"The Secret of Fathamurk" FAQ

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

"The Secret of Fathamurk" FAQ

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

[Q] What is "The Secret of Fathamurk?"
[A] It is a new, high-level adventure for Eschalon: Book II which gives the game an additional 3-5 hours of gameplay.

[Q] Is it a seperate game?
[A] No, it's an extension of Eschalon: Book II. If you already have Eschalon: Book II, you'll be able to play The Secret of Fathamurk.

[Q] Ah, so it's another scheme by you wealthy, money-grubbing developers to get us to buy downloadable content, right?
[A] No, it is a free extention to the game. You just need to own the original game Eschalon: Book II.

[Q] So I don't have to pay for it?
[A] Nope. We love you and this is our gift to you for being a customer. But if you really want to help us, please mention our games on your Twitter feed, or on your Facebook page, or your blog. Or if you've been playing Book II and you didn't actually buy it, please consider purchasing a copy now. Your support allows us to make make more games for you!

[Q] How do I get it?
[A] The additional content is included with version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II which was released October 29, 2010. You just need to redownload the game and install it. The new content is already integrated into the game.

[Q] How do I see the new content?
[A] Once inside the game, you need to go to the Farrock Caves. In the western part of the caves is a sealed hallway, beyond which is a stairwell going down. The new content is down there, in the dungeons of Fathamurk.

[Q] The Farrock Caves? Where/what is that?
[A] It's a series of caves southwest of Port Kuudad. Using the Quick Travel function, you can jump to "The Farrock Monolith" to reach the southeast entrace of the caves. The stairs down to Fathamurk are in the western section of the caves, beyond a sealed wall (take some powder kegs with you!). If you need more help, the nice people who hang out on our forums will give you some guidance.

[Q] What skill level is this new content intended for?
[A] The new content is designed for high-level characters- level 15 or above. So you have three options:

1) Start a new game and build your charcater up to at least level 15.
2) Load a previously saved game (any game saved before you reach the end of the main storyline in Eschalon: Book II) and use a character that has already reached that level.
3) Try your luck with a lower-level character. Perhaps you'll have the smarts and fortitude to make it through alive, but don't send us hate mail telling us the add-on was too hard for your level 3 Theif. Trust us, Fathamurk is a tough place!

[Q] Is this additional content part of the main storyline in Book II?
[A] No, it doesn't affect the main storyline at all. You can play the game and never even visit this new dungeon, and it won't change your game one bit. But for true fans of the game, there will be some clues in Fathamurk regarding the true nature of the Orakur!

[Q] What else is notable about version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II?
[A] Quite a bit, actually! There are a large number of updates to the game engine as well as additional content to other areas* of the game world in addition to Fathamurk dungeon. For example, the Zoological ruins outside Port Kuudad have been expanded and additional enemies have been added to several areas of the game, just to list a few of the updates.

*While the special add-on content of "Fathamurk Dungeon" can be enjoyed through any previously saved game, some additional content to other areas of the game world may not be viewable without starting a new adventure with a new character.
farraock_help1.jpg
farraock_help1.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 53559 times
farraock_help2.jpg
farraock_help2.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 53560 times
farraock_help3.jpg
farraock_help3.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 53560 times
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: "The Secret of Fathamurk" FAQ

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:[Q] Ah, so it's another scheme by you wealthy, money-grubbing developers to get us to buy downloadable content, right?
[A] No, it is a free extention to the game. You just need to own the original game Eschalon: Book II.

