Suggestions for improvements

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
chamr
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by chamr »

Freakin' fantastic game. Love, love, LOVE IT!

A few requests:

1) make interaction cursor a different color in addition to being a different shape. In a game that relies on "cursor searching", would be very helpful.

2) make color of character conditions different. e.g. red = bad, blue = magic induced, green = non-magic good (e.g. Silent).

3) make baddies' detect range reduced in darkness if I'm not carrying a light source. unless, of course, they are the type of creature that can smell you, which would be yet another great detail for a game already full of them. :)

4) second the creature knowledge idea. i've always liked that feature. add a skill, have it augmented by a couple of attributes (int and perc being the obvious ones) as well as how many of the given baddie you've killed, and then let us shift-right click (or somesuch) on the monster to get info on it.

Thanks!
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

chamr wrote:4) second the creature knowledge idea. i've always liked that feature. add a skill, have it augmented by a couple of attributes (int and perc being the obvious ones) as well as how many of the given baddie you've killed, and then let us shift-right click (or somesuch) on the monster to get info on it.

Thanks!
Yes. This would be quite a good thing to have.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
myriac
Initiate

Post by myriac »

i downloaded demo & play . its a fantastic game. but if it had higher resolutions i'd purchase this fabulous game. 800 x 600 resolution limitation is very annoying. if there would be a patch in the future supporting at least 1024 x 768 windowed mode then i will purchase it.

thanks to creators & best regards.

myriac
citizendragon
Apprentice

Post by citizendragon »

Would love to see the mouse wheel=scroll thru hotkeyed spells.

That would be really cool for us spellcasters to just scroll the mouse wheel to cast the next hotkeyed spell!

Thanks for getting a patch out so quickly...such a fun game.
antiblion
Pledge

Post by antiblion »

Is it possible to add a sleep till morning/night and a sleep for x hours option?

And congrats! This is the best RPG I've played so far this year.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

citizendragon wrote:Would love to see the mouse wheel=scroll thru hotkeyed spells.

That would be really cool for us spellcasters to just scroll the mouse wheel to cast the next hotkeyed spell!

Thanks for getting a patch out so quickly...such a fun game.
i second this idea.

also, mousewheel support for all lists would be great (spells, skills, etc.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

vid-

There should be mouse wheel support already for the skill list in the Character Editor, and your Spell Journal.

I know it's not "complete" support, but it does work on two things you mentioned.
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:vid-

There should be mouse wheel support already for the skill list in the Character Editor, and your Spell Journal.

I know it's not "complete" support, but it does work on two things you mentioned.
hm have to try that again, but i think that never worked for me.
do i have to place the mouse cursor at a specific place? (at the lists vertical bar or the list itself?)
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:There should be mouse wheel support already for the skill list in the Character Editor, and your Spell Journal.

I would very much like it if scrollwheel support was expanded, in particular so that I could scroll the narrative text as will as the list of Skills my character possesses on the stats page.

A few other interface-specific suggestions:

- If you have a stack of health/mana potions in your quickslots, using one "grabs" the empty flask - requiring you to open your inventory to dispose of it. This is especially annoying during combat. It would be helpful if using a potion in this fashion just automatically dumped the empty flask into your inventory.

- Switching between a melee weapon and a bow while using a shield is a pain. The game won't automatically remove the shield, so it won't equip the bow. You have to go into your inventory, remove the shield, then switch the weapons...and then do the whole thing in reverse when you want switch back to the sword/shield combo. The "weapon swap" concept should remember the state of both your hands - i.e. removing both sword and shield/torch to equip a bow, and then putting both items back when you press the swap button again.

- When you click to open a chest or barrel, it would be nice if the game would auto-move you to the barrel if you aren't close enough to open it (I could see limiting this to a range of maybe two or three tiles away so that you don't run past enemies or the like). It's a bit annoying to have to make sure I'm right beside a chest before opening it.

- If no enemies are near, the weight limit on casting should be ignored. Currently the limit achieves nothing but forcing me to go through several extra clicks to cast a spell - open inventory, remove shield, close inventory, cast spell, open inventory, equip shield, close inventory. Since none of the "equip" stuff takes an action/turn, it's not having an impact on the game, it's just making me do a ton of extra work.

I'll try to write up a longer post with thoughts about other aspects of the game later, but that should suffice for now. ;)

- Ash
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

vid wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:vid-

hm have to try that again, but i think that never worked for me.
do i have to place the mouse cursor at a specific place? (at the lists vertical bar or the list itself?)
no, i tried it and its not working for me. i even cant click on the vertical scrollbar to fast scroll up/down. i have to use the arrows on the bar.
is this a mousedriver problem or something like that?

another suggestion though:
iam in the process of learning both divine and elemental spells right now, so the quickcast keys are getting a bit limited. couldn´t you double or triple those slots when you would allow to use shift+1-9 and ctrl+1-9 or maybe ALT+1-9?

and another thing:
i like to use the mouse for nearly all things. so could you implement a "pass round" button or trigger this when i click on my character?
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: slow movement

Post by leonhartt »

D-elf wrote:Please add a run button/option, and make it only available until a hostile creature spots you.
I support this idea, somehow i think the walk speed is "slow" when i need to travel from one part of the map to the other end.

Suggestions,

1) Can we have auto-stack for potions, reagents and reactants when they go into the inventory?

2) How about adding an item like a "bag" or something to hold these reagents or reactants?

3) For the quest log, can we have topics and sub-topics, categorised by town/area. It can be more organised.

4) Perhaps the town healers can have another separate option to "cure disease".

I like to thanks the developers for bringing back old school rpgs to rpg fans. Enjoying the game so far. Great work! 8)
dryden
Apprentice

Post by dryden »

One thing, once I pay to have an item identified, could this stick with me? I keep having to get the same items re-identified over and over and this can be dangerous when I need a level 3 healing potion that I found, but cannot use because it is unidentified.

Also, I never quite figured out what each additional point in the mapping skill did for me. Could this be explained in the manual or somewhere?

I like that lvl up restores all health and mana. kind of a nice thing in the middle of the wilderness. IMO of course.

I like this game a lot, pretty sound and stable at production release (even on Vista!). I would have liked it to be much longer, but I always feel that way about good games. So, I am quite looking forward to the next chapter(s).