The End Is Nigh...for PPC users.

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

The End Is Nigh...for PPC users.

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Eschalon: Book II will be the last game we support on the PowerPC-based Macintosh. Sorry- some of the development software we use won't work with PPC anymore.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: The End Is Nigh...for PPC users.

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Eschalon: Book II will be the last game we support on the PowerPC-based Macintosh. Sorry- some of the development software we use won't work with PPC anymore.
I don't think anyone should be surprised by this.

Frankly, I'm surprised that PPC support has generally lasted as long as it has... :|
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Sigh, :(

Oh well, guess I'll have to use my Laptop for next games. At least that way I can take it to bed with me and play when I can't sleep! :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Nooooo !!!!!! I really have been putting off getting a new computer since just being able to play games didn't seem like a good reason.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Randomizer wrote:Nooooo !!!!!! I really have been putting off getting a new computer since just being able to play games didn't seem like a good reason.
WHAT!?!? Are you trying to tell me that computers are good for something other than playing games??? =P
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

CrazyBernie wrote: WHAT!?!? Are you trying to tell me that computers are good for something other than playing games??? =P
Word processing, meaning typing up letters when you make lots of typos. I just found my Pentium 1 computer needs to get fixed so I can use the laser printer for it. The printer only has serial and parrel port access. :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I only keep my one remaining PPC machine around as a print server and fax, since it's the only one I have that actually has a modem port and Apple discontinued support for Appletalk, so it's my only machine that can still talk to my old LaserJet (which, after 16 years, is still the most cost effective and reliable printer I have ever used).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You guys need a parallel port JetDirect (or equivalent) so you can plug them printers into your network. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833127043
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Randomizer wrote:Nooooo !!!!!! I really have been putting off getting a new computer since just being able to play games didn't seem like a good reason.
I'm really sorry about this, Randomizer. You were the first person I thought of when I realized that support for PPC was going away.

You can always just get a low-end Mac mini with an Intel CPU, then add your own keyboard/mouse/monitor. That's what I do, and it's a lot cheaper than getting a complete Mac.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
I'm really sorry about this, Randomizer. You were the first person I thought of when I realized that support for PPC was going away.

You can always just get a low-end Mac mini with an Intel CPU, then add your own keyboard/mouse/monitor. That's what I do, and it's a lot cheaper than getting a complete Mac.
If you have an HD television, you can always hook a Mac Mini to that and play Eschalon on a massive screen. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: If you have an HD television, you can always hook a Mac Mini to that and play Eschalon on a massive screen. ;-)
I'm in a marginal over the air TV reception area. After finding out how really bad my reception is I saw no reason to upgrade to an HD set.

I'll probably get a new computer around the time Book 3 comes out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Perheps the end is closer than I thought!

I am preparing version 1.06 of Book I and I cannot get it to compile on the PPC Mac. :? It just crashes without producing an error. So I may release Book I 1.06 Mac version as Intel only. How many people will this affect?

As for Book II [1.05] I will do my best to get a PPC version done, but no promises! :cry:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Perheps the end is closer than I thought!

I am preparing version 1.06 of Book I and I cannot get it to compile on the PPC Mac. :? It just crashes without producing an error. So I may release Book I 1.06 Mac version as Intel only. How many people will this affect?

As for Book II [1.05] I will do my best to get a PPC version done, but no promises! :cry:
I've got both, Big Mac(ppc) and Laptop with Intel so it won't effect me much. Just have to to a bit of wire hooking up and making room. :|
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I am preparing version 1.06 of Book I...
How soon is this coming?

Do you need me to prepare a Book I 'bugs' list? (I have somewhat of an 'informal' list that I can probably codify if you're interested...)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:

I am preparing version 1.06 of Book I...
How soon is this coming?

Do you need me to prepare a Book I 'bugs' list? (I have somewhat of an 'informal' list that I can probably codify if you're interested...)
Thanks IJBall, I have really appreciated the work you've done compiling the Book II bug list.

Our plan is to re-release Book I sometime next year with all the bug fixes and a large additional area to explore. This will probably be called "Book I Collectors Edition" and I will offer some more DVDs of it since I still get a few requests each month from people wanting to know if they can get a DVD of Book I.

So yes, I would very much appreciate if you could begin to compile a list of fixes and wishes for Book I which I could begin to work off of. But for now, version 1.06 is just a brand-new compile of the game with a couple minor technical bugs fixed which should make the game more stable for Mac users. I still get regular complaints of crashes and glitchy graphics on Mac which is why I am dropping PPC support and making a few other technical tweaks.

[EDIT]

Oops, my above post wasn't very clear!

Version 1.06 of Book I should be done in the next 24 hours, then we'll upload it to all the portals.

The "Collector's Edition" of Book I is (as I stated) a 2011 project.