[A] Nope. We love you and this is our gift to you for being a customer. But if you really want to help us, please mention our games on your Twitter feed, or on your Facebook page, or your blog. Or if you've been playing Book II and you didn't actually buy it, please consider purchasing a copy now. Your support allows us to make make more games for you!
Follow-up question:

[Q] Will the expansion have a way to facilitate grateful fans donating to Basilisk Games for this add-on content? Like will there be a one-click link from the main menu that will take us to a webpage where we can donate (e.g. via Plimus)?
BasiliskWrangler wrote:[Q] What else is notable about version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II?
[A] Quite a bit, actually! There are a large number of updates to the game engine as well as additional content to other areas* of the game world in addition to Fathamurk dungeon. For example, the Zoolological ruins outside Port Kuudad have been expanded and additional e[n]emies have been added to several areas of the game, just to list a few of the updates.
Very cool, BW. Was not expecting this.
Am really looking forward to this now! :D

P.S. Love the Minimap - you're clearly doing some cool new things with Cartography! :mrgreen:

P.P.S. I'd like to believe that's my Fighter dude in the bottom screenie, but I'm thinking that it's not as my guy primarily used a lantern and not torches... :| :P :wink:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Absolutely cannot wait! I've been holding off doing a fourth play-through until this extension was added, but I'm not sure I can wait until October.

Also, I would like to add a vote for a "donation button." Maybe $5 would make some of us feel we were contributing to future games............
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
[Q] What else is notable about version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II?
[A] Quite a bit, actually! There are a large number of updates to the game engine as well as additional content to other areas* of the game world in addition to Fathamurk dungeon. For example, the Zoolological ruins outside Port Kuudad have been expanded and additional ememies have been added to several areas of the game, just to list a few of the updates.

*While the special add-on content of "Fathamurk Dungeon" can be enjoyed through any previously saved game, some additional content to other areas of the game world may not be viewable without starting a new adventure with a new character.

:lol: Zoolological? zoological, and ememies? :) wonder what that is. New monster? :mrgreen:

Great news and the word shall be passed on. Getting itchy fingers now.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Whoo, sounds great! Unfortunately, my paladin is all ready at the end of the game, and thus trapped. But I will be able to check out all of the new content with my new mage character. I can't wait!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Fortunately I already donated saves for my last three characters for testing, so I've got three play-throughs all ready and queued up at the Fathamurk stairs.

Basilisk, you're awesome for doing stuff like this. I'm looking forward to it!
TNoyce
Apprentice

Post by TNoyce »

This is wonderful news!

Keep up the good work!
Tim Noyce
TheBuzzSaw
Apprentice

Post by TheBuzzSaw »

CURSES!

I haven't purchased Book II yet. Now an expansion is coming out? I feel so behind!
Amateurs practice until they do it right.
Professionals practice until they never do it wrong.
AXS
Apprentice

Post by AXS »

I´m with IJball , i would gladly contribute more to this great project.
Making a donation .Just hope it can be made via plimus ,i don´t have paypal.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Alternately, those wanting to donate to BW could buy an extra copy of the game and give it away (I know there are organizations that love games for the troops, for instance). Just be sure if you do this to print out the registration information and stick it in the DVD case yourself so the recipient can actually play the game.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Would you know the names of any of those organizations? I think that is a great idea.
krisklef
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by krisklef »

Class act all the way. Big game companies could learn a thing or two from your business model.
krisklef
Lemming23
Pledge

Post by Lemming23 »

Will this work on PPC macs?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Lemming23 wrote:Will this work on PPC macs?
No. We had to drop PPC support because some of the tools we use to make the game no longer work on older Macs. I am very sorry if this will impact any of our customers negatively. The decision to drop PPC support will mean better support overall for current Macs.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Lemming23 wrote:Will this work on PPC macs?
No. We had to drop PPC support because some of the tools we use to make the game no longer work on older Macs. I am very sorry if this will impact any of our customers negatively. The decision to drop PPC support will mean better support overall for current Macs.
Given my affinity for all things Apple, and my secondary love for RPGs, and my thirdary love for Basilisk Games, and I think my wife and child are in there some where. Anyway, I would be willing, for the good of the community, to give away one of my spare Intel Minis (old 2006 era, they just crunch seti) in some sort of contest or need based giveaway. Times is rough, and I scrape by better than most (and buy far FAR to many Macs) so call it fate, call it karma, call it what you will. Lets give a needy PPC user the ability to enjoy the future of Basilisk games! :shock: