STAT EFFECTS

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Krafen
Council Member

Re: STAT EFFECTS

Post by Krafen »

With a pair of Lore rings and reading the skill book, you will have Lore 5, which should help a lot.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

For the record, with Lore=0 it takes 12 INT to identify Meat Scraps :D
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

The description of Perception also mentions being able to better see hidden objects. Is this correct? I don't seen any mention of this here.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

woem wrote:The description of Perception also mentions being able to better see hidden objects. Is this correct? I don't seen any mention of this here.
Yes, that is correct - PER definitely helps with spotting hidden traps and nooks and such. You can tell this with any high-PER magic-using character - they don't need any points in Spot Hidden to find traps, etc. rather easily.

It may not be in Slarty's list, though, because the numerical relationship between PER and Spot Hidden may not be known - I'd guess that it's probably that every +5 in PER is equivalent to 1 Level in Spot Hidden; but it'd just be a guess...

Edit: It should also be noted that Slarty's original list is also missing the relationship between DEX and Move Silently - again, I think it's roughly that every +4 or +5 points in DEX is equivalent to 1 Level in Move Silently. FWIW.
Last edited by IJBall on December 5th, 2010, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Slarty wrote:
IJBall wrote:
Slarty wrote:Apologies for the caps, but I figured people would want to be able to find this topic. Here's a list of everything obvious that the stats do:

INTELLIGENCE:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for non-Magic Users [BUG])

WISDOM:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for Magic Users [BUG])
Slarty, just curious - why do you have the above two listed as "BUGs"? That's exactly the same as the way it worked in Book I, so I don't think it's a "bug", unless there's something I'm missing...
You probably missed the "non-" part. Magic Users as stated all over the manual, etc and as in Book I and the last 30 years of D&D-based games, benefit from Intelligence; Healers benefit from Wisdom. The game has those benefits reversed in this one particular.
It's worth noting that I'm pretty sure BW fixed this particular bug some time ago - it was definitely fixed as of v1.04, and looks likely to have been fixed as of v1.03. For example, in the v1.03 release notes:
Fixed a miscalculation with the way MP and HP are gained at level-up.
Though this issue may have just arisen from confusion - in fact, the way it worked in Book I is that Mages and Fighters & Rouges gain +1 MP on Level-Up for every +10 INT, while Healers and Rangers gain +1 MP on Level-up for every +10 WIS.

Either way, this issue, if there was one, was fixed with around v1.03, and now works the way it did in Book I.

Anyway, just wanted to put that on the record. :)
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

AgentTBC wrote:I hypothesize that a mage/cleric is also a better thief in many ways but I can't test this hypothesis.
I'm not too sure about this. In Book I there were traps that were immune to the spell, but that could be picked by skill anyhow. (Spoiler example)
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

[quote="Slarty"]Apologies for the caps, but I figured people would want to be able to find this topic. Here's a list of everything obvious that the stats do:

STRENGTH:
- Max Encumbrance (+4 lbs per point)
- Max Combined Weight Held in Hands to Cast Spells in Combat Only (+1 lb per 3 points)
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Unarmed, Swords, Bludgeoning, Cleaving, Throwing)
- Max HP at character creation (+1 per point)
- Max HP on level up (+1 per 10 points)
- Toxin Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

DEXTERITY:
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Piercing, Bows, Throwing)
- ToHit (+1 per 5 points)
- Armor (+1 per 5 points)
- Pick Locks (+1% per 3 points)
- Hide in Shadows (?)

ENDURANCE
- Max HP at character creation (+2 per point)
- Max HP on level up (+1 per 5 points)
- HP Regen Rate (up 1 category per 1 point)
- All Four Resistances (about +2% per 2 points)

SPEED:
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Unarmed, Swords, Bludgeoning, Cleaving, Piercing)

INTELLIGENCE:
- Max MP at character creation (+1 per point for non-Healers)
- Learn Elemental Spells (at 15, 20, and 25 INT)
- Max Learned Elemental Spells (+1 per 2 points)
- Elemental Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

WISDOM:
- Max MP at character creation (+1 per point for Healers)
- Learn Divination Spells (at 15, 20, and 25 WIS)
- Max Learned Divination Spells (+1 per 2 points)
- Disease Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

PERCEPTION:
- Max MP at character creation (+2 per point)
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 5 points)
- MP Regen Rate (up 1 category per 1 point)
- Magic Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

CONCENTRATION:
- Max Encumbrance (+2 lbs per point)
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Bows)
- Disarm Traps (+1% per 3 points?)
- Spellcasting Failure Rate (?)

quote]

I am going to try and give eschalon book1 a go. I want to try and play this series from the 1st game. I have one question that relates-Does this information go with the 1st game as well?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:
Slarty wrote:Apologies for the caps, but I figured people would want to be able to find this topic. Here's a list of everything obvious that the stats do:

STRENGTH:
- Max Encumbrance (+4 lbs per point)
- Max Combined Weight Held in Hands to Cast Spells in Combat Only (+1 lb per 3 points)
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Unarmed, Swords, Bludgeoning, Cleaving, Throwing)
- Max HP at character creation (+1 per point)
- Max HP on level up (+1 per 10 points)
- Toxin Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

DEXTERITY:
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Piercing, Bows, Throwing)
- Pick Locks (+1% per 3 points)
- Hide in Shadows (?)

