the Crazy Un-Called-for Sound Encore BUG, MAN!!!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

the Crazy Un-Called-for Sound Encore BUG, MAN!!!

Post by Evnissyen »

I wonder if this isn't just a thing with the 1.05 beta, since I don't recall ever encountering this before . . . well, honestly, I would've remembered. (This is the Mac version, by the way.)

First, a disclaimer so nobody will hurt me: I love atmosphere sound. Who needs game music, after all, when you have atmosphere sound? Bergman knew this, Spielberg still doesn't. But... sometimes I want to listen to music (eh... CDs, I mean) when I play, which means turning the stereo up and turning off the game's atmospheric sound.

But... when I turn off the atmosphere sound, switch to another program and then switch back: the atmosphere sound will return at 100%, full blast through the speakers I just turned up (well -- turned the stereo up, that is), and I don't always have too easy a time getting rid of it.

Sometimes I'm more fortunate, in that when I go back into Options, sometimes all I have to do is click on the zero% given after "Atmosphere Sound", to reaffirm its zero-ness I guess, and the game shuts up. But sometimes when I then go back to playing, the atmosphere sound comes on again, really annoyingly LOUD.

I mean: for some reason the game decides to turn the atmosphere sound all the way up to 100%. Talk about rude, man.

If just clicking on the 0% doesn't work, I click up to 10% and then back down to 0%, which sometimes works.

But sometimes nothing works, the game just keeps on blasting Atmosphere at 100% while I'm trying to listen to music, so I have to shut off the music and turn down the sound, close down the game, start it up again and then go back into the Options and try to fix it... eventually I'll get it fixed.

But, really... does anyone else have this problem? Do they find it at least as really really annoying as I do?

Just as a note: it's not just when I switch over to iTunes that this happens: it happens when I switch from the game into any other program -- even the Finder -- and then back again.

But... on a lighter note... .

Has anybody ever noticed that if you set your OS's dock to a very specific size, and Eschalon is right next door to Eschalon Book II -- in Western sequence -- and you roll your mouse cursor over from Eschalon to Eschalon Book II... well, you'll see no movement in the name: all you'll see is "Book II" being added on.

I'm so deprived of cool that I thought this was cool.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: the Crazy Un-Called-for Sound Encore BUG, MAN!!!

Post by Randomizer »

I have the same problem, in my case I was listening to a video in the background while playing the game with the sounds all at 0%. Leveling up and a few other things trigger the sound returning to default settings even though the option menu still shows them set to 0%. I have to raise and lower at the sounds to get back to what I was listening to in the other window.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I'm working on a new, post v1.05 'Bug' list (haven't posted it to the forum yet - probably do that over the next couple of weeks...), and I've added this one to the list.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yeah, just quick-traveling will mess up the settings, too.

Plus, for some reason the game will sometimes play the wrong atmosphere file, and not infrequently two at a time.

So you'll be in a town, and for some reason you'll hear forest sounds and cave sounds all at once.

Then you go into options, manage to get it to turn off one background, while the other one remains.

Anyhow: Thanks, IJ.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Evnissyen wrote:Yeah, just quick-traveling will mess up the settings, too.
Apparently, Leveling-Up messes up the sound settings too - see here.

Sounds like all these sound (heh) issues are related.
Evnissyen wrote:Plus, for some reason the game will sometimes play the wrong atmosphere file, and not infrequently two at a time.

So you'll be in a town, and for some reason you'll hear forest sounds and cave sounds all at once.

Then you go into options, manage to get it to turn off one background, while the other one remains.
This is a new one. (FWIW, it's never happened to me, I don't think...)

I'll be linking to this thread in the eventual 'bugs' list, so hopefully BW will see this bug report too...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Evnissyen wrote:Yeah, just quick-traveling will mess up the settings, too.

Plus, for some reason the game will sometimes play the wrong atmosphere file, and not infrequently two at a time.

Anyhow: Thanks, IJ.
I've had occasions in towns where I'm walking along and suddenly an odd atmosphere sound will play. I just figured there was a flaky sound trigger. There's a spot near Iron Pool Dam that always plays a sound like filling up a glass of water, too.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.