Who wants to help test "The Secret of Fathamurk"?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Who wants to help test "The Secret of Fathamurk"?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I want to run a few players through the new sections of version 1.05 this weekend. If you are a legit owner of Book II and want to try it out, send me an email (info AT basiliskgames DOT com) and I'll randomly select a few people Friday afternoon to download and play the latest version.

The original FAQ for the add-on content can be read here.

I'll say this as well: Fathamurk is truly for "the hardcore fans". It is a challenging dungeon designed solely to give that high-level character you've developed a good workout. But it also has a lot of hints about the what will be in the final game, and there are references to information presented in Book I sprinkled in. If you are a real Eschalon fan, this one is for you.

I don't know how long the average player will take to plunder Fathamurk. Five hours is what I was shooting for, but very skill players will likely do it in less. Also, there are still some details I am adding and bugs to be fixed, so this is still considered a beta test. If it goes well, I will try to have version 1.05 online by the end of next week.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Who wants to help test "The Secret of Fathamurk"?

Post by xolotl »

Ah, excellent! Too bad I'm so busy through next week. Hope the testing goes well, and looking forward to it!
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Would you also be interested by players who don't have any hardcore character ? To see how difficult it is for a not optimized character ? (I got my armorless fist-fighting monk)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

ManusDei wrote:Would you also be interested by players who don't have any hardcore character ? To see how difficult it is for a not optimized character ? (I got my armorless fist-fighting monk)
Sure! Just email me and I'll get a link to you later today.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Didn't see this announcement till noon Friday. Sent in my email just in case it's not too late to help test.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Dragonlady wrote:Didn't see this announcement till noon Friday. Sent in my email just in case it's not too late to help test.
I'll definitely send you a link, DL...but you need the Mac version and I probably won't get that compiled until Sunday.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Not me!

I don't really understand why some people really like doing this. I see it as like someone telling you the ending of a movie before you get to watch it

But a big thanks to all the testers who take the bullet to make sure the finished product is as awesome as it can be :!:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:Didn't see this announcement till noon Friday. Sent in my email just in case it's not too late to help test.
I'll definitely send you a link, DL...but you need the Mac version and I probably won't get that compiled until Sunday.
Oh! Okay, fine by me. I get to have a few more hours playing Din's Curse. It is a curse you know, I'm hooked! though I can't tolerate the tension when I get higher than 19th level. Start over with a new character. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

I won't spoil or anything, but I just installed it and it runs fine.
I got in Fatharmuk and did a bit of exploring already (and dying miserably).
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I'm a Mac user, so can't help out at this point. This really sounds like fun!!!
I-hate-captchas
Initiate

Post by I-hate-captchas »

I will definitely give it at try when you build the Linux version. Beta or not, Linux version was a bit broken at the beginning anyway ;)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I-hate-captchas wrote:I will definitely give it at try when you build the Linux version. Beta or not, Linux version was a bit broken at the beginning anyway ;)
How do you figure? I've run the Linux version over several versions, and the only bug I got bit by was the Eastwillow case sensitivity one.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:How do you figure? I've run the Linux version over several versions, and the only bug I got bit by was the Eastwillow case sensitivity one.
I seem to recall that there were a couple of extra releases for Linux which didn't actually bump up the version number but used letters. 1.04c or something like that (don't recall if it was for 1.04 or not). So there were a few other issues on the Linux builds, at least.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

xolotl wrote: I seem to recall that there were a couple of extra releases for Linux which didn't actually bump up the version number but used letters. 1.04c or something like that (don't recall if it was for 1.04 or not). So there were a few other issues on the Linux builds, at least.
Those were to correct the case sensitivity issue, and a problem with putting on pants.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Couldn't get the Mac version (or Linux) compiled this weekend. Tomorrow I am going to be out of the studio, so hopefully I'll have a Mac and Linux version ready for Tuesday.

The add-on seems to be a bit shorter than I hoped; average play-through time is about 3 hours. I am debating on whether or not I should add more content to it. This might delay release by a couple weeks, but could guarantee at least 5 hours for the average player.

I'm also concerned with releasing it too close to New Vegas. I am counting on a bit of "news buzz" to generate more sales, but if everyone is going to talking about New Vegas, our news will be lost in the noise.