the weight. Awesome if you're watching that casting limit on weight of gloves / weapon / shield. It can also be found with this strength bonus, which is a great benefit. Strongest material quality I've found it in is this Mithril example.

In all these cases I have enhanced the original item with at least one additional enchantment via alchemy.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Sade wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:I guess you could look at it as a funny-shaped ray gun. I presume it doesn't count as "Kills made using a bow" or "Kills made using Magic?"
Just checked it; it does count as a kill, but not either as "Kills made using a bow" or as "Kills made using Magic".

I suppose that the game handles the wand as if it would be a (physical) melee weapon.
Ha ha! Found something fun - apparently it counts as an unarmed weapon, because you can use the unarmed feat with it. 8)

I must say, that 4x damage bonus :shock: sure works nice with this thing! If only it would count some of those damages in my highest physical attack statistic, that would look pretty impressive... :D
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

This may not be the best armor in the game, but it is the first time that I've seen an item value this high - previously I'd only seen up to 15750. This is from the weapons dealer on Picaroon Isle:
eb2_armor.png
eb2_armor.png (16.11 KiB) Viewed 21928 times
It was honestly rather tempting (imagine imbuing a +3 onto that!), though I think I was almost 20k dollars short, which would have proven problematic. Even the weight is pretty nice!
jwrickert
Apprentice

Post by jwrickert »

Found a Mithril Axe with a base damage of 14 and a harpoon with a base of 17
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

jwrickert wrote:Found a Mithril Axe with a base damage of 14 and a harpoon with a base of 17
Thrown weapons commonly have very high base damages to make up for the fact that they're one-use, but I've never seen a melee weapon with higher than 11. Did you level your character past the 22ish you can easily get without camping for random encounters?
jwrickert
Apprentice

Post by jwrickert »

Actually, the axe was for sale in a weapon shop.
Undermun
Pledge

Post by Undermun »

i dont know if this counts because it is in book three, but I took a screenshot (I don't really know how to stick it in directly)

file:///screenshots/esch%20screenshots/book%20three/Screen%20shot%202017-11-24%20at%2019.28.00.png
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yeah, you're going to need to upload that to imgur or similar before anyone can see it.