The End Is Nigh...for PPC users.

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: The End Is Nigh...for PPC users.

Post by SpottedShroom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: for now, version 1.06 is just a brand-new compile of the game with a couple minor technical bugs fixed which should make the game more stable for Mac users.
If you're going to release Book I 1.06 for other platforms, you might want to keep in mind the possibility of introducing new higher libc requirements. It shouldn't be an issue for Book II users since we've already had to upgrade, but Book I was much more forgiving in earlier builds.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

SpottedShroom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote: for now, version 1.06 is just a brand-new compile of the game with a couple minor technical bugs fixed which should make the game more stable for Mac users.
If you're going to release Book I 1.06 for other platforms, you might want to keep in mind the possibility of introducing new higher libc requirements. It shouldn't be an issue for Book II users since we've already had to upgrade, but Book I was much more forgiving in earlier builds.
Good point...I didn't really think about it, but when I compile Book I 1.06 on the Linux box, it's going to be compiled with the same requirements as Book II.

And yes, although this is primarily a Mac fix, I will make new builds for all platforms to keep the code base in balance.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Perheps the end is closer than I thought!

I am preparing version 1.06 of Book I and I cannot get it to compile on the PPC Mac. :? It just crashes without producing an error. So I may release Book I 1.06 Mac version as Intel only. How many people will this affect?

As for Book II [1.05] I will do my best to get a PPC version done, but no promises! :cry:
I suppose a new computer will be sooner than I thought. :(
I'll see how Book II [1.05] works on my old PPC when it's released if it is. Version 1.04 worked fine.
RipTheJacker
Pledge

Post by RipTheJacker »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Eschalon: Book II will be the last game we support on the PowerPC-based Macintosh. Sorry- some of the development software we use won't work with PPC anymore.
...Good.

~Rip~
:twisted:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Our plan is to re-release Book I sometime next year with all the bug fixes and a large additional area to explore.
Ash Island?
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Westerm Thaermore. But I'll take Ash Island. 8)
mybreitz
Pledge

Post by mybreitz »

Let's say I want to download the old version. Because I installed the new version before I realized it wouldn't work. Can I still get a copy?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

mybreitz wrote:Let's say I want to download the old version. Because I installed the new version before I realized it wouldn't work. Can I still get a copy?
I do have PPC versions of Book I (v1.05) and Book II (v1.04). Just because they are a bit out of date does not mean they aren't playable- on the contrary, they are very stable and mostly bug free.

Note: we are not giving away free PPC copies- rather, if you bought the game and discovered that you need a PPC version, I can get you an older version. And actually, you should be able to locate version 1.04 of Book II (includes the PPC code) on sites like GamersHell or any other service that normally hosts our games. Just unlock it with your Reg Key and start playing.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
mybreitz
Pledge

Post by mybreitz »

Thank you for the reply. Turns out I hadn't emptied my Trash since July and I still had a copy of the original .dmg file in there! I had actually thrown out the whole .04 folder before I realized what I had done, so embarrassing... However, I would think you could still sell the earlier version to poor suckers like me who need a new computer. It is such a fun game. Why not get people hooked if you can? Thanks again!