No! Good Old Games is gone!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

No! Good Old Games is gone!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Bummers- one of the best places to legally buy quality games from the past is gone.

RIP, GOG.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Re: No! Good Old Games is gone!

Post by Sslaxx »

So it didn't make enough money from sales? Or has the used games shenanigans (9th Circuit, yes?) had a negative impact on its business?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

There is currently a TON of speculation and whatnot swirling about this....but yeah...I'm pretty well crushed/furious as I have a good many games that needed downloading, purchases I was about to make exclusive to GoG, and so forth.

Word on the wind, for what little said wind may be worth, is that more info will manifest on 9/22.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I guess people will just go back to pirating

:|
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The death report may have been too soon...rumor is that they are reorganizing and will reopen, possibly under a different name and/or format.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
PC Gamer wrote:Tomorrow, the site will re-launch, out of beta with some new features and some new games, but fundamentally unchanged. The closure was a hoax. After days of growing backlash as rumours spread and gamers were understandably unhappy at being fooled, we asked Good Old Games why they decided to re-launch the site in this way. Their statement is included in full below.

“First of all we’d like to apologize to everyone who felt deceived or harmed in any way by the closedown of GOG.com. As a small company we don’t have a huge marketing budget and this why we could not miss a chance to generate some buzz around an event as big as launching a brand new version of our website and even more important, bringing back Baldur’s Gate to life!"
What a good way to piss off your customers. Good Old Games know where they can stick their apology. The people responsible for this pathetic marketing stunt should be fired.

And this video? Wow.
Yeah I'm a bit irritated at their ploy as well. I doubt I'll make many future purchases from them at this point, and will just make sure I have all of my games and files downloaded.

Personally, I couldn't give a hairy rats behind about Baldur's Gate...I'm not ashamed to admit...I really didn't care for it, or Icewind Dale :shock:
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

That was a really ill-conceived publicity stunt and the monk video... umm... uh... yeah I'll just pretend that didn't happen. They say any publicity is good publicity but I'm not sure that applies in this case. :lol:

Still a horrendous publicity stunt won't stop me from purchasing games from them. I still have my Baldur's Gate discs (with the huge book style case and all) so no need to buy that but if they ever run a sale that includes Beyond Good and Evil (or if the price happens to drop on that game) I'm all over it.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Umm... perhaps I'm missing something, but... has GOG just harmed somebody?

Surely people can find something worse than this to be angry at? :roll:
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I gotta admit, considering the fact that a site shutdown is the worse thing that could happen with thsi type of service, it was a pretty big /fail on their part.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Well GOG alienated a lot of customers with their PR stunt but then they hooked up Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment (the greatest RPG ever made) but I already own both those excellent titles. But then they did another sale that included Psychonauts and Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon. I don't like to be duped but I also like savings the money, so I jump in it *kisses miniature giraffe*. :lol:

It's been ages since I've played a platformer and Psychonauts is an awesome title in the genre. I'm currently loving the bejesus out of Psychonauts that I bought for 5 freakin' bucks then it's on to some Tex Murphy goodness, then back to RPGing. GOG, I can't stay mad at you.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

CrazyBernie wrote:I gotta admit, considering the fact that a site shutdown is the worse thing that could happen with thsi type of service, it was a pretty big /fail on their part.
Maybe, it sort of made a statement though. Even if they went down, an industrious individual that saved their .exe's would be able to play their DRM free games for perpetuity. Now if Steam closed down I'm BONED.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Well I gotta hand it to GOG. They hooked up everybody who had an account with them before the whole PR fiasco with a free game, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games (or something else if you already bought that game from them). I take it this is their way of saying "Sorry about the bone-headed PR stunt, please stay with us". Now I'm not much into strategy games because: a) Generally not my cup of tea b) I'm not particularly good at them (see also: I suck), however I do partake in a strategy game once in a blue moon and free is free, and free is good. 8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map