ENDURANCE
- Max HP at character creation (+2 per point)
- Max HP on level up (+1 per 5 points)
- HP Regen Rate (up 1 category per 1 point)
- All Four Resistances (about +2% per 2 points)

SPEED:
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Unarmed, Swords, Bludgeoning, Cleaving, Piercing)

INTELLIGENCE:

WISDOM:

PERCEPTION:
- Max MP at character creation (+2 per point)
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 5 points)
- MP Regen Rate (up 1 category per 1 point)
- Magic Resistance (about +2% per 2 points)

CONCENTRATION:
- Max Encumbrance (+2 lbs per point)
- Max Damage (+1 per 5 points for Bows)
- Disarm Traps (+1% per 3 points?)
- Spellcasting Failure Rate (?)
I am going to try and give eschalon book1 a go. I want to try and play this series from the 1st game. I have one question that relates-Does this information go with the 1st game as well?
Pretty much, yeah.

A few things are different (for example, there's no 'cap' on the maximum number of spells you can read/learn in Book I). And MP and HP regeneration rates have 'caps' on them in Book I that they don't have in Book II. And there are probably a couple of other minor things that are different.

But, by and large, this Stats list will work for Book I as well.
NathanEschalon
Apprentice

Post by NathanEschalon »

deathknight1728 wrote: INTELLIGENCE:
WISDOM:
This isn't entirely accurate as of 1.05. Here's how it works now,

ALL CHARACTERS, regardless of class get +1 Max MP at character creation for each point of INT. The part about healers getting +1 at creation for each point of WIS is NOT TRUE. Why Healers/Rangers use INT instead of WIS for MP at character creation seems like a BUG to me??

At level up, Mages/Fighters/Rogues get +1 MP for every 10 points of INT as expected and Healers/Rangers get +1 MP for every 10 points of WIS as expected.

So, as of 1.05 the entries for INT and WIS should be:

INTELLIGENCE:
- Max MP at character creation (+1 per point for ALL CLASSES)
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for MAGICK USER, FIGHTER, ROGUE)

WISDOM:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for HEALER, RANGER)

Would BW care to comment on this?? Was this behavior changed in one of the patches or was it always this way and no one noticed??

On a side note (I'll create a new thread for this but just mention here),
* Spell Casters (Healer, Magick User) get an additional (+1) MP bonus to their base MP at level up while melee classes (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger) get (-1) MP
* The opposite is true for Hit Points, melee classes get an additional (+1) bonus to HP at level up while spell casters get (-1) HP penalty.
* The +1/-1 is only applied once every time the green plus sign level up icon is clicked. Batching levels (holding off on clicking the level up button until multiple levels of xp are earned) means fewer +1/-1 will be applied.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

NathanEschalon wrote:This isn't entirely accurate as of 1.05. Here's how it works now,

ALL CHARACTERS, regardless of class get +1 Max MP at character creation for each point of INT. The part about healers getting +1 at creation for each point of WIS is NOT TRUE. Why Healers/Rangers use INT instead of WIS for MP at character creation seems like a BUG to me??

At level up, Mages/Fighters/Rogues get +1 MP for every 10 points of INT as expected and Healers/Rangers get +1 MP for every 10 points of WIS as expected.

So, as of 1.05 the entries for INT and WIS should be:

INTELLIGENCE:
- Max MP at character creation (+1 per point for ALL CLASSES)
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for MAGICK USER, FIGHTER, ROGUE)

WISDOM:
- Max MP on level up (+1 per 10 points for HEALER, RANGER)

Would BW care to comment on this?? Was this behavior changed in one of the patches or was it always this way and no one noticed??

On a side note (I'll create a new thread for this but just mention here),
* Spell Casters (Healer, Magick User) get an additional (+1) MP bonus to their base MP at level up while melee classes (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger) get (-1) MP
* The opposite is true for Hit Points, melee classes get an additional (+1) bonus to HP at level up while spell casters get (-1) HP penalty.
* The +1/-1 is only applied once every time the green plus sign level up icon is clicked. Batching levels (holding off on clicking the level up button until multiple levels of xp are earned) means fewer +1/-1 will be applied.
The details on how the HP & MP formulas are sussed out in Book I can be found here.

Edit: While I calculated Book I HP/MP gain using +0 no-bonus and +2 bonus (by class) from a starting END/PER/etc.=10 basis, and Nathan calculates HP/MP bonuses of a +1 bonus and a -1 penalty (by class) from a starting END/PER/etc.=0 basis, these formulas actually yield the same results. So it appears HP/MP gains are calculated the same way in both Book I and Book